Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Azores & South Africa

Azores & South Africa

Old Jun 23, 18, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Question Azores & South Africa

Wondering how safe Capetown and South Africa is these days? I have had some people give me warnings about it in the last year.
Also am curious to learn about the Azores and Portugal because I hear they are quite beautiful. We are considering a Shoulder season trip to one of those destinations and haven not decided which nor which airline to use our Chase Rewards or Marriott Points at if we can. Suggestions and thoughts are welcome please.
Old Jun 23, 18, 4:45 pm

I have been to both (Cape Town several times....awesome)....Azores I went in April of 2017 and had an awesome time. Sun and Rain but really enjoyable. I live in NYC but took a quick flight up to Boston and flew Azores Airlines and it was great. Super cheap and nonstop and overnight. Maximized the trip. Got to Ponta Delgada and got a connecitng flight to Flores for a few days and then flew to Faial for a few days then boat to Pico for an overnight and then boat back to Faial and flew back to Ponta Delgada for a few days. Awesome trip!
Old Jun 24, 18, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
western Cape (including the Winelands) gets my vote! A couple of CPT trip reports in my signature to tempt you!

Never had any concerns about safety whatsoever ... just took normal sensible precautions (avoid dark side-street at night, don't wear 'tempting' jewellery/watches)..
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jun 25, 18, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Thank You

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
western Cape (including the Winelands) gets my vote! A couple of CPT trip reports in my signature to tempt you!

Never had any concerns about safety whatsoever ... just took normal sensible precautions (avoid dark side-street at night, don't wear 'tempting' jewellery/watches)..
Thank You. I hear South Africa particularly Cape Town is stunning. I have Always wanted to go there but I have some friends who are born and still live them that have said I might need a guide while I am there because crime has gotten so bad there.
Old Jun 25, 18, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo View Post
Thank You. I hear South Africa particularly Cape Town is stunning. I have Always wanted to go there but I have some friends who are born and still live them that have said I might need a guide while I am there because crime has gotten so bad there.
C.T. is OK, but not stunning. Stellenbosch and, to a lesser extent, Franschhoek are! We are looking forward to experiencing Hermanus as well at the end of the year.

The Crime thing depends on where you are. I have a cousin in Joíburg, but I donít want to visit him! Western Cape .... relax and enjoy, honestly! And thatís from a fairly well-travelled 73-yo. We went there for the first time 2 years ago, felt like fools for being nervous, and have ZERO reservations about returning ... again and again. Western Cape is civilised, South Africa Lite as someone said here.
Old Jun 25, 18, 12:44 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Both destinations are scenically beautiful. I just returned from the Azores, see here for my trip report. I had no issues with safety in Cape Town, but that's not to say it's a perfectly safe city as statistically it is not. I walked around with my DSLR (in Cape Town, hiking, etc) and felt perfectly fine. Just avoid the less affluent areas and maintain common street smarts and you should be fine.

Joburg, same deal. Though not as safe as Cape Town, I'd still feel alright walking around most parts of the city. I drove all over South Africa last year by myself (at age 23 at that).
Old Jun 25, 18, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You youngster! You are so brave!!
Old Dec 31, 18, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL, MR, SPG, UR, HH, UA, LUV
If you enjoy whale watching late June/ early July are great for whale watching in the Azores! They use zodiacs for whale watching trips not large vessels.

Search this Thread