Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Airline advice for New York to Dar es Salaam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Apologies if this is duplicative, I did not see this in any recent topic. I am starting my planning for a 2019 safari, and I am inquiring about any guidance/advice on which airline to book for a NY-area airport to Dar es Salaam. I know this is a broad question, but I have been overwhelmed in my initial research by all the options, and was hoping to rely on some kind expertise and/or good experiences people have had.

Ideally we would travel Premium Economy, for all the logical reasons given how darn long the flights add up to be. Unfortunately, I can't see us affording anything above that.

Many thanks for any insight!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: *G
im not in NY, so cant help you on that part.

most safari operators are based in Arusha and start a pick up at arusha airport or kilimanjaro airport (another 50km away)

atleast a few carriers fly longhaul to kilimanjaro, such as KLM and Turkish. if you do not care for Dar es Salaam, then fly directly to these airports and skip the hassle of transiting through DAR... which depending on landing time might even involve an overnight
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
None of the international airlines serving DAR offer true premium economy (although KLM does have economy plus)

If you can't face the full trip in economy then an overnight stop in Amsterdam or Zurich would break the journey nicely into two 7-8 hour flights
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Personally I would fly into Nairobi. The flights are generally cheaper because of competition and there is PE on BA and AF, etc. AF flies the new 787 and BA has a trusty old 747. LX and LH also fly there as well as all the Gulf carriers. From there I would rent a car or find some transport for the 4 hour drive to Arusha. See the countryside a bit!

And I agree about spending a day or two in the transit city. Your body will thank you. Find some time to visit Nairobi or have a DIY day at Nakuru.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Personally I would fly into Nairobi. The flights are generally cheaper because of competition and there is PE on BA and AF, etc. AF flies the new 787 and BA has a trusty old 747. LX and LH also fly there as well as all the Gulf carriers. From there I would rent a car or find some transport for the 4 hour drive to Arusha. See the countryside a bit!

And I agree about spending a day or two in the transit city. Your body will thank you. Find some time to visit Nairobi or have a DIY day at Nakuru.
Just to add to that KQ starts flying non-stop in October JFK-NBO, although they don't offer PE.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
For safari you'd probably be best off flying to Kilimanjaro Airport. That's what I'd have done. KL, TK, ET and probably others fly there to. If you fly to Nairobi you have to deal with border crossings etc, and all the best parks are on the Tanzanian side of the border anyway.
If you fly to Dar, be aware that traffic to/from the airport can be horrible in the daytime. Rush hour in Dar es Salaam can easily mean 1-2 hours in traffic.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Swedescott
Apologies if this is duplicative, I did not see this in any recent topic. I am starting my planning for a 2019 safari, and I am inquiring about any guidance/advice on which airline to book for a NY-area airport to Dar es Salaam. I know this is a broad question, but I have been overwhelmed in my initial research by all the options, and was hoping to rely on some kind expertise and/or good experiences people have had.

Ideally we would travel Premium Economy, for all the logical reasons given how darn long the flights add up to be. Unfortunately, I can't see us affording anything above that.

Many thanks for any insight!
ET just opened service to ADD with a quick stopover in LFW from EWR. From ADD you could connect down to DAR. I've flown both ET long haul a couple of times in E and really enjoyed the product. I'm a tall guy (6'4") and found my E seat to be comfortable and enjoyed the food. I'll be flying EWR-LFW-ADD this November in an exit row and will be happy to update you if you haven't decided on flights by then.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold; FB Gold; Hertz Gold
As noted by others, there are no true PE options to Tanzania. Assuming, then, that you're travelling in Y here are my thoughts based on years of living here:

LX (DAR)
  • Decent reliable product, good connection times.
  • Good arrival / departure times in Tanzania (late evening). Will require overnight in Dar if immediately travelling to elsewhere in the country.
  • Good lounges in ZRH if you have access to them.
KL (DAR or JRO)
  • Decent reliable product, good connection times, ok lounge in AMS.
  • Good arrival / departure times in Tanzania (late evening), travel directly to Arusha if your trip begins / ends there.
  • Beware that they fly the 777 on the route on some days (vs. an A330 on others), with 3-4-3 seating in Y
TK (DAR, JRO, or ZNZ)
  • Decent reliable product, good lounge in IST, but narrow-body 737 on the IST-Tanzania leg.
  • The Y cabin on the Africa-bound 739s are pretty comfortable, but it can still feel more constrained than a wide-body.
  • Arrival / departure times in Tanzania are pretty terrible, i.e. 3-5am.
ET (DAR, JRO, or ZNZ)
  • Average product, somewhat hectic connection process in Addis.
  • Bad arrival / departure times in Dar (3-5am) for flights connecting from North America.
  • Y service onboard not great.
  • Seat-blocking for Star Gold members means a much higher chance of a free seat next to you. Generally lower load factors in my experience as well.
EK (DAR)
  • Great soft product, decent connection times, great lounge in DXB
  • Good arrival time in Dar (mid-afternoon) allows same-day connection to other destinations in Tanzania.
  • Hard product not great on leg to Dar, 777 in 3-4-3 configuration
QR (DAR, JRO, ZNZ)
  • Great soft product, g​ood connection times. great lounge in DXB
  • Good arrival time in Dar (mid-afternoon) allows same-day connection to other destinations in Tanzania.
  • Narrow-body on DOH-Tanzania leg can feel more cramped.
EY (DAR)
  • Ok soft product, ok connection times, good lounge in AUH.
  • Code-share with Precision Air allows through-ticketing to JRO / ZNZ / elsewhere from the US.
  • Narrow-body on DOH-Tanzania leg can feel more cramped.
I've sent you a PM as well.

Regards
konagirl2 and gemdigital like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: *G
Qatar flies a small Airbus to Zanzibar in afternoon, where it is easy to connect to DAR, JRO, ARU , etc
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by W126Pilot
As noted by others, there are no true PE options to Tanzania. Assuming, then, that you're travelling in Y here are my thoughts based on years of living here:

ET (DAR, JRO, or ZNZ)
  • Average product, somewhat hectic connection process in Addis.
  • Bad arrival / departure times in Dar (3-5am) for flights connecting from North America.
  • Y service onboard not great.
  • Seat-blocking for Star Gold members means a much higher chance of a free seat next to you. Generally lower load factors in my experience as well.

Regards
With the exception of EWR, all other ET North American flights would connect to the mid morning flights that arrive in early afternoon in Tanzania.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Many, many thanks for these thoughtful replies! I very much appreciate the generosity of thought as we plan for the trip. I am always amazed at how much all of you diehard travelers know, and are willing to share. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.