FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Cycling in the SEYCHELLES (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1911071-cycling-seychelles.html)

bulbmogul May 25, 2018 2:12 am

Cycling in the SEYCHELLES

I am thinking of flying to the Seychelles for 10 days in September and cycling will be one of my top priorities. Has anyone here have any hands on experience in doing so? I am a road cyclist and this would be what my interest is..

RustyC May 26, 2018 2:29 pm

My favorite of the three islands I stayed on, La Digue, is just built for cycling and it's the primary way most people get around. Guesthouses rent the bikes and it's really wonderful to be able to do it that way with only a few vehicles. There's some slightly hilly terrain in the north and east, but the main area between the ferry port and the park with Anse Source d'Argent is pretty flat.

It's also do-able on Praslin, but that's a bigger island and with more vehicles and more ups and downs. Would not recommend for Mahe, as that's outright mountainous and with even more vehicles (and roads that aren't done to western standards). I used a combination of car rents and public buses on Mahe and Praslin. U might make something motorized work and with determination could use a bike on Mahe, but I don't think it'd be very enjoyable.

The Seychelles are really wonderful and the ME3 airlines have done a lot for making them easier to get to, though hopefully only a limited number of people will figure that out. It's teetering in a delicate place now and hopefully becomes neither too exclusive (i.e. another St. Bart's) nor too heavily visited (another Phuket).

bulbmogul May 27, 2018 7:39 am

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 29796901)
My favorite of the three islands I stayed on, La Digue, is just built for cycling and it's the primary way most people get around. Guesthouses rent the bikes and it's really wonderful to be able to do it that way with only a few vehicles. There's some slightly hilly terrain in the north and east, but the main area between the ferry port and the park with Anse Source d'Argent is pretty flat.

It's also do-able on Praslin, but that's a bigger island and with more vehicles and more ups and downs. Would not recommend for Mahe, as that's outright mountainous and with even more vehicles (and roads that aren't done to western standards). I used a combination of car rents and public buses on Mahe and Praslin. U might make something motorized work and with determination could use a bike on Mahe, but I don't think it'd be very enjoyable.

The Seychelles are really wonderful and the ME3 airlines have done a lot for making them easier to get to, though hopefully only a limited number of people will figure that out. It's teetering in a delicate place now and hopefully becomes neither too exclusive (i.e. another St. Bart's) nor too heavily visited (another Phuket).

Hi there and thanks alot for your input on this. I am a road cyclist meaning a carbon fiber 10lb bike, 23mm tires and carbon deep dish racing wheels. I want to ride main roads and was hoping there is a costal road that would be rideable on the main island that you land on that has the airport..? I want to be able to hop on the bike from my hotel and ride..:) I am use to insane traffic riding in Sri Lanka for the last 10+ years 5 months out of the year. I just want to go and say I rode my bike in SEYCHELLES...

drseagrass May 27, 2018 6:38 pm

I don't have experience with cycling--we rented a car on a visit a couple years back and traveled through Mahé and Praslin over a couple weeks, but your plan is not crazy if you have experience biking in Sri Lanka. The roads are narrow with no shoulders, the drivers can be aggressive, and even the roads closest to the ocean on Mahé have mountainous grades, but it is a beautiful country to visit and it would be a tremendous experience to cycle down some of those roads. Outside of the capital of Victoria, on Mahé, the traffic is not unbearable. There are ferries to Praslin and La Digue from Mahé, and I would highly recommend a visit to one of those islands, but if your time is short, there is plenty to do on Mahé.

deniah May 28, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by bulbmogul (Post 29798690)
Hi there and thanks alot for your input on this. I am a road cyclist meaning a carbon fiber 10lb bike, 23mm tires and carbon deep dish racing wheels. I want to ride main roads and was hoping there is a costal road that would be rideable on the main island that you land on that has the airport..? I want to be able to hop on the bike from my hotel and ride..:) I am use to insane traffic riding in Sri Lanka for the last 10+ years 5 months out of the year. I just want to go and say I rode my bike in SEYCHELLES...

The lightest production bikes are around 13 pounds. Unless you meant the bike without the weight of the wheels

bulbmogul May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 29802137)
The lightest production bikes are around 13 pounds. Unless you meant the bike without the weight of the wheels

Several years ago I purchased a Trek EMONDA SLR10 and it is total bike without pedals 10lbs out the door. At that time it was the lightest production bike made in the USA. I also have several Pinarello F10's in the 13lb range with my German Meilenstein Obermayer Wheel set...