Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town flights and hotels and all that

Old May 18, 18, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Good Day All.
Time to tap collective wisdom of you all.
Will be flying to Capetown for a cruise Feb next year and seeking advice re flights hotels etc./
Flying from NCL so obviously have Emirates and maybe even Qatar ex EDI as well as BA ex LHR .
Is it best to use old 747 direct or 380 to Joburg and change.
Left field might be Ethopian airways on A350 with 2 hour stop in Addis.
Just checked there and they are saying only 1 seat left in First at the moment.
A bit of a come on that I believe or are they that good????!!!!
Would also welcome advice for hotels in CPT.
Obviously not unlimited budget so Sofitel range or slightly cheaper.
Would be spending a week afrer cruise so any reccomendations re sights etc.
Would love to try ex EU or Dublin but would probably be flying on my own in that case!!!
Old May 18, 18, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No comment about flights, but see the 2 CPT TRs in my signature.

1. Well pleased with The Cullinan in C.T., and from you POV the free shuttle to the V&A Waterfront could be a bonus.

2: Post-cruise you have plenty of time for two or so days each in C.T., Stellenbosch and Franschhoek ... again, my TRs may tempt you.

February should be nice weather, too. Feel free to PM regarding hotels. I can also recommend a private taxi driver to do the connections.
msm2000uk likes this.

Last edited by T8191; May 18, 18 at 8:19 am
Old May 18, 18, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Really depends on what floats your boat (no pun intended) in terms of accomodation / stuff to do on the city portions of holidays etc but we were utterly underwhelmed by the V+A Waterfront. Just like going for dinner in Canary Wharf. We actually stayed in a little apartment complex down the road in Camps Bay and that worked really well - lovely views out to sea, good sunsets etc.

Table mountain was absolutely amazing - we went up twice as the second time the clouds had cleared a bit and we got some unbelievable photos.

Cape point also good for hiking and views. And if you have a whole week I wold even consider 2-3 nights in e.g. Franschoek or Stellenbosch if vino is your thing. Franschoek is absolutely beautiful.

Hope that helps. Flight wise we were using up a BA Amex 241 and couldn't get any WTP / J / F availability direct so we went via JNB and booked Comair flights internaly. All was fine.
Discus likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fairness, I wouldn’t call the V&A a dining location ... it’s mainly a Shopping Mall!!

I would go for S’bosch over F’hoek any day ... it has so much more on offer (apart from the Wine Tours!). We just have an addiction for a certain F’hoek hotel
Roger likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
In terms of flights, I really like the non-stops to South Africa. They leave in the evening, perfect timing for either leisurely dinner in the lounge or on board, a drink or two and maybe a movie, then a decent time to rest before breakfast and arrival. That way we arrive suitably refreshed, rested and raring to go. It's fine to add a short hop on either end, but I wouldn't want to break the long flight into two shorter segments.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 8:55 am

First, if you can avoid JNB, do. Second, Hotels - (1) The Table Bay at V&A is a very nice hotel and connected to the mall. The V&A waterfront is a nice place to stay and safe. (2) The Bay Hotel in Camps Bay also has a great location.
Old May 18, 18, 9:05 am

I'd always go for the shortest possible route. JNB is ok but the lounges at both are pretty similar, perfectly decent but nothing worth a detour. If you can go direct to CPT then do so.

My favourite area to stay in the city is De Waterkant. Lots of great B&Bs and guest houses and close enough to everywhere you might want to go. Dont stay at the V&A - its expensive and is really just a large shopping mall. You could be anywhere.
Old May 18, 18, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
In fairness, I wouldn’t call the V&A a dining location ... it’s mainly a Shopping Mall!!

I would go for S’bosch over F’hoek any day ... it has so much more on offer (apart from the Wine Tours!). We just have an addiction for a certain F’hoek hotel
Which hotel out of interest?

We did both towns btw - I just loved the views inside the mountain bowl in Franschoek. The town itself is a bit twee / chocolate box-ey (actually reminded me of Carmel without the Clint Eastwood connection). But the views were great. And as we were there primarily for wine tasting it was ideal. But Stellenbosch is definitely more of a 'real' town I guess.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pascoe ... agreed on the ‘reality’ of S’bosch, as I have noted by PM to the OP.
Old May 18, 18, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pascoe View Post
Which hotel out of interest?
Sorry, missed your question.

Franschhoek Country House and Villa's - A 5 Star Luxury Hotel Accommodation experience in the Heart of the Franschhoek Valley | FCH

A mile out of town but with a free shuttle bus (do tip the driver a couple of ZAR). Any establishment in town will phone (free) for the pick-up.
Pascoe likes this.
Old May 18, 18, 7:00 pm

I was thinking about making the same trip to Cape Town, but I can not find good flights from the city where I am living right now, and the information I find about hotels and activities is not enough for me to decide, what would you recommend?
Old May 21, 18, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Sorry, missed your question.

Franschhoek Country House and Villa's - A 5 Star Luxury Hotel Accommodation experience in the Heart of the Franschhoek Valley FCH

A mile out of town but with a free shuttle bus (do tip the driver a couple of ZAR). Any establishment in town will phone (free) for the pick-up.
Cool - thanks. we were also a little way out but it wasn't too bad and I loved the views being unobscured by buildings (not that Franschoek is exactly high rise)
Old May 21, 18, 1:07 pm

We stayed at this villa in Franschhoek. View is incredible. We booked on AirBnB but it looks like this option works too.
Franschhoek Pass Villa

Very private and has two bedrooms.
Old May 22, 18, 8:15 am

Programs: QR,VS
Just to jump in, if you want to check out some cool wineries in Cape Town itself, check out Beau Constantia and Constantia Glen (both opposite each other visually, although you have to use the public road to connect between the two). Great settings and food too. Not a substitute for the Stellenbosch/Franschhoek experience, just something some locals introduced me to.

Agreed on avoiding the V&A if possible.
Old May 24, 18, 7:16 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG
Disagree on the V&A advice. We stayed there and loved it. Lively area at night with many good dining options. Safe to walk around, even at night.

Search this Thread