Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Tour recommendations: Kenya & Tanzania

Tour recommendations: Kenya & Tanzania

Old Mar 21, 18, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Red face Tour recommendations: Kenya & Tanzania

Can anyone recommend a good tour company for combo Best of Kenya & Tanzania? I am thinking of Friendly Planet or Natural World but am open to suggestions.
Also, our time frame is flexible - what is best month to go from July to October?
many thanks
Old Mar 25, 18, 1:54 am

Programs: FB, EC, HHonors, SPG
Im based in Kenya at the moment and we book all our guests and local trips via Mario Tours and Travel. Just google them up. Would highly recommend them

July would be considered a peak time and prices are on the high side. October is a good time to experience the countries when prices will be down and less tourists plus still plenty of wildlife.
Old Mar 25, 18, 5:36 am

I booked two recent trips to Africa, including Kenya, through AndBeyond. They were great to work with!
Old Mar 30, 18, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
If you are going on a safari in Tanzania you don't need a tour. You need a private safari booked with a local safari operator. Cost will be the same or less and you will have the safari truck to yourselves. I started my safari planning thinking I need a tour and ended up going private. We go at the end of August for 10 days northern Tanzania safari booked with ETripAfrica.
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:50 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Question s on your booking

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
If you are going on a safari in Tanzania you don't need a tour. You need a private safari booked with a local safari operator. Cost will be the same or less and you will have the safari truck to yourselves. I started my safari planning thinking I need a tour and ended up going private. We go at the end of August for 10 days northern Tanzania safari booked with ETripAfrica.
We plan to go to Tanzania mid December and would like to do safaris at as many as three parks in Tanzania and Kenya.. I agree with you totally on booking with a local safari operator. We were in Kruger last year and had done the whole package thing and felt we should have done it differently. Live and learn.

I will look forward to hearing how everything goes for you. Did you book with the properties separately?
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Jeannietx View Post
We plan to go to Tanzania mid December and would like to do safaris at as many as three parks in Tanzania and Kenya.. I agree with you totally on booking with a local safari operator. We were in Kruger last year and had done the whole package thing and felt we should have done it differently. Live and learn.

I will look forward to hearing how everything goes for you. Did you book with the properties separately?
Jeannie, my safari operator has booked everything, lodges, driver and car, park fees. It's all one price. TZ safaris are different than SA, you have the same driver with you the whole time. Do not try to do both Kenya and Tanzania in one trip. The safari companies cannot operate in other countries, pick one or the other. Our safari will visit 4 parks, Arusha NP, Tarangire, Ngorongoro crater, and 2 locations in the Serengeti. Then we will fly back to JRO from the northern/Mara Serengeti on day 10.
Old Apr 10, 18, 7:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Back to Africa

Our first safari, which was in 2016, booked us London to Johannesburg round trip, and all of the other flights etc, had us flying 8 flights in 13 days. This may be fine for younger people, but we were exhausted. They also had us going to Victoria Falls which would have been great except we got to our accommodations so worn out we never even saw the falls. Pretty much the only thing I remember are the game drives, which I loved. We were at Kruger,where it had been very dry, so saw lots of wildlife.

This was totally bad judgment on my part to turn all of the itinerary schedule over to someone else, and they had these set time frames and schedules. Cape of Good Hope, wine country, safari, Victoria Falls.

This time we plan to book our international flights, probably IAH-GRU or IAH -GIG spend a couple of days then on to Johannesburg, rest a day or two then fly to Dar es Salaam. We want to go on 3 or 4 safaris of 4 or 5 nights each. Right now the thought is Tanzania, Kenya, and South Africa. We will have plenty of time to do this. We figure on leaving the US in early to mid December. Our transportation leaving Africa is a ship that we will board January 20, 2019 in Cape Town. I want to do this right this time.

No tents, 40 years ago I loved camping, not anymore. So nice air conditioned lodges with wonderful indoor showers. Very comfortable king size beds.

I think I would like to do private this time,

Any words of wisdom, recommendations, etc will be appreciated.
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:01 pm

If we got ourselves to Kenya we could then get the safari operator in Kenya?
Old Apr 10, 18, 8:02 pm

Sorry duplivcate post.
Old Apr 11, 18, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Our first safari, which was in 2016, booked us London to Johannesburg round trip, and all of the other flights etc, had us flying 8 flights in 13 days. This may be fine for younger people, but we were exhausted. They also had us going to Victoria Falls which would have been great except we got to our accommodations so worn out we never even saw the falls. Pretty much the only thing I remember are the game drives, which I loved. We were at Kruger,where it had been very dry, so saw lots of wildlife.

This was totally bad judgment on my part to turn all of the itinerary schedule over to someone else, and they had these set time frames and schedules. Cape of Good Hope, wine country, safari, Victoria Falls.

This time we plan to book our international flights, probably IAH-GRU or IAH -GIG spend a couple of days then on to Johannesburg, rest a day or two then fly to Dar es Salaam. We want to go on 3 or 4 safaris of 4 or 5 nights each. Right now the thought is Tanzania, Kenya, and South Africa. We will have plenty of time to do this. We figure on leaving the US in early to mid December. Our transportation leaving Africa is a ship that we will board January 20, 2019 in Cape Town. I want to do this right this time.

No tents, 40 years ago I loved camping, not anymore. So nice air conditioned lodges with wonderful indoor showers. Very comfortable king size beds.

I think I would like to do private this time,

Any words of wisdom, recommendations, etc will be appreciated.
Travelling via Brazil will require a Yellow Fever vaccination for entry into South Africa.
Old Apr 11, 18, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
Travelling via Brazil will require a Yellow Fever vaccination for entry into South Africa.
Yes we have already had yellow fever vaccination.
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:00 am

If we got ourselves to Kenya we could then get the safari operator in Kenya?
If you want to do a safari in Tanzania you have to hire one in TZ. There is a bus from Nairobi to Arusha where most TZ safaris start from. My advice to you is go on Trip Advisor, to the Tanzania and Kenya threads, and read up about safaris. Ask your questions there; I used the advice of the regulars to help select my SO and plan the itinerary.

Last edited by susiesan; Apr 15, 18 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 11, 18, 4:11 pm

Thank you!
Old Apr 14, 18, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I would be very interested in your journey and safaris if you have a chance to come back here after your safaris.
Old Apr 15, 18, 1:48 pm

[QUOTE=Jeannietx;29641407]I would be very interested in your journey and safaris if you have a chance to come back here after your safaris.[/QUOTE )
My safari is not until Aug. 30 so my report may be too late for you. But I will be reporting back here after I return.If you want to PM me I will give you the name of the SO I am using.

Search this Thread