Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever vacine? Zimbabwe, Botswana, Cape Town - yellow fever vacine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:34 pm
dcd
Original Poster

Hello,
We need help with clarity on any yellow fever vaccine requirement. We will have the following itinerary:

* Ethiopia flight connection at Addis Ababa (ADD); 2,5 hrs (going) and 1.5 hrs (returning) transfer at ADD airport.
* 3 nights in Zimbabwe including 1 day trip to Botswana (Chobe River NP); 4th night stay is subject to change.
* 7+2 nights in South Africa.
* 1+1 nights in Botswana (Gab)
* Return flight connection is also at Dublin

I visited the travel clinic and met with the infectious disease doctor. He said since my connection at ADD is less than 12-hr, I don't need a yellow fever vaccine. He did give me a prescription for malaria.

My husband discussed this same subject with another (his) health carrier/clinic. However, he was advised to have the yellow fever vaccine.

Which is correct? Thanks in advance

I visited the infectious doctor at travel clinic, he said that I don't need yellow fever vacine
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We got the Yellow Fever shots before going to parts of South America. They were not required, but recommended by those who should know, but also it is there business to sell travel medicine. We later took a trip deep into the Amazon, another place where there was recommendations, not requirements. We later went on a trip to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe, again such shoot were recommended but not required. We are glad we got them on the first recommendation. It has made life easier many times. It is a modest cost to amortize for peace of mind.

We also did Malaria pills in Africa, not required, but highly recommended for our trip.

The advice you received from these two are not incompatible.

You can also ponder hep A shots, and B. and many others
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I would recommend looking at what the CDC recommends for travel to a specific destinations.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list

And then look at the equivalent sites for the countries you are visiting.
dcd likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Tanzania requires yellow fever vaccine. If you cross by land from Kenya, which doesn't require, you can stand in line and get vaccinated. 100USD.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I don’t think any of those areas have Yellow Fever, while any/all may require a certificate for travelling from certain destinations. However, I’d recommend getting it as a precaution. There has been an outbreak in parts of Africa (Uganda, DRC and nearby areas), and regulations can change more quickly than your government’s advice. I *almost* got caught out on that basis, when travelling to Uganda. That said, I would have no fear of being vaccinated on arrival, if caught out (though Uganda has been known to both vaccinate and quarantine).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:46 am
dcd
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! Your info is very helpful.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by catcher1
Tanzania requires yellow fever vaccine. If you cross by land from Kenya, which doesn't require, you can stand in line and get vaccinated. 100USD.
This is incorrect. Tanzania does not require YF vaccine if flying in from a non YF country with a short connection. I will fly to JRO in August for a safer in Tanzania with ET, connecting in ADD. I do not need a YF vaccine, although I have had it before.

Do your own research into country specific requirements as info here on FT is not always accurate and up to date.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:35 am

https://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php...th-africa.html will show you the list of countries that require yellow fever vaccine to enter South Africa. We entered via Nairobi this summer and were asked for yellow cards in order to board flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.