Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Debating on African safari - best tour operators?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion

I’m debating on doing an African safari next year, trying to do some preliminary research on the best tour operators. I’ve sort of narrowed it down to Abercrombie & Kent or Tauck. I’ve heard Micato is quite good but it’s about double the price of the other two and it doesn’t seem to provide any more value.

Does anyone have opinions or first hand experience with taking A&K or Tauck? It seems the prices of both companies are quite comparable so really boils down to the best experience, guides, and accommodation.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:18 am

No personal experience. Both use private air for internal flights. I think Tauk includes the cost in the posted price and Abercrombie adds it to the price.

Dates and availability might affect your decision.

Consider Luxurygold
Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:45 pm

We used Big Five they were outstanding can not say enough. Also our guide then 2020 has now gone out on his own Garth Poole
garethpoole_safaris he made it so great
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
Africa is a big place. Depends on what countries you are going to, what you want to see and how you want to do the safari- luxury camps/lodges, canoeing, camping, gameviewers, or walking. I skipped over many other fun things. A few I recommend you contact independent operators. Then there are guides that will take you to specific parts of a country(s) like John Stevens. There are a tour operators that have people out every season like Craig Beal of Travel Beyond that know the the parks, camps and what you will see during the seasons. The most important thing you must do in making a decision is talk to a few of the above, build up a rapport, and not let anyone tell you what you will like but why it will fit what you like. So be prepared to talk about what you enjoy to help inform them. Don't make quick decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.