Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:26 pm

Thanks! That's what I suspected. The guy who told me this was very sure of his information, but he also said that Moscow used to have such a problem earlier. Now, I've flown to and from Moscow airports lots of times, and although they may not be up to Schiphol standards, there's really nothing to fear by using those airports, so I suspected that the information about ADD was wildly exaggerated based on just a couple of cases that he had heard about.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:59 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
transfer t2-t1

Have transitted through ADD often enough, but always t2-t2... will be doing t2-t1 in a couple of weeks (LHR-ADD-JUB).

Since t1 is largely domestic, do I have to immigrate into Ethiopia to get to it, or is there any airside/foreign transfer? The LHR flight often (usually) arrives at a jetbridge and transfer passengers are just guided straight upstairs to departures... where should I go?

In reverse, I'm going to have a long layover and will use the visa/hotel - if I don't get the voucher at JUB, do I have to transfer back to t2 to the transit desk to get it issued?

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Since t1 is largely domestic, do I have to immigrate into Ethiopia to get to it, or is there any airside/foreign transfer? The LHR flight often (usually) arrives at a jetbridge and transfer passengers are just guided straight upstairs to departures... where should I go?
There is a shuttle bus from T2 to T1 airside which you should use to transfer. It is painless and runs every few minutes. The bus leaves from the lower level arrivals bus gate (at the western end of T2 where the buses from the aircraft drop you off). If you can't find it, just ask one of the many ET staff on the arrivals concourse (before immigration) and they will direct you.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:05 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Very straightforward

thanks B747etc it was indeed as simple as you say to transfer t2-t1 (bus pic below).

on the return, I didn't get a voucher in Juba but the bus from the plane made a stop at t1 and then continued to t2 where I was able to stop by the desk (and get a room at the Empire, which is a little less than I expected as a *G but actually has worked very well for a wander around a corner of Addis)

B747-437B likes this.

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Feb 25, 2019 at 4:02 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
a room at the Empire, which is a little less than I expected as a *G but actually has worked very well for a wander around a corner of Addis
Honestly, Empire is among the better hotel options for Economy Class passengers nowadays. You could do a LOT worse.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Honestly, Empire is among the better hotel options for Economy Class passengers nowadays. You could do a LOT worse.
Do you know if the brand new Ethiopian Skylight Hotel will be accessible to ET/Star Gold also travelling in Y or only to C9 pax?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Do you know if the brand new Ethiopian Skylight Hotel will be accessible to ET/Star Gold also travelling in Y or only to C9 pax?
Are they even giving it to Cloud Nine pax? I've been through Addis once since it opened, and my wife has been through as well on a different date, and both times we got the Radisson Blu as C9 pax rather than the new property.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Are they even giving it to Cloud Nine pax? I've been through Addis once since it opened, and my wife has been through as well on a different date, and both times we got the Radisson Blu as C9 pax rather than the new property.
Look likes it has yet to open thus, as you said, ET still sends people to the Radisson. Maybe, it's wrong but there was a video mentioning this - not specifically J pax but more generally - ET pax on long transits or disruptions would go there. And since it's a 5 star property it would be logical to keep it for premium clients only I guess.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Houminer
Connected twice in Jan 2019.
I agree that the connection is very very easy.
One point - one of my connection was during very early AM. The terminal was freezing, everywhere, also in the lounges. Dress warm!
I just did a transit at ADD very early in the morning and it was not at all cold. YMMV.

But I am confused about the lounge. For my transit, VIE-ADD-EBB I did not have to go through security. I looked for the lounge, but there are no signs for any lounge. I asked an ET employee and they said I would have to exit airside to use the lounge. I saw through the glass a huge security line. I had a bit less than an hour so I just went to my gate and sat in a hard plastic chair.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by stimpy
I just did a transit at ADD very early in the morning and it was not at all cold. YMMV.

But I am confused about the lounge. For my transit, VIE-ADD-EBB I did not have to go through security. I looked for the lounge, but there are no signs for any lounge. I asked an ET employee and they said I would have to exit airside to use the lounge. I saw through the glass a huge security line. I had a bit less than an hour so I just went to my gate and sat in a hard plastic chair.
In ADD it's not exactly landside/airdside in airside there is pre-security and post security. The lounges are pre security.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: TK E+ *G, AA Gold, A7 *S
Just a few more pics to share taken in late January from the new portion of the terminal. Interesting that the signs are now in Chinese, along with English and Amharic. The new area definitely has a little more shine than the older areas, but has the same overall feel. My biggest disappointment is that (1) the bathrooms in the new extension are still extremely small, for example, the men's room in upstairs extension has just 2 stalls and (2) gates are still beyond security with absolutely no services/shops. The only improvement I noticed is the downstairs extension area does have vending machines, but I never have understood why they can't be like a normal airport and have full restaurants and shops gate side.

Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

KQ to KQ/Back to back

Hi,
I saw some great fares with Kenya Airways for trips ending/beginning in ADD. I was wondering how is it [rather how easy] is it to do a back to back transfer at ADD when arriving with Kenya Airways and departing again with the return flight. So far I am interested in the flights arriving from NBO at 1.55 am and departing at 3.30 am. [I am assuming here it is the same plane that flies back to NBO]
How will my check-in luggage be handled and how will I be handled from immigration/transit point of view?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Transit Visa

Hi-
i have a 14 hour layover in ADD - traveling from NBO to SEZ via ADD on ET but as per Ethiopian Airlines I won’t be eligible for free hotel since there is another earlier flight available which reduces the layover time. SinCe the longer layover works better with my travel plans (we are family of 3 with a young child) I have booked a room at Hyatt Regency on points. My question is can I still get free transit visa? I don’t mind paying footprint the hotel and transportation costs. The alternative would be to get tourist eVisa which would cost $156 for family of 3. Or should I pay for transit visa on arrival? I don’t see too much cost saving between tourist VOA and transit visa. Am I seeing the costs wrong? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, our flight arrives at 7:40 pm. Is this considered rush hour and lines would be long for transit and/or immigration desks? Also, our flight leaves next morning at 9:40 am. Is arriving to airport 2 hours before the flight is sufficient? We are traveling eceonomy.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Transit ADD with luggage

Hi all- I am flying FRA ADD on ET with climbing gear. I then connect with another ET flight to JRO. My daughter is arriving into ADD on SV and joining me on the same ET flight. We are both on the same PNR for the connecting flight. I am assuming that we both need to clear customs and immigration, gather our bags, and recheck onto the connecting ET flight to JRO together. I am also assuming that we need e-visas to do this and avoid the immigration mess. Do I have this correct or is there an easier option. We have plenty of time- she has eight hours and I have five to make the connection.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:41 am

75 min connection in ADD

I’m looking at a 75min connection from DUB-ADD-CPT in December, ET to ET (flight ET713 to ET847) - is it doable? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.