Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks B747-437B. Very helpful. ^
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Originally Posted by B747-437B
https://www.evisa.gov.et/

Online application - usually approved within 24 hours. Cost is $50 (+$2 processing fee).
Can't he get a transit visa? (especially for a such short duration)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Can someone explain the double entry transit visa thing? (https://www.ethioembassy.org.uk/fees-table/#step-2)
Can this visa be obtained on arrival? if not possible, can multiple entry visa be granted at the airport?
Answering my own questions but it might help future travellers.
Transit visas and multiple entry visa can only be obtained at the embassy or consulate prior departure.
At ADD, as B747-437B perfectly explained either you are transiting with ET and you pay a usd 20 transit fee and get a hotel voucher or you go to visa on arrival for the $50 single entry visa.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Can I just confirm that transit visa in ADD [VoA] is $50 for 12-24h transit?

Looking at the embassy website they now have two price bands for transit visas: up to 12h and up to 24h, whereas I understand it was previously one [and lower than the standard tourist visa] for transit up to 24h.

ETA: I booked 19h layover on purpose [there are three earlier flights to my destination] as I wanted to go into the city for a bit [as well as fly on B787 instead of B737 ]

Last edited by jms_uk; Dec 9, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Can I just confirm that transit visa in ADD [VoA] is $50 for 12-24h transit?

Looking at the embassy website they now have two price bands for transit visas: up to 12h and up to 24h, whereas I understand it was previously one [and lower than the standard tourist visa] for transit up to 24h.

ETA: I booked 19h layover on purpose [there are three earlier flights to my destination] as I wanted to go into the city for a bit [as well as fly on B787 instead of B737 ]
Yes I can definitely confirm that! However here is my recent KQ to KQ transfer experience at ADD (as posted on the premium fare deals section too):

2st stop of 4h: Due to a schedule change of the inbound flight (KQ452 instead of KQ404) overnight layover at ADD went from 8h to 4h, which was a good news actually.
Upon disembarking, considering the previous story, I went straight to immigration to ask the single entry visa, but I commented on the fact that is was pity that no one could get the transit visas directly here at the counter. The kind officer anwered me to go upstairs at ET transfer desk. From here a cool chap dealt with the situation. He took the luggage tags and next flight booking reference and said that luggages will be transfered to NBO and onward on KQ flights and I will need to collect the BP upon boarding at the gate. Really I could not believe him and kept thinking what will go wrong - but I did not have too many options either. After, I was admitted to the much better Cloud 9 lounge (while flying Eco with KQ and without BP...) whereas few days ago, entry was only permitted at the Gold lounge ( flying J and holding a BP ).

I proceeded to the gate relatively early, and good news the BPs were printed. Staff asked if I had luggages (yes 2) but I was not given tags by one of their colleagues who told me to not to worry as they will go to KGL via NBO.

At NBO, agent Victoria from the service desk near gate 15, after a long puzzled stare, worked wonders and confirmed me before boarding to KGL that both bags were retrieved and on the way to the final destination where I got upgraded for free from KQ.
All in all a stressful but positive 2nd experience which ended very well. however I can not certify this is the standard transit non ET/*A procedure at ADD, but for sure they can do it.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
In the end, I decided to go for a visa, to [for once] make use of weak pound. As Ł32 is less than $50-52.

I did come across an interesting conundrum at the embassy [in London] where apparently all visas are valid from the moment they are issued, including the short transit ones.

So, if you get a 24 hour visa, that is all the time you have to collect it, travel and transit? Makes no sense, but the lady at the counter wasn't budging.

I had to get a 30-day tourist visa [that is the same cost as the 24 hr transit] as I wasn't going for another couple of weeks and after dropping my passport on Thursday morning [and leaving prepaid envelope], I had it delivered on Friday morning. She offered me to come and collect it that same afternoon, but I had to be at work.

Sticker is hand written and there's no photo on it [even though one was submitted].
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:21 am

Came through Addis last night and my flight boarded from one of the brand new gates in the East Terminal extension.

Definitely a HUGE improvement over the old terminal.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:49 am

Came through Addis last night and my flight boarded from one of the brand new gates in the East Terminal extension.

Definitely a HUGE improvement over the old terminal.
I've been waiting to hear that it's actually operational! Thanks for the update. I'm scheduled to transit via ADD on my way from IAD to CPT in May and hoping for the new terminal experience.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Oneworld Sapphire (QR Gold), SkyTeam Elite Plus (ITA Volare)
Are there any photos of the new terminal building? And when is it expected to be fully operational?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:48 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
any left luggage facilities?

Will be transitting through ADD next month, and thinking about taking a 12 hour transit over a 6 hour one - that would give me time to escape the airport. Does anyone know if there are any left luggage facilities at ADD? And can anyone recommend anywhere that I can get a shower on a Thursday evening before heading back to ADD (don't think that there is anywhere at ADD)?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by pineapple_juice
Are there any photos of the new terminal building? And when is it expected to be fully operational?
Grand opening is now planned for 27JAN19.

Source :
pineapple_juice likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Grand opening is now planned for 27JAN19.
ooo ooo - I'll be through in early Feb. Do we know if there will be any showers?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Freezing

Connected twice in Jan 2019.
I agree that the connection is very very easy.
One point - one of my connection was during very early AM. The terminal was freezing, everywhere, also in the lounges. Dress warm!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:42 am

I've got a question for you ADD experts out there.

I'm thinking about doing an ADD transfer at some time in the spring, but I recently met a guy who's an "expert" in traveling to Africa, and he told me some horror stories about passports that have been stolen from passengers during an ADD transfer. So, is this a real problem in simple connections? And how about with a 12 hour connection with a trip into the city center?

Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by RedChili
passports that have been stolen from passengers during an ADD transfer. So, is this a real problem in simple connections? And how about with a 12 hour connection with a trip into the city center?
I have well over 100 transits/visits to Addis and never had my passport stolen (or even attempted to be stolen). Nor do I know of anyone who has suffered that fate either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.