Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson
When ET procures a hotel for you, does your passport get stamped? I know this is an odd sounding question, but for countries that require a YF vaccine for transits over 12 hours, not having a stamp would certainly help.
Sometimes yes, but usually no.

If you are given a "token" for the transit visa (a laminated coloured cardboard piece with a number on it) then your passport will be stamped.

If you are given only the transit voucher, then the passport will not be stamped but rather the onward boarding pass will be stamped accordingly.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:40 am

If I'm arriving on ET business class from Singapore and departing on ET economy class to JRO, will I have lounge access at ADD? (no other Star Alliance status)

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdfamily
If I'm arriving on ET business class from Singapore and departing on ET economy class to JRO, will I have lounge access at ADD? (no other Star Alliance status)
Officially, access to the Cloud Nine Lounge is based upon the class of your departing flight but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Spending birr at the airport

I recall that the DF stores only take USD, but do any of the cafes/bars airside take birr, or is it USD only throughout? I'm transitting through next week, and wondering whether to take my bag of birr to try to get rid of a few, or if it's not possible at the airport...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I recall that the DF stores only take USD, but do any of the cafes/bars airside take birr, or is it USD only throughout? I'm transitting through next week, and wondering whether to take my bag of birr to try to get rid of a few, or if it's not possible at the airport...
In the past, retail/dining outlets only took USD, but from what I remember in the past year they've been taking Birr as well
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Multiple entry question

Can someone explain the double entry transit visa thing? (https://www.ethioembassy.org.uk/fees-table/#step-2)
Does it mean that one can enter twice in Ethiopia within a 24h period OR on two separate days both transit durations can not exceed 23h59?

Can this visa be obtained on arrival? if not possible, can multiple entry visa be granted at the airport?

Btw, according to Skyteam lounge finder, Kenya Airways and Saudia use Cloud Nine Lounge near gate 3 at T2.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:11 am

Is there any recent update available on the progress of the renovations works?

I have seen the expansion animation on YouTube, but wonder how the experience at Bole will be for premium passengers?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
I was randomly searching the flight status of a flight the other day and noticed that ADD has re-numbered it's gates. I'm assuming this is due to the gradual opening of the expanded terminal. If anyone is traveling via ADD soon, it would be nice to get an update on how the terminal is looking like...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ET359
I was randomly searching the flight status of a flight the other day and noticed that ADD has re-numbered it's gates. I'm assuming this is due to the gradual opening of the expanded terminal. If anyone is traveling via ADD soon, it would be nice to get an update on how the terminal is looking like...
The gate renumbering took place some months ago. Instead of the downstairs bus gate area being 1A, 1B, 1C, etc... they have made those 1,2,3,4, etc.. and kept the boarding bridges from 7 onwards I believe.

As of last week, the external work for the new terminal extension looks complete (including jetways, etc..) but no idea about the internal testing yet.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
So I arrive at 1 am and depart at 9:30am. We were going to just book the nearby best western, but if I do that do I also need to get a visa? Is it better just to book at the transit desk? I will be flying business class, but arriving on Turkish and departing in the morning in ET. Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
So I arrive at 1 am and depart at 9:30am. We were going to just book the nearby best western, but if I do that do I also need to get a visa? Is it better just to book at the transit desk? I will be flying business class, but arriving on Turkish and departing in the morning in ET. Thanks!
You have two choices.

You can be completely independent and book your own hotel and visa (which will probably be more expensive overall) but eliminate any delays or risk. At 1am, you will simply breeze through immigration and be in your hotel probably within 30 minutes of touchdown.

Alternatively, you can take your chance with purchasing an STPC package from Ethiopian (you won't be automatically entitled to this as you are on a TK-ET connection). You will be at their "mercy" as to which hotel you are assigned - probably the Radisson Blu as a Business Class passenger since the Hilton has a number of rooms currently under renovation, but for the same reason if the Radisson is full you could be placed somewhere significantly sub-standard. The "visa" is included as part of the package (not really a visa but rather a visa exemption) but you will be at ET's mercy with regards to ground transfers. This will be cheaper, but on a short 8 hour overnight, I'd personally prefer to be completely independent and stress-free rather than worrying about which hotel they are going to put me at.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by B747-437B
You have two choices.

You can be completely independent and book your own hotel and visa (which will probably be more expensive overall) but eliminate any delays or risk. At 1am, you will simply breeze through immigration and be in your hotel probably within 30 minutes of touchdown.

Alternatively, you can take your chance with purchasing an STPC package from Ethiopian (you won't be automatically entitled to this as you are on a TK-ET connection). You will be at their "mercy" as to which hotel you are assigned - probably the Radisson Blu as a Business Class passenger since the Hilton has a number of rooms currently under renovation, but for the same reason if the Radisson is full you could be placed somewhere significantly sub-standard. The "visa" is included as part of the package (not really a visa but rather a visa exemption) but you will be at ET's mercy with regards to ground transfers. This will be cheaper, but on a short 8 hour overnight, I'd personally prefer to be completely independent and stress-free rather than worrying about which hotel they are going to put me at.
thank you. I agree. How do we get a visa in advance and what is the cost?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
thank you. I agree. How do we get a visa in advance and what is the cost?
https://www.evisa.gov.et/

Online application - usually approved within 24 hours. Cost is $50 (+$2 processing fee).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B747-437B
As someone who goes through Addis more often than I would like to, I will be the first to admit that transiting there can be extremely frustrating if you don't know what to do.
Well, as they say, forewarned is forearmed and, in the light of B747-437B's comment and the fact that I have never set foot in ADD airport, I thought I would ask a few questions for a forthcoming trip:

I am scheduled to arrivie on ET703 from FCO at 6.50am and depart on KQ401 at 9:55am on separate tickets. the KQ flight will be in business class. The ET flight may or may not be in business class (base ticket is economy but I have bid for a cloud nine upgrade, the success of which I will only know a couple of days before the flight).

1) I understand that 7-9am is a very busy time at ADD but I assume that, barring a catastrophic delay to ET703, there should still be plenty of time to connect?

2) I should in principle have an online printed boarding pass for the KQ flight. Is ADD one of these places where the boarding pass needs to be stamped by immigration or some some authority in order to be able to board or can I just head to the boarding gate with my unstamped online boarding pass?

3) If, for some reason, I cannot get my online boarding pass for KQ, is there an airside transit desk I can refer to at ADD and, if so, do I just follow the green signs for connecting passengers or is there a different route to follow for transit desks?

4) Is the Cloud Nine/Star Alliance Gold fast track security channel exclusively for Cloud 9/*A G passengers as the name suggests or can business class passengers of other airlines such as KQ use it too?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
1) I understand that 7-9am is a very busy time at ADD but I assume that, barring a catastrophic delay to ET703, there should still be plenty of time to connect?

2) I should in principle have an online printed boarding pass for the KQ flight. Is ADD one of these places where the boarding pass needs to be stamped by immigration or some some authority in order to be able to board or can I just head to the boarding gate with my unstamped online boarding pass?

3) If, for some reason, I cannot get my online boarding pass for KQ, is there an airside transit desk I can refer to at ADD and, if so, do I just follow the green signs for connecting passengers or is there a different route to follow for transit desks?

4) Is the Cloud Nine/Star Alliance Gold fast track security channel exclusively for Cloud 9/*A G passengers as the name suggests or can business class passengers of other airlines such as KQ use it too?
1) You will have plenty of time to connect.

2) No, they are fine with a regular OLCI printout or even a mobile boarding pass on your phone. No stamps required.

3) Technically, if you dont have your BP already, you will need to go to the "Interline Desk" which is the same place you go for the STPC vouchers. They will tell you to wait until they track down the KQ staff who will then bring your boarding pass to the gate at boarding time where you will receive it as you board. Sounds complex but it works.

4) Officially its for Star Gold / Cloud Nine only, but I can't imagine them turning you away as a KQ premium passenger. They are usually very helpful and friendly in Addis.
NickB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.