Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADD / Addis Ababa Bole International Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I don't know if I would do it for 8 hours. By the time you get to the hotel, check in and in bed you would have at most 3 - 4 hours of sleep time. If the sleeperettes in the Cloud Nine lounge are good, hopefully I could get 3 - 4 hours there.
Having spent many hours at the Cloud Nine lounge, I can assure you there is no comparison with even the dodgiest bed at a fleabag hotel!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:52 am

Just an update. The GOLD TRACK security checkpoint has been expanded and relocated last month. It is now opposite Gate 10 and very conveniently located for all the lounges as well as the priority boarding gate.

Gold Track Security Checkpoint

Priority Bus Boarding Gate
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:10 pm
Community Director Emerita

Qatar flies out of Terminal 1, the domestic terminal. It uses a shabby lounge at the top of the stairs to the right. Passengers are taken to the plane in a bus. The elevator to the ground floor wasn't working last night. Everyone had to walk down the stairs including two very infirm elderly wheelchair ladies.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by ttapps
I would just note that ADD tends to frequently change the way they do things in the airport. I have flown through there once every few months on business for the last 2 years. Each time there are new surprises. For example, the Star Gold boarding area near Gate 10 was added sometime last year I believe. Used it once successfully, but on subsequent trips, there have been no guests or staff there, so couldn't rely on getting to your flight when waiting there. I've also had times where I've sat in the premium waiting areas, got bussed to the plane as Star Gold/Business only to find that the whole economy class had already boarded. Not a great experience when you're *G and sitting in economy.

I've also noticed the last few trips that the boarding gates on the lower level no longer have Group 1 boarding areas, meaning they never call business or *G customers to board first. It's typically chaos as everyone in all 5 groups clamors for the queue.

The post should also note that there are no restaurants or stores beyond security, so be prepared to wait at your gate without the option to buy anything to nibble on.

On the whole, I find Ethiopian Airlines to be generally reliable with a good onboard experience, but ADD airport is hectic and frustrating. Sometimes your trip can go off without a hitch, while other times you're stuck in frustrating lines with no one clear on how things are supposed to work that day.
I have travelled to Ethiopia every 3 months or so since 2003 and I have to say that I have never seen Bole hectic or been frustrated by procedures there. Either I have been very lucky or we both have a different tolerance for glitches!
B747-437B likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by EKplat
I have travelled to Ethiopia every 3 months or so since 2003 and I have to say that I have never seen Bole hectic or been frustrated by procedures there. Either I have been very lucky or we both have a different tolerance for glitches!
As someone who goes through Addis more often than I would like to, I will be the first to admit that transiting there can be extremely frustrating if you don't know what to do. Signage is poor, so if you didn't know that there was a separate entrance to the terminal for Gold Track and then separate immigration and security checkpoints, or that you should use gate 10A for priority boarding for all flights, you could wind up having a miserable experience.

That said, I find Addis one of the easiest airports to transit through, especially if traveling outside of ultra-peak hours (viz. 0700-0900 or 2100-2300). It's the only major hub where I have been able to make 20 minute connections regularly with checked baggage and without breaking a sweat.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:28 am

I sure agree about the signage! The persistent reference to gate 1 I think, at the end of the building. Never anyone at the gate. Just plain misdirection.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:32 am

And you're right about off-peak hours. I'm always taking the Emirates flight from Dubai which arrives at around 1330, and a few weeks later back to Dubai, leaving around 1600. It's always fairly empty except for the EK passengers. That's the difference with our experience there.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:17 am
Community Director Emerita

For those of us coming in on temporary e-visas, be aware that you might need to show the paper form on exiting the country. 3 of us were traveling together. All 3 had to show the paper documents.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by EKplat
And you're right about off-peak hours. I'm always taking the Emirates flight from Dubai which arrives at around 1330, and a few weeks later back to Dubai, leaving around 1600. It's always fairly empty except for the EK passengers. That's the difference with our experience there.
Even that is bound to change, as you may know ET is slowly building a 4pm departure bank (NBO,TLV,KRT,JNB,DEL,BOM,FCO, and more), so Bole will now likely be jam packed at all times of the day. The current expansion can't come any sooner and probably needs another expansion after that.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I connect via ADD both on my onward and return journeys. Do I have to get the transit visa twice or I am better off getting an Ethiopian visa?
Also, could Ethiopian Airlines give hotel vouchers (My transit is over 10 hrs) for both together?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gynob001
I connect via ADD both on my onward and return journeys. Do I have to get the transit visa twice or I am better off getting an Ethiopian visa?
Also, could Ethiopian Airlines give hotel vouchers (My transit is over 10 hrs) for both together?
Each transit is treated separately. You will receive the vouchers for the visa, hotel and other services at the check-in desk of your originating flight with Ethiopian - remember to ask for it if you are not offered the voucher otherwise you will have to stand in a line at Addis to get it reprinted which is not fun. The actual hotel that you are allocated will vary, but Business Class will almost always be offered the Hilton and they are making an effort nowadays to offer the Radisson Blu to * Gold passengers subject to availability. The rest of the hotels are local non-chain properties whose quality varies wildly but they tend to be perfectly adequate for a quick layover featuring nap, shower and meal.

You can always get your own Ethiopian visa if you want, but that would mean having to pay for the visa yourself as well as for the hotel, ground transport and meals during your layover. You are also free to use the ET voucher for the transit visa and then stay at another hotel if you prefer (I do this regularly depending which hotel I am allocated on the voucher). It is much quicker at immigration to use the ET transit voucher than to get your own visa-on-arrival or eVisa (although your eVisa can be processed at the regular immigration lines too).
Old May 24, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
I am looking at flying NBO > ADD on ET305 arriving at 19:40, then connecting onto ET600 ADD > DXB departing at 21:45. Barring any delays on the first flight, will I have enough time for a stress-free transit?

My alternative would be to arrive on ET303 at 1:35pm. If taking this option, do I have time/would it be worth ducking out to see the city for a few hours?

Appreciate any help.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by AJ747M
I am looking at flying NBO > ADD on ET305 arriving at 19:40, then connecting onto ET600 ADD > DXB departing at 21:45. Barring any delays on the first flight, will I have enough time for a stress-free transit?

My alternative would be to arrive on ET303 at 1:35pm. If taking this option, do I have time/would it be worth ducking out to see the city for a few hours?
No transit of Addis is ever "stress free", although if you are in Cloud Nine or are Star Gold, it is relatively less stressful. 2h+ is more than enough time to transit however.

If you take the earlier flight, you'll be given a transit voucher that covers hotel, meals and visa as the transit time is >8 hours. So you could easily go into town, have lunch, take a nap, explore and still be back for your next flight.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Originally Posted by B747-437B
No transit of Addis is ever "stress free", although if you are in Cloud Nine or are Star Gold, it is relatively less stressful. 2h+ is more than enough time to transit however.

If you take the earlier flight, you'll be given a transit voucher that covers hotel, meals and visa as the transit time is >8 hours. So you could easily go into town, have lunch, take a nap, explore and still be back for your next flight.
Sounds like the earlier flight is the go! Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
When ET procures a hotel for you, does your passport get stamped? I know this is an odd sounding question, but for countries that require a YF vaccine for transits over 12 hours, not having a stamp would certainly help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.