Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

So I'm going to Sao Tome...now what?

Old Feb 14, 18, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Many

Not a ton of info out there on the web, since apparently very few people visit this country. Looking for some tips from people who have been, thanks!
Old Feb 21, 18, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Durn...that's one of those places I have on the bucket list, albeit a few places down. Supposedly one of the safest countries to go in Africa. Certainly travel.state.gov will have at least something, and I'm sure Lonely Planet has it covered somewhere, even if in a regional guide rather than its own guide.
Old Feb 23, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I've heard great things about it and it's definitely on my bucket list.

Check these pages out:
http://jolandblog.com/sao-tome-e-pri.../#.Wo_zL3XFKds
São Tomé Tourist Guide ? Guia Turistico de São Tomé
https://wikitravel.org/en/São_Tomé_and_Príncipe
Old Feb 28, 18, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Thx. Overall seems to be a dearth of good info out there since it is such a lightly visited place.
Old Feb 28, 18, 12:41 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond, Mileage Plan member, HHonors Gold
Bom Bon resort on Principe used to be a popular place to stay.

It was built by Chris Hellinger and was popular with expats from Angola. It was famed for fishing but I understand got overfished.

It has since changed hands a few times and I understand has been through some ups and downs.

It looks nice though. Isn't that cheap though.

Bom Bom
united78 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 4:42 pm

I was there for 2 weeks in January. It’s absolutely stunning. The reason why few people visit is because there are not many flights going there otherwise it would be another Seychelles, Mauritius, etc. Everyone should go now as in five years time it will be a completely different story as they just got fund from World Bank to develop tourist infrastructure.

There are also not many luxury hotels, apart from Principe. I would avoid Belo Monte Hotel on Principe. Absolutely don’t care about customers at all. Stay at Sundy, Makaira or better Bom Bom if you can afford and just visit Praia Banana.

A rent a car is a must. It is very safe to drive though, even at night. All the reviews are a bit outdated as there is a new road going from the capital to Cao Grande. After that it is tricky and you need to be careful as the roads become worse and worse. But the beaches in the South are to die for. The best of all, we were sometimes the only ones on the beach. Unless it’s a holiday or Sunday, they are practically deserted.

I actually liked the Sao Tome island more, but that is probably more because we were stuck at Belo Monte due to hotel’s terrible management.

I am in the process of writing a trip report. Another thing - Don’t rely on the Bradt guide.

For more info, PM me.

united78 and Catweazle like this.

Search this Thread