Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Which is better? Safari in Chobe or Hwange.

Old Feb 6, 18, 8:04 am
dcd
Original Poster

Which is better in terms of game drive quality (more or herds of animals)? We plan to spend two nights in either one for the safari. We would spend two nights before this in VF.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.
Old Feb 6, 18, 11:34 am

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I haven't been to Hwange, but I went to Chobe 2 years ago and honestly, it was a Nice safari but actually we didnt see a lot of animals. We've been a lot of elephants and spent a lot of time on the waters... So I'd go for Hwange
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog View Post
I haven't been to Hwange . . . So I'd go for Hwange
Never having been to Hwange, how do you know it is a better option than Chobe?

Johan
Old Feb 6, 18, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcd View Post
We plan to spend two nights in either one for the safari.
When? That really does matter.

Also, where in Hwange? Public rest camp? Private lodge? In Hwange proper, or in an adjacent private concession?

Johan
Old Feb 6, 18, 4:01 pm
dcd
Original Poster

This is in late March. I havent look the lodging options in Hwange so reasonably driving distance (<= 1.5 hrs) would also be a factored. We would stay in an average or better accommodation (preferred catered) n not necessary 5 stars unless it is a good deal.

From looking at imagines of two places on Google, it appears as if Hwange is better. However its boundary on Google map is extended further south.
Old Feb 7, 18, 3:00 am

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Never having been to Hwange, how do you know it is a better option than Chobe?

Johan
As far as I heard personal experiences from other people Hwange had more to offer
Old Feb 7, 18, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is in late March.
That's the tail end of the rainy season.

Chobe is at its best (defined as "lots of animals" in this instance) at the end of the dry season (October/November) when animals frequent the river to drink in large numbers.

Hwange lacks a large perennial river, instead the animals drink at the (pumped) waterholes and pans when it is dry.

At the end of the wet season (on the assumption that it has actually been a wet one) the animals are spread out, the bush lush and green. Harder to find, harder to see. This goes for both Chobe and Hwange.

You by and large get the same range of species in both reserves.

From looking at imagines of two places on Google, it appears as if Hwange is better.
I struggle to understand how Google images and Google maps can lead you to the conclusion that Hwange is the better safari destination.

As it happens, I do agree with that conclusion, for reasons that may or may not matter to you.

In Chobe, the lodges are all concentrated along the riverfront; the river itself is at times packed with watercraft of all sizes and shapes; game drives focus on the river as well; and the road network does too. Chobe can get very busy.

In Hwange, on the other hand, the lodges and rest camps are more spread out, and it is generally quieter. The lodges on private concessions also have exclusive traversing rights.

I would pick Hwange, but I'm not a typical safari goer, in the sense that I do not necessarily want or need to see as many animals as possible in a short time. Been there, done that.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Feb 10, 18 at 4:19 pm Reason: various typos
Old Feb 7, 18, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog View Post
As far as I heard personal experiences from other people Hwange had more to offer
There's a lot to be said for word-of-mouth recommendations, but it all depends on the mouth. Apart from my own, I only rely on those whom I know well enough to trust their judgment.

Johan
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As johan rebel has mentioned late March is the end of the wet season and as such your game viewing is not going to be as plentiful as it would say in September or October. He also mentions that Chobe can get very crowded. There are a number of large lodges on the banks of the Chobe River which attract tour groups, as well as a large number of day trippers from Victoria Falls. As most of the accommodation is centred in the same area, most of the safaris all take place in the same limited circuit, adding to the very busy feeling. Having said that, Chobe is a great reserve, and if you chose carefully can be a great experience. I would personally recommend Elephant Valley Lodge, the main reason is they invert their safaris to run contra to everyone else. So while all the other lodges do an evening boat safari and a morning 4x4 drive, EVL does a morning boat safari and evening 4x4 safari drive. The result is that you have a far more intimate experience on all your safaris.

Hwange would, however, be my personal recommendation. The transfer time would be longer (to reach the southern private concessions) than to Chobe, but at the end of the day and extra hour or so per transfer is not much of a sacrifice for a better experience for the entire safari stay. With your budget description I would probably recommend something like Bomani Tented Lodge.
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
DCD
We went to both. You can read about our several safari's at both, where we stayed. The trip was May/June of last year

Our African Safari (s)

Last edited by ranles; Feb 10, 18 at 3:16 pm Reason: Forgot link

Search this Thread