Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Safari - Chobe and Addo Elephant NP Experience

Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:39 am
dcd
Original Poster

We are looking at doing safari in Chobe River NP in Botswana and possibly Addo Elephants NP in Port Elizabeth in SA. Has anyone experience both? I think they both have herds of elephants. Are they similar which we would do just one or different then we would do both? Any recommendation of a lodge and Game Drive in Addo?

Thanks in advance for your info.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcd
We are looking at doing safari in Chobe River NP in Botswana and possibly Addo Elephants NP in Port Elizabeth in SA.
When? That matters, because elephant numbers at Chobe fluctuate seasonally.

No, Chobe and Addo are not at all similar. Climate, weather, vegetation, size, and so forth all are very different. For starters, Chobe is part of a very large conservation area, has a borderline tropical climate and is located on a fairly big river. Addo is tiny by comparison, has a very variable climate and is far less pristine.

Addo is a nice place to visit if you happen to be in the area, I wouldn't go out of my way to get there. If you are looking for a more "genuinely African" safari destination, pick Chobe. It has a wilder feel.

Johan
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:13 am
Community Director Emerita

We stayed at Gorah inside Addo Elephant Park in December. We had a fantastic stay. It depends on your budget, though, as this is luxury. I used an agent who works for Travel Beyond to book. She lives in Port Elizabeth and is highly knowledgeable about the varied options.

3 days for game parks near Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:18 am
dcd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
When? That matters, because elephant numbers at Chobe fluctuate seasonally.

Addo is a nice place to visit if you happen to be in the area, I wouldn't go out of my way to get there. If you are looking for a more "genuinely African" safari destination, pick Chobe. It has a wilder feel.

Johan
We will be in Victoria Falls in late March n Cape in early April. If we visit Addo, we would fly from Cape to Port Elizabeth n stay 2 nights. Our budget is limited ~$300 pp/d. It sounds like we should skip Addo?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Late March is towards the end of the rainy season, so you should not expect high concentrations of game along the Chobe River. If you are really unlucky, elephants might even be a challenge to find. A lot depends on how good the rains have been so far this season.

Chobe is very close to Victoria Falls, and thus a convenient choice, but Zambezi National Park is even closer (it lies between the two, to get from the one to the other you drive right through it). It was on a game drive in the ZNP that I had the most elephant sightings ever. There were so many of them that I had a very hard time making it back to the gate by closing time. I was the only vehicle in the entire park, and the receptionist had already closed the office and was waiting for me with her handbag slung over her shoulders when I arrived at the very last second. This was in the 90s, I suspect the park is busier now.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.