Marrakech RAK -experiences from an extended weekend

Old Jan 25, 18, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: too many

Hi Folks,

I went to RAK for a long weekend break last month, and here's my feedback:
->Immigration is MUCH better since the new part of the terminal opened (a year ago I think?), took less than 10 minutes
->Transportation: Pre-arrange with the hotel if you don't want to haggle. All taxis are required to give fixed prices to and from the airport (MAD100 to city, MAD 150 to "la Palmeraie" area) but will always quote more inflated ones. No Uber
->found a great riad (Riad Anyssates, part of MR and Mrs Smith collection) excellent service if not slow by european standards (but same everywhere in Marrakech)
->The Medina and souks are a nice sight, but tends to be annoying to be heckled every time you pass by a shop.
->"Ensemble artisanal" right by the Koutoubia is a nice way to get souvenirs without having to haggle (state-sponsored "souk" with fixed prices lower than what's in the Medina)
->I recommend "les bains de Marrakech" for hammam and spa treatments
->On the way out, security and passport queues can be long, plan accordingly. I'd factor in to be at the airport at least 2.5h before departure

On another note, could we have a "master thread" per country or major city? could be useful :-)
Old Jan 27, 18, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Flying out of Marrakech in a couple of months. So the three hour rule for arriving prior to an international flight is probably a good one for this airport?
Old Jan 30, 18, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Depends which cabin you are flying on with which airline.
When I was there (Monday afternoon BA flight), what I saw was:
->Long queues for Transavia flights (20+ min)
->5 min queue for BA J lane
->10-15 min queue for BA Y
->No queues for AT flights (only a couple of flights at that time IIRC)
->No queue for passport control and security fast track
->35 minute queue for passport control and security normal track
->Boarding started 60 minutes before departure
Old Feb 1, 18, 12:43 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
We're flying out via BA to London in whatever class seat 3D gives me.
Old Feb 1, 18, 7:32 am
Original Poster

3D would be for Club Europe (J) most likely, in which case you would be able to use fast track and RAM lounge. Arriving 2.5h in advance seems OK
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:41 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
2.5h seems a bit too much. 1.5 hour before seems to be reasonable, assuming a 60-min check-in cut-off.
Old Feb 12, 18, 9:35 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
I would recommend at least 2.5 hours at RAK. I just flew from there to AMS via Transavia on Friday, and there were four long lines to deal with before making it to the gates. First, there was about a 30-40 minute wait just to get in the airport--they had metal detectors and baggage scanners set up by the entrances to the departures terminal. Then the Transavia line itself took another 20-30 minutes for check-in (I was unable to check-in online because I had booked through KLM), followed by another 30-40 minute security line and then a 20-30 minute line for passport control. We arrived at the airport around 15:45 for an 18:05 flight, and just made it to the gate as it was boarding.

Search this Thread