Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town Zero Day Worries?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Cape Town Zero Day Worries?

My wife and I have our first South Africa visit scheduled the tail end of March/early April and will be in Capetown 6 days.

We've heard about the dire water situation and just found out that they are expecting to "run out" of water by April 22 (Zero Day).

The hotel is telling us that showers are limited to 2 minutes and there are toilet flushing guidelines. Hotels will also be washing linens less frequently.

We are concerned about sanitation and other issues and wondering if we should try to cancel the trip.

Is it really as serious as it sounds?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

The water restrictions requires that people will use no more than 87L of water per day and business/agricultural to cut a significant portion of their water usage compared to 2015.

It is serious, yes, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about sanitation, I'm sure you don't wash your linen at home every other day e.g.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
The water restrictions requires that people will use no more than 87L of water per day and business/agricultural to cut a significant portion of their water usage compared to 2015.

It is serious, yes, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about sanitation, I'm sure you don't wash your linen at home every other day e.g.
Definitely can live with using the same towels and sheets.

Just wondering if the wine tours, Table Mountain hike and other cool things we have planned will be impacted.

The hotel said they may have to resort to giving guests a bucket of water to shower with each day. Not sure how my wife will do with a 2-minute shower or bucket.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I was in a discussion earlier today. It seems we personally use, at home in UK, about double the proposed personal limits [according to my very detailed water bill]. But ... that includes a large bubble-bath, dishwasher and washing machine.

i doubt Armageddon is yet upon us, but we can/should try to help. This was in our shower and bathroom in Stellenbosch last month ... we would fill 3/4 of that shower bucket, that they then recycled.

KEEP CALM, AND CARRY ON ... ECONOMICALLY

.... And drink WINE, not water!
Attached Images   
HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

It's serious. I'd follow the news here for accurate information about upcoming issues:
http://www.capetown.gov.za/media-and...20restrictions

There's an interesting article here:
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/cape...from-day-zero/
about potential areas that might be exempt from zero-day restrictions. But, it reads as if much of it is up in the air.

I'm no water (or electricity) distribution expert, but I find the water-shedding concept described in the article to be quite interesting.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Definitely can live with using the same towels and sheets.

Just wondering if the wine tours, Table Mountain hike and other cool things we have planned will be impacted.

The hotel said they may have to resort to giving guests a bucket of water to shower with each day. Not sure how my wife will do with a 2-minute shower or bucket.
Nobody is going to cut the water to your wife's shower after 2 minutes, nonetheless it doesn't mean she should take a 20 minutes shower
The city hall currently recommend people to save some water in a bucket because of the water shedding, and of course if it does come to that it's better you have that than nothing during those hours.

On the bright side they are working on multiple desalination plants as well as on securing some sources for ground water.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:38 am
dcd

We are also plan to be in CT at the same time. We think it would be a good learning experience but we are not thrill. However, our real concern is whether restaurants would be sanitary with adequate washing food, hands, and dirty dishes. Your thoughts and advices?

I uses Toto portable bidet travel washlet ($70) even at home. This would be very good use with little water and limited bath/shower. An idea you may consider.
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by T8191
I was in a discussion earlier today. It seems we personally use, at home in UK, about double the proposed personal limits [according to my very detailed water bill]. But ... that includes a large bubble-bath, dishwasher and washing machine.

i doubt Armageddon is yet upon us, but we can/should try to help. This was in our shower and bathroom in Stellenbosch last month ... we would fill 3/4 of that shower bucket, that they then recycled.

KEEP CALM, AND CARRY ON ... ECONOMICALLY

.... And drink WINE, not water!
The bucket is a great idea. I'm currently at the Hilton Doubletree and it takes a minimum of 5 minutes to get warm water at the shower. I'd certainly use it to flush the toilet.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Ditto
The water restrictions requires that people will use no more than 87L of water per day ...
Going down to 50l per day from February.

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
The bucket is a great idea. I'm currently at the Hilton Doubletree and it takes a minimum of 5 minutes to get warm water at the shower. I'd certainly use it to flush the toilet.
Welcome to our world! We have a plastic basin sitting in our bathroom handbasin - the grey water collected in it gets used to fill the toilet cistern. That’s just one example. Saving water is a daily obsession for any sensible Capetonian.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Going down to 50l per day from February.

Welcome to our world! We have a plastic basin sitting in our bathroom handbasin - the grey water collected in it gets used to fill the toilet cistern. That’s just one example. Saving water is a daily obsession for any sensible Capetonian.
The sad part is of course that no all Capetonians are sensible, or else we wouldn't have to be in this state.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Day Zero Moved Up 9 More Days

Looks like Day Zero has now been moved up again to April 12.

Getting a little nervous as we're scheduled March 29 - April 5.

I have trip insurance but no idea whether that would cover my non-refundable costs/cancelation fees.

Wow, this sounds really imminent...feel terrible for the residents.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:01 pm
dcd

There's an interesting article here:
https://www.thesouthafrican.com/cape...from-day-zero/
about potential areas that might be exempt from zero-day restrictions. But, it reads as if much of it is up in the air.

I communicated with couple locals there, one is in CT and the other is in Durban. They said it is a reality! People will have to evacuate out of town and shutdown during "Day Zero" period. Bases on the above article/link, CBD would be exempt. If so, will some hotels continue to open? And restaurants and services? Is this in question? I am debating should we find an accommodation that continue to open during this period or would it be so bad to visit and should cancel to another year? What would you do in this scenario? Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:36 am

The date is updated weekly based on the previous week water usage, with the new water restrictions from February, it should hopefully postpone it further, or even avoid it completely if everyone complies.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
On my recent trip home to SA where I drove from CT to Jo’burg it was heartbreaking to see what should be free flowing rivers as dry beds.

I did did not see a flowing river until I was well into Gauteng, or the OFS. Can’t quite recall now!

Its an issue that is of devastating concern to the whole Cape Area, and indeed the whole country!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by Mileage Lover
Looks like Day Zero has now been moved up again to April 12.

Getting a little nervous as we're scheduled March 29 - April 5.

I have trip insurance but no idea whether that would cover my non-refundable costs/cancelation fees.

Wow, this sounds really imminent...feel terrible for the residents.
We are in the same position. We arrive in JNB on March 25th and our plans are 2 nights in Port Elizabeth, then 2 nights driving to CPT where we have a private rental property booked in Camps Bay from March 29 to April 6th. We then fly home from JNB.

I don’t know if we should reverse our itinerary and go to Cape Town first from March 25th to April 2nd and then drive to PE and have the last 2 nights there-of course it depends if the owner would agree to the change but it looks like the property is available on the alternate dates.

Or should we just continue with our original plans-we could always leave the Cape Town property early if things get really bad and book new domestic flights to JNB and spend the remainder of our time there-I grew up there so I’m sure we could find things to do.

Just don’t know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.