Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town Zero Day Worries?

Cape Town Zero Day Worries?

Old Feb 5, 18, 8:11 am

And the new date for day zero is now May 11th, based on last week average consumption of 547ML/day, which is still 107ML/day over the daily limit set starting from 1st of Feb.
Day Zero Water Dashboard
Old Feb 5, 18, 10:51 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Just booked again for December, and not the slightest intention of cancelling or amending our plans.

There may possibly be some minor inconveniences, but the Western Cape isn't going to convert to the Kalahari Desert overnight. Do people think that the City is just going to shut down, and hotels close their doors?

Keep Calm, and Carry On. Perhaps that's because we're British?
MrsNWI & I are also there later this year - September, having booked knowing this was an issue.

As with everywhere we're fortunate enough to travel to, we'd expect to be responsible tourists and consume as little as possible - whilst the desalination plants should have kicked in by then, clearly there will still be a period of time needed for reserves to pick up again.

However, the fact remains that putting these measures into place costs money, and tourism is a major source of that for the Western Cape. There's a line between overloading the system by your presence and providing income to help cure the problem. We have a responsibility to get that balance right, but cancelling will not actually do anyone any good whatsoever.
T8191, Ditto, roadwarrier and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Day Zero now slipped to 4 June, so prospects seem to be slightly better. I assume that is based on the desalination and other projects, as the dams are still falling.

City of Cape Town - Day Zero
Old Feb 18, 18, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK E+ *G, AA Gold, A7 *S
Have been living in Cape Town for 5+ years now. While the situation is dire and we've all changed our daily habits (collecting all shower water to flush toilets, reusing dish water and greatly reducing consumption), normal life has more or less carried on. Yes the prospect of Day Zero is frightening, but a great deal of that fright is just what is necessary to get people to reduce usage.

I wouldn't cancel any plans to come here, as all businesses including likely every hotel, are making contingency plans. My flatmate works at an upscale boutique hotel in the CBD. They've recently completed drilling their borehole and expect no interruptions. They're even allowing neighbors to tap into it as well.

All in all, don't let the headlines scare you away. Cape Town depends on tourists to keep its economy going and is doing everything to make sure any interruptions from normal life are minimal.
Old Feb 20, 18, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Day Zero now slipped to 4 June, so prospects seem to be slightly better. I assume that is based on the desalination and other projects, as the dams are still falling.

City of Cape Town - Day Zero
And now 9 July ^
Old Feb 20, 18, 5:16 am

And now 9 July ^
Do you have some sort of monitoring service on the page? I checked it this morning and they have not updated it yet from last week
Old Feb 20, 18, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Do you have some sort of monitoring service on the page? I checked it this morning and they have not updated it yet from last week
hahaha ... pure coincidence! I have that tab on one of my Safari windows [the holidays grouping] and just happened to refresh later than you did!
Old Feb 27, 18, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
An update from the UK Daily Telegraph 26.02.2018.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...e_Ap5svsLP2s8Z

I had just about given up the thought of visiting CT this year, planning on staying around Johannesburg. However, included in that article is:

Should tourists steer clear of Cape Town to let the city recover?

Quite the opposite. International tourists account for just one per cent of water usage in Cape Town; in fact, during the peak tourism month of December (when locals leave for their holidays) the city’s water consumption dropped significantly.

More importantly, tourism directly creates 320,000 jobs and brings around R40 billion (£2.4bn) in investment each year. The city needs visitor support now more than ever.

... and ...

Are some hotels more responsible than others?

Most Cape Town hotels have taken extensive measures to reduce their water consumption - such as removing bath plugs and encouraging guests to take quick showers instead - but if you are worried about Day Zero, it’s worth noting that the V&A Waterfront’s new desalination plant, near which there are several hotels, will be the first on-stream.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the city centre is designated a "continuous water supply" area, that is, taps will not be switched off here even in the increasingly unlikely event that we reach Day Zero.

The city’s tourist board, however, recommends that all guests stay in accommodation with water-saving and contingency plans in place. It has published a list to help visitors identify such hotels.

So we are urgently reconsidering our plans!
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
And now 9 July ^
And now 15 July.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
An update from the UK Daily Telegraph 26.02.2018.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...e_Ap5svsLP2s8Z

I had just about given up the thought of visiting CT this year, planning on staying around Johannesburg. However, included in that article is:

Should tourists steer clear of Cape Town to let the city recover?

Quite the opposite. International tourists account for just one per cent of water usage in Cape Town; in fact, during the peak tourism month of December (when locals leave for their holidays) the city’s water consumption dropped significantly.

More importantly, tourism directly creates 320,000 jobs and brings around R40 billion (£2.4bn) in investment each year. The city needs visitor support now more than ever.

... and ...

Are some hotels more responsible than others?

Most Cape Town hotels have taken extensive measures to reduce their water consumption - such as removing bath plugs and encouraging guests to take quick showers instead - but if you are worried about Day Zero, it’s worth noting that the V&A Waterfront’s new desalination plant, near which there are several hotels, will be the first on-stream.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the city centre is designated a "continuous water supply" area, that is, taps will not be switched off here even in the increasingly unlikely event that we reach Day Zero.

The city’s tourist board, however, recommends that all guests stay in accommodation with water-saving and contingency plans in place. It has published a list to help visitors identify such hotels.

So we are urgently reconsidering our plans!
I like the advice about tourists not avoiding Cape Town. I am less convinced about touting a few, pretty expensive hotels with deep pockets. The average B&B is probably doing as much to conserve water - at considerably greater inconvenience. They deserve to be supported as much as the big chain hotels.
Roger likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA View Post
And now 15 July.
I like the part on the right the most "Under review due to new water use targets.", not to mention those targets were set to start from 1st of Feb...
Old Mar 6, 18, 12:38 pm

Don’t drink the tap water

Seriously, major gastro bug doing the rounds and local pharmacies are blaming on the mains water, the city however says it’s fine 🙃
Old Mar 6, 18, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JErCI View Post
Seriously, major gastro bug doing the rounds and local pharmacies are blaming on the mains water, the city however says it’s fine 🙃
Hmm, I drank the tap water last week with no issues whatsoever.
Old Mar 7, 18, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by etch5895 View Post
Hmm, I drank the tap water last week with no issues whatsoever.
we’ve been in SA for 7 weeks now traveling all over but all 4 of us went down for a couple of days ( different) while in CT & and both CT B&B’s we stayed in are boiling the tap water. I’d stick to bottles just to remove the possibility?
Old Mar 7, 18, 10:15 am

Programs: AA,BA,UA,US,SPG
Pushed out to 2019

Last edited by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS; Mar 7, 18 at 12:33 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: