Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Certificate

Yellow Fever Certificate

Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Yellow Fever Certificate

Do I need a yellow fever certificate for Kenya/South Africa/Zambia/Zimbabwe/Botswanna day tour/Tanzania ? Coming from Canada
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:36 am

Yes..
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Can anyone clarify if a traveler from the US needs a yellow fever certificate for Uganda? We have been told by our tour operator that it is currently required for all entrants, and the state department lists "yellow fever vaccine" for Uganda without elaboration, but the CDC website says it is only required if coming from a yellow fever area: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...vel-single-001
I have seen reference to an April 2016 change in policy by Uganda to require the yellow fever certificate of all entrants, but I have not found anything official, and have no idea whether the policy might have changed yet again. Is the CDC just wrong on this? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I guess im off to get my yellow fever vaccine. Going to get it done in Portugal as it seems it is way cheaper then Canada and I will be there prior to my departure.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Maykita
Can anyone clarify if a traveler from the US needs a yellow fever certificate for Uganda?
Your yellow fever vaccination paperwork will be checked before you are even allowed to reach the immigration counters at Entebbe. If you don't have valid paperwork, you will be either required to pay a fine and take a shot on the spot there, or else be held in detention/quarantine and deported.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Your yellow fever vaccination paperwork will be checked before you are even allowed to reach the immigration counters at Entebbe. If you don't have valid paperwork, you will be either required to pay a fine and take a shot on the spot there, or else be held in detention/quarantine and deported.
Thank you! It is bizarre that the CDC has flat-out wrong information on this. Anyway, I knew I could get the straight story on Flyertalk -- thanks again.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:21 pm

Thank you! It is bizarre that the CDC has flat-out wrong information on this.
The CDC is not an official source of information on Uganda Government policies.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:38 am

The CDC is not an official source of information on Uganda Government policies.
Understood. But I searched in vain for any offical Ugandan policy statement on this. Their official website's page on entry requirements does not even address the topic Requirements for Entry into Uganda | Uganda National Web Portal so it wasn't obvious (to me anyway) where to find the official information. Would be glad for suggestions on best places to look for future reference. I know now the CDC isn't reliable even though it purports to have vaccination requirements for travelers; not sure if the U.S. State Dept website's travel info is considered more authoritative. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:59 am

Would be glad for suggestions on best places to look for future reference.
https://www.visas.immigration.go.ug/#/help/visa

Required documents

Uganda Ordinary/Tourist Visa - Single Entry
  • Passport copy (bio-data page)
  • Recent Passport-size Photograph
  • Vaccination Certificate (Yellow Fever)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Thank you!!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Pilotbg
I guess im off to get my yellow fever vaccine. Going to get it done in Portugal as it seems it is way cheaper then Canada and I will be there prior to my departure.
You should be able to get it in Portugal, though I'm not sure how it would work for a non-PT traveler. Here's a list of places where you may be able to do it.

It takes 10 days for the certificate to become valid after your vaccine.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I am from the US and never needed to present a yellow fever card to enter South Africa,Zimbabwe,Kenya,Botswana or Zambia and have traveled there 3 times.(2014,2016 and 2017)
I did however have to present it when departing Nairobi to fly to my final destination in Beirut.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

just got my yellow fever today. I puked which was odd.. but dont see it as a side effect. Also took 4 other shots.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:27 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Those needing a yellow fever vaccine should be aware of the shortage, global, but more acute in the US. The actual YF vax is not available in the US and the substitute Stamaril was only provided to 250 locations nationwide. It took some effort and planning to find/get it.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 4, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
I am from the US and never needed to present a yellow fever card to enter South Africa,Zimbabwe,Kenya,Botswana or Zambia and have traveled there 3 times.(2014,2016 and 2017)
I did however have to present it when departing Nairobi to fly to my final destination in Beirut.
It's important to first determine the country of which you are departing from (not where you live) and then sort out the requirements for the country of entry. I'm from the U.S. but was traveling Brazil to South Africa which requires a yellow fever certificate and was checked by TAM before issuing a boarding pass. No check upon entry into South Africa. I was 6 months past the validity of yellow fever vaccination (10 years) but South Africa considers it good for lifetime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.