Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hiring a driver/taxi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Hiring a driver/taxi

Does anyone have recommendations for driving around West Africa (Togo, Ghana, Benin)? I will be flying to Lome, then my plan is to head to Accra, up north through Ghana, back into Togo, and then either south through Togo or into Benin and eventually end up back in Lome.

Is it easy to just hire a taxi when I get there to take me all around? Will I need a new driver when I cross the boarder(s)?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I travelled in Togo and Ghana for a couple of weeks some four years ago with my daughter (she was doing VSO in Kpalimé in Togo).

Our route was Lomé, Accra, Gold Coast, Ho, Hohoe and Kpalimé.

My impression was that you need to change drivers and vehcles whenever crossing borders.

"Taxi" is quite a broad term in those parts. Most of the time we were seven people in something like a VW Golf - we chose to share the front seat beside the driver rather than sit four-abreast in the back. Very cheap form of transport though.

From Lomé airport to the Ghana border take a cheap ride on the back of a moped!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
I travelled in Togo and Ghana for a couple of weeks some four years ago with my daughter (she was doing VSO in Kpalimé in Togo).

Our route was Lomé, Accra, Gold Coast, Ho, Hohoe and Kpalimé.

My impression was that you need to change drivers and vehcles whenever crossing borders.

"Taxi" is quite a broad term in those parts. Most of the time we were seven people in something like a VW Golf - we chose to share the front seat beside the driver rather than sit four-abreast in the back. Very cheap form of transport though.

From Lomé airport to the Ghana border take a cheap ride on the back of a moped!
Thanks for that! So it was easy to get cars/drivers to take you whenever you needed to go/you didn't need to schedule it in advance?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by pstm91
Thanks for that! So it was easy to get cars/drivers to take you whenever you needed to go/you didn't need to schedule it in advance?
On the trunk coastal route (Accra-Lome-Cotonou-Lagos), transport is frequent. Heck, you can even book it online with a cc at ABC TRANSPORT PLC - Book Online Bus Tickets to your destinations

However, bush taxis in Northern Ghana.Togo/Benin run on a "when full" basis - sometimes it might only take a few hours, sometimes it might take a few days - all depends on the route/week.

Personally, I hated Lome. I had a robbery attempt and got into fistfight (I won) in my 90 minutes there and quickly caught the next bush taxi to Kpalime.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by pstm91
I don't see the need in pre booking anything unless you expect western comforts.

Did ghana/togo/benin and back to ghana by just looking around at each border. Some were fantastic cars (for africa) at a good price, others were scam jobs, but in the end we survived and didn't really over pay too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.