Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Coastal Aviation plane crash in Tanzania

Old Nov 18, 17, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold

A charter plane carrying people on safari crashed in Serengeti Nov. 16. All 12 people aboard were killed. Bad weather is suspected as the cause. I will be taking a flight on Coastal Aviation from the Mara Serengeti to JRO at the end of my Tanzania safari in Sept. I have some concern.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201711170030.html
Old Nov 20, 17, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
A charter plane carrying people on safari crashed in Serengeti Nov. 16. All 12 people aboard were killed. Bad weather is suspected as the cause. I will be taking a flight on Coastal Aviation from the Mara Serengeti to JRO at the end of my Tanzania safari in Sept. I have some concern.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201711170030.html
Susie - I've flown Coastal, and I have quite a few friends in Tanzania who have NOTHING bad at all to say about Coastal Aviation. There's no denying this is a tragic accident, but I think if you were to eliminate every commercial airline that ever had an accident, you'd be isolating yourself to a lot of very long car and boat rides.
Old Nov 20, 17, 12:05 pm

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
It must be very unsettling to read of a plane crash when that particular carrier is one you yourself are scheduled to fly in the near future.

I donít have words that might ease your mind other than:
I flew Coastal most recently in June of this year.
My fellow passengers were my husband, son, nieces, some dear friends, plus their daughters and their grandson.

We used Coastal exclusively for our intra-Tanzania flights during our 2 week safari.
The pilot on each of the 5 flights acted professionally and as far as we could tell the 5 planes appeared well-maintained.

I can honestly say that our flights on Coastal gave us no cause for concern.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Nov 22, 17, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would like to echo the comments above. We have used Coastal for many years, without incident. It is a well run company. However, even the best of companies has their dark hours, and this is it for Coastal. I personally would not hesitate to fly in one of their aircraft.
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We flew all of our flights to Serengeti, on to ngorongoro crater, and then back to JRO last year on coastal. No issues and well run. Comparable to fed air in SA.
Old Dec 7, 17, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711 View Post
you'd be isolating yourself to a lot of very long car and boat rides.
Which statistically would be a lot more dangerous than flying, especially in Africa.

Johan
Old Dec 9, 17, 4:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue
The flight actually did not crash in the Serengeti but in the Empekai Region of the NCAA (Ngorongoro Crater Area Authority) which is before the Serengeti.

About Coastal Aviation. It is the most reliable and in my opinion, safest of all the the so-called bush airlines. We almost exclusively fly with Coastal Aviation for our media productions in Tanzania.

The alternative would be driving which statistically is more dangerous.

It was a tragic event and my all rest in peace.

I actually knew 2 people on the flight.
Old Dec 13, 17, 1:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
The concern with Coastal is that this was their second accident in a brief period. At the end of October a pilot overshot a runway in the Serengeti. No fatalities; pilot and two passengers hospitalized for a couple of days. It's being investigated.
Old Dec 21, 17, 7:22 pm

Are there rules about flying hours, etc. on airlines like Coastal? We took 5 flights as, as many above have said, I would feel comfortable taking them again. The only thing
that I did hear was a pilot commenting on how very many flights he had done that day, as it was a busy time of year. Maybe 12 or 14 - they are VERY short, but it still entails
a lot of time and decisions. When I read about the crashes, my mind went immediately to that conversation. Still, Coastal operates a lot of flights and my observation may be totally
irrelevant to the situations at hand.
Old Dec 22, 17, 8:26 pm

Susiesan, Everything will be okay. I worked in remote Tanzania for 3 years at a gold mine with my family being with me as well. There is no way I would put myself or them in harms way. Coastal Aviation were contracted for all the company's aviation requirements including leave breaks and charters such as going to Arusha, Mwanza or Robondo Island for fishing. Even though it was a contracted charter flight arrangement where everything was routine and mundane, the Coastal personnel were always professional and full safety briefings before start-up and thorough pre-check examinations of the aircraft always took place. I have no doubt that this is a tragic accident.
Old Jan 19, 18, 4:05 am

Just to add to this. We were booked on Coastal for some flights in September 2018. Singita had booked us on them, but have now advised we swap to Auric, grumeti and precision instead.

we have taken their advice, as we have no way of knowing which are the best options....

Edit Having thought about it overnight, decided to swap some to Auric and leave one with Coastal. Two accidents so close together is worrying, on the other hand Coastal seems good and want to reclaim their reputation so should be safe.....As far as Singita goes it is my call.

Last edited by flying mermaid; Jan 19, 18 at 5:26 pm

Search this Thread