Advice sought for Cape Town hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice sought for Cape Town hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
In my mind, no doubt about it: Cape Town has become more dangerous in the past 5 years. By orders of magnitude. The wine lands are not immune but they are not (yet?) nearly as badly affected.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
The Westin is very popular with members of the Marriott Bonvoy (ex SPG) scheme. You should find copious reviews on that forum and in the Trip Reports forum.

From friends who have stayed there recently (and many times in the past): it has had a nice refurb fairly recently and the lounge is still very good. (The lounge has a superb view!)
Thank you!
Cheetah_SA likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

During the day is it not safe to walk around, worse that Buenos Aries?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LillianJ
We haven’t stayed in CT for a couple of years. Last time a couple of Public Safety officers advised my wife to hide her gold necklace, but that was it. A case if common-sense failure, really ... don’t wear things that invite ceiminal attention.

Apart from that incident, never felt worried in CT in daytime. Just keep your eyes open, avoid alleyways and dodgy-looking individuals!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:27 pm

Thanks appreciate the info.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by LillianJ
CT is perfectly safe during the day. Very few issues with homeless/poor people asking you for food, money etc, but that is more or less confined to Long Str. /the city center
T8191 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
The Company Garden attracts a fair few homeless/poor. That said, we were sat on a bench and ended up with an interesting conversation with a woman selling home-made items. They're not all bad people.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I have been to Cape Town quite a few times. I tend to go there once or twice a year on business, I have stayed at the Taj and the Westin. Nice hotels, but I prefer to stay in the V&A waterfront area because I have no qualms about walking around there by myself anytime of day or night, Lots of security, restaurants and shops. I just look where I can get the best deal. So far I have stayed at the V&A, the Radisson Red, the Cape Grace, the Commodore and the Table Bay Hotel (3 times). I would stay at any of those hotels again and would add in the Portswood, One and Only or Queen Victoria if the price was right.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
I'm from Cape Town and I always recommend the one and only or mount nelson if the budget allows for it and the Hilton which is a bit cheaper if you are looking for a hotel but renting an apartment is always a better, cheaper and sometimes a more luxurious choice.

Regarding safety as several members mentioned prior to this reply, Ubers are cheap and safe so take them at anytime of day but I would recommend renting a car. Don't go round flaunting wealth but you can walk around almost any where with phone in hand and expensive watches and jewelleries no problem just don't do it in more sketchy areas which you shouldn't be intending to visit as a tourists in any case.
cargueiro likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Platinum, Delta Reserve
I've posted this question on a couple other threads, but have not received a response, so trying again here :-) . Would love some thoughts on the best Cape Town hotel to use Bonvoy points? I've looked at 15 on Orange & Protea North Wharf. We are traveling in mid-march, will be in Cape Town for 4 (split) nights and are planning an overnight in Franschhoek, so any recommendations there would be appreciated as well!
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my wife and I are booked on points at the AC Cape Town Waterfront for the four nights of a conference in July (half the points of the Westin)
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mydogsmooch
I've posted this question on a couple other threads, but have not received a response, so trying again here :-) . Would love some thoughts on the best Cape Town hotel to use Bonvoy points? I've looked at 15 on Orange & Protea North Wharf. We are traveling in mid-march, will be in Cape Town for 4 (split) nights and are planning an overnight in Franschhoek, so any recommendations there would be appreciated as well!
I stayed at Protea Fire and Ice in 2016 (TRIP REPORT HERE) and it was nicer than I expected. It was close (including walk-able) to a lot of good things to see.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:01 pm

thanks! Can you share why you chose that one? Was it the points?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:07 pm

Thank you! I'm looking for something "nice" in a safe area. There doesn't seem to be a lot of recent info about Cape Town Bonvoy hotels here, and some of the reviews on TripAdvisor are concerning.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
my wife and I are booked on points at the AC Cape Town Waterfront for the four nights of a conference in July (half the points of the Westin)
We did the exact same thing - were looking at the Westin but saw the AC was half the points and had decent reviews. We are going in Sep so would love to hear how the hotel stay was following your stay.

Thanks for the other suggestions at the V&A - might give that a look too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.