Reload this Page >

Advice sought for Cape Town hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice sought for Cape Town hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
AirBNB has some very nice options in Cape Town, Most of the properties are modern apartments in the city, to normal on up to luxury houses. The only downside is that you depend more on getting groceries compared to a hotel or serviced apartment situation. Not the biggest deal but it is another step to the process.

Originally Posted by Atri
I think these days we can go for AirBnB, to enjoy their actual living experience?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:03 pm

I felt safe walking back to the Cape Grace after dinner around the waterfront. We weren’t ever out very late, so it was quite busy when we were walking around. For a first visit, I thought the waterfront area was ideal- lots of places to eat and shop within quick walking distance. For a return visit, I would love to try Camp’s Bay.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
My wife and I are just now returning from a short (7 day) trip to South Africa, most of which was spent in Cape Town. Previously we'd stayed at the Victoria & Alfred, which was very nice, in the middle of the VA waterfront, but you really don't need to do that because you might spend just a day exploring the waterfront area. This time we stayed at Oxford House, just off Main Street (which is also called something else I don't recall), about a 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront. Cost was very reasonable ($75/night), less than half of the V&A. Room was very nice, service excellent, great staff, and for 150 Rand they took care of our laundry for us (we just put it into a large bag and it came back later that day nicely folded).

Note that Uber is almost saturating Cape Town; we never had to wait more than 5 minutes, and it's very reasonable. During the daytime walking around Cape Town is not an issue, but at night, once you leave the waterfront area, yes, it can be a bit dodgy. I would definitely recommend using Uber for even fairly short distances at night. Cost is just 22 rand for short trips, which is what, $2 US?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I stayed in the Radisson Blu Le Vendome in Sea Point when I visited back in September. Now this is normally quite an expensive hotel, but I was able to get it for $50 a night through one of the less well known booking sites (and a quick check suggests this is still the case). The hotel was lovely and the breakfast was absolutely tremendous. Sea Point is a nice area which felt safe only 10 minutes by Uber from the CBD, or by bus during the day. The red open top bus also passes within 5 minutes of the hotel. I'd certainly stay here again with the price / location trade off.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
This time we stayed at Oxford House, just off Main Street (which is also called something else I don't recall), about a 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront.
That will be Main Road - which is a continuation of Somerset Road.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
That will be Main Road - which is a continuation of Somerset Road.
Thank you! I will admit to finding it somewhat confusing navigating Cape Town's road by car; I'm sure none of the confusion was exacerbated by driving on the other side of the road for the first time in my life. And you might add that Somerset Road is an extension of Riebeek Street. :-)

By the way, Oxford House was just a couple blocks away from a Bootlegger Coffee House, great place for breakfast. Another point for Oxford House is plenty of parking on adjacent Hillside Terrace.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Thank you! I will admit to finding it somewhat confusing navigating Cape Town's road by car; I'm sure none of the confusion was exacerbated by driving on the other side of the road for the first time in my life. And you might add that Somerset Road is an extension of Riebeek Street. :-)

By the way, Oxford House was just a couple blocks away from a Bootlegger Coffee House, great place for breakfast. Another point for Oxford House is plenty of parking on adjacent Hillside Terrace.
Agree about Bootlegger - I frequent their outlet in the Cape Quarter (which is a 10 minute walk in the other direction from Oxford house) and often buy my coffee beans there.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
We stayed at Mount Nelson Hotel. It was fantastic - superb service and great breakfast. They will pack a full breakfast for you to take on a plane/train if you are checking out early in the morning.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Have used Southern Sun The Cullinan on our 2 holidays in CT and the Western Cape. Easy walk up Long Street, St Georges Market and to the Company Garden ... but never went out at night! Handy free hourly shuttle to the V&A Waterfront. Good in-house dining. More detail in my CPT TRs in my signature.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: aeroplan
It has been 5 years since I was in Cape Town but we stayed at the Mount Nelson. It is a venerable old hotel with lovely gardens and they have (or had) a gratis car service that would take us to local tourist areas and pick us up if needed. Can't say we were out late as had a 22 month old with us but certainly 5 years ago the hotel was adamant we use their service or taxis to get around especially after dark.
One thing we did while there (although we had moved just outside of town to stay at a winery hotel that took children) which was an absolute fav was a picnic at Boschendal - Eat and Drink - Winelands Food & Wine | Boschendal . It was a fantastic way to cap of a Cap Classique wine tour. Have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:29 pm

We are thinking of a Cape Town trip for a ‘second child’ baby moon (will have our 3 year old in tow) — any recommendations for Camps Bay hotels with easy access to the beach that is OK for families? Seems like most of these are boutique hote options that aren’t great for kids. Thinking about combining with Mount Nelson (my wife loves grand dame hotels) and something in wine country (notwithstanding hat wife won’t drink, some of the places look incredibly beautiful and relaxing).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Anyone stay at the Westin?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:08 am

The Westin is very popular with members of the Marriott Bonvoy (ex SPG) scheme. You should find copious reviews on that forum and in the Trip Reports forum.

From friends who have stayed there recently (and many times in the past): it has had a nice refurb fairly recently and the lounge is still very good. (The lounge has a superb view!)
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Disturbing to hear of the armed raid at the Mount Nelson Hotel a few days ago. Apparently suspects have been apprehended.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/New...-town-20190717
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by simons1
Disturbing to hear of the armed raid at the Mount Nelson Hotel a few days ago. Apparently suspects have been apprehended.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/New...-town-20190717
Not nice. I had received more details from another source.

Sadly, that is the 'big city' threat these days, wherever you go on the planet, as the poor take the only route they can see to making progress in life.

As noted upthread, we avoid C.T. these days and just head out to the [relatively safe] Winelands. Been there. done that, mentality!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.