Search

JNB Bidair Flythru newb Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
JNB Bidair Flythru newb Question

Hi

First post in this part of the site, and first trip to SA (from UK) coming up.

It'll also be first long haul with the by then 15m old nipper (good flyer on short haul so we're hopeful all will be smooth haha).

We transit thru JNB to CPT inbound and on return leg. In both cases we have a reasonable amount of transit time (think 2-3 hours in each case).

I am probably going to use Flythru on the way in to get all three of us smoothly through immigration, between terminals etc

But I am unclear as to whether it's particularly necessary on the return. Will we stay airside the whole time in JNB? I guess that depends on which terminal we fly into from CPT. I was assuming that leaving is more straightforward than departing, but happy to be told I am wrong...

Help appreciated

Cheers
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flythru might be valuable on the inbound but I can't see how it would help on the outbound. I've never used it so perhaps others can comment.

You don't stay airside for DOM-INT connections as you need to go through passport control and hence the security checkpoint. There are 2 sets of these checkpoints, the one which is normally less busy is on your right as you walk towards the International check in area from domestic arrivals (shown in the red square), the other is behind the airline check in desks.

The first one you get to is normally less busy (it has glass walls so you can determine this before queuing up) but with the nipper in tow you can sometimes use the crew/disabled pathway through both security and passport control which is on the far right of the area behind the check in desks (shown in the green rectangle centre of image).

You don't say who you are flying with but if it is a genuine connection you can check yours bags through on the return leg.

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Aug 18, 2017 at 4:26 am Reason: Added image
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think Steve_ZA has summed it up perfectly. On the return there really is no need to spend money on Bidair. You will arrive at domestic arrivals. If you arrive with a jet-bridge then just before you reach the escalators heading down to baggage claim you will see a glass door to the right - head through there and walk straight on - about 5-10 minutes walk, past a whole lot of restaurants and shops and you will see the glass walls mentioned above. If you arrive by bus, you will need to exit the baggage claim area turn right and head towards departures - either taking the escalators or lifts to get up to the required level. It really is a very easy airport to manage. Don't get concerned about terms such as Terminal A and Terminal B or domestic and international terminals. Basically it is one large terminal with domestic at one end and international at the other.

Hope you enjoy it - South Africa is a wonderful country.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
My wife and I booked this service for our arrival in JNB and also for a transfer on a domestic arrival from CPT to out international flight out of JNB.

I am really glad we booked the arrival service. We arrived around 7:00 AM and immigration was very busy and I estimate it saved us at least 30 minutes and likely as much as an hour.

The transit service through JNB on our way out of South Africa saved us 5 minutes at most. While we went though emigration and security with no wait whatsoever, there were lines of only 3 or 4 people for each in the regular lines. This was around 1:30 PM or 2:00 PM so it could be a quiet time.

I have no idea as to what the slow vs busy times for this are at JNB so it could be worthwhile for someone but for us it was a waste of money.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Thanks all of you for the great answers. Info greatly appreciated. I fully intend to enjoy SA. We're both outdoorsy types and love good wine. So CPT and surrounding area will hopefully be a good choice in Nov.

In terms of checking the bags through, I have a feeling it won't be straightfoward.

The long haul is BA both ways. The short haul JNB >> CPT is a BA booking operated by Comair, and the return CPT to JNB is a Comair booking operated by someone called Kulula. So I am actually not wanting to assume that we can check through on either of these. Especially not the return as it doesn't even show up on my BA account for the internal flight (the JNB >> CPT Comair one does). Additionally they weren't booked at the same time, nor even by the same method (long haul was a BA Credit card 2-4-1 redemption while the short haul internal was a cash booking on expedia. So I am assuming that I just need to grab the bags. hence thinking about paying for assistance.

On the way back I think we have a 21:50 departure to LHR. But it's a Sunday night so could conceivably be quiet pax wise but low staffing I guess.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
So, you shouldn't have a problem with bags.

On arrival you will need to collect your bags and clear customs regardless of who you are flying with, it is the law.

On the return, Kulula does interline with BA Mainline. Basically Comair operates as British Airways in South Africa. Kulula is the LLC arm of Comair, but they will almost certainly be able to check your bags through to LHR.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by wijibintheair
So, you shouldn't have a problem with bags.

On arrival you will need to collect your bags and clear customs regardless of who you are flying with, it is the law.

On the return, Kulula does interline with BA Mainline. Basically Comair operates as British Airways in South Africa. Kulula is the LLC arm of Comair, but they will almost certainly be able to check your bags through to LHR.
+1

We did a similar itinerary about 3 weeks ago. I assume that if the CPT-JNB leg has a BA flight number and is on the same BA ticket as your JNB-LHR flight, you will be able to check your bags all the way through.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by cheltzel
+1

We did a similar itinerary about 3 weeks ago. I assume that if the CPT-JNB leg has a BA flight number and is on the same BA ticket as your JNB-LHR flight, you will be able to check your bags all the way through.
The OP said the domestic flights are not on the same ticket. So there is no reason why they should carry a BA flight number. And hasn't BA expressly changed its policy so that it refuses to check baggage through on separate tickets - even when both flights are BA? Or am I imagining that? Either way, no harm in asking. But I wouldn't take it as a given.

Also the busiest time for international departures is in the evening when the bank of flights leave for Europe. Waiting times at passport control can be highly variable during that period.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
The OP said the domestic flights are not on the same ticket. So there is no reason why they should carry a BA flight number. And hasn't BA expressly changed its policy so that it refuses to check baggage through on separate tickets - even when both flights are BA? Or am I imagining that? Either way, no harm in asking. But I wouldn't take it as a given.
BA is irrelevant here, it is MN (Kulula), and they are usually quite accommodating when it comes to checking bags through, although indeed OP shouldn't take it as a given.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
How much is the service ? Can't see why anyone would need to use this service as CPT/JNB are more then easy to transit and make your way around. People do get wound up up on the idea of going to deepest darkest Africa and assume the airport is gunna be some nightmarish dump ! Relax nothing to fear , nearly all airports in South Africa will blow your sucks off with how 1st world they are.

Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depending on the cost of this service,personally I'd spend the money on lounge access if you don't have so otherwise via status, credit card, memberships or class of service. Having a calm area with the little one and a place for a refreshing shower is nice. Both airports have some good options. I really liked the Bidvest domestic lounge at CPT for plane spotting.

Cape Town is a great city. Went for the first time last year and can't wait to go back.

Feel at home in Cape Town gave us great personalized tours of Stellenbosch and down to the Cape for Penguin viewing with a lot of history and local insight.

Your GBP will go a long way there so enjoy.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
How much is the service ? Can't see why anyone would need to use this service as CPT/JNB are more then easy to transit and make your way around. People do get wound up up on the idea of going to deepest darkest Africa and assume the airport is gunna be some nightmarish dump ! Relax nothing to fear , nearly all airports in South Africa will blow your sucks off with how 1st world they are.

It's about the time savings of clearing immigration on the inbound and making the connection onward to CPT. With a delay and an already tight connection, and small ones myself to have to wrangle through long immigration lines, FlyThru is worth it to save time in immigration.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
It's about the time savings of clearing immigration on the inbound and making the connection onward to CPT. With a delay and an already tight connection, and small ones myself to have to wrangle through long immigration lines, FlyThru is worth it to save time in immigration.
I guess , different strokes for different folks . I have done GRU-JNB-CPT within 50mins , bit rushed yes , but made it ! However with 2-3 hours , i truly believe there is no need for it thou.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.