Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

How far in advance one should make reservations for Kruger and flights?

Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Seems our next trip to South Africa (Kruger, Garden Route or alternatives) and Victoria Falls has slipped from May/June next year to November next year.

So I have two questions:

- How far in advance one should start look for/making accommodation reservations at Kruger?
- Except Garden Route which I have not seen yet and Panorama Route (which I've seen) what are other recommended nice and safe road trips in South Africa?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The public rest camps in Kruger, concessions in Kruger, on lodges in the contiguous private nature reserves?

Given SA's road traffic fatality and DUI rates, the question is what you consider safe?

Johan
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The public rest camps in Kruger, concessions in Kruger, on lodges in the contiguous private nature reserves?
Considering that budget is no more $100/night for two with all taxes and fees, I'd assume that public rest camps are the only options.

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Given SA's road traffic fatality and DUI rates, the question is what you consider safe?
Term 'safe' was used not to the traffic situation and road trip itself - after driving in Indonesia and Malaysia I do not think South Africa is any more dangerous, however, if one wants to train him/herself on pothole avoidance course, R535/R533/R536 are definitely recommended places to go - but rather to crime situation at stop areas.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Seems our next trip to South Africa (Kruger, Garden Route or alternatives) and Victoria Falls has slipped from May/June next year to November next year.

So I have two questions:

- How far in advance one should start look for/making accommodation reservations at Kruger?
- Except Garden Route which I have not seen yet and Panorama Route (which I've seen) what are other recommended nice and safe road trips in South Africa?
For the public rest camps in Kruger (very nice, if a bit basic), I'd book as soon as your other details are confirmed. They often fill up very quickly, especially as you get closer to the school holidays (end of November).

Leaving from Cape Town, you can do either the Garden Route via the N2, or head in the direction of Namibia on the N7. Lots to see.do on the way if you don't want to go the whole way there.

Leaving from Joburg, the drive to Swaziland is very beautiful, you can also split off and head to Kruger or Mozambique depending on how you are feeling.

Safety wise, as long as you are only stopping in designated areas (petrol stations, small towns etc.), you should have no major concerns RE crime.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm booking a trip now for next May. I tend to think that you should book as soon as know what your plans are. Otherwise, you know the plans, but the airlines and hotels don't!

RichardAtCT, you mentioned a few places nice to drive to in your post. Can you take a rental car from JNB out of the country?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
Leaving from Cape Town, you can do either the Garden Route via the N2, or head in the direction of Namibia on the N7. Lots to see.do on the way if you don't want to go the whole way there.
I never investigated that direction. Could you tell what are highlights there?

I was planning to allocate about 18 days for whole trip: 2 days for VF, and the rest splitted across Cape Town, Garden Route and Kruger. How many days the drive towards Namibia will take? I don't want to backtrack.

Leaving from Joburg, the drive to Swaziland is very beautiful, you can also split off and head to Kruger or Mozambique depending on how you are feeling.

Safety wise, as long as you are only stopping in designated areas (petrol stations, small towns etc.), you should have no major concerns RE crime.
Any countries except SA are not an option unfortunately - couple of people in our group do not have visa free entry anywhere in that region and getting visas from South Africa are enough hassle already.

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
RichardAtCT, you mentioned a few places nice to drive to in your post. Can you take a rental car from JNB out of the country?
Drive to Namibia and back on a rental car is a common thing, I was told, however due to insurance requirements rental price doubles.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:03 pm

Here's a few photos of the bungalows available in the various camps within Kruger. This one was for 1/2 people, and had shower/WC as well as kitchen either inside or on the patio. Importantly, they are air conditioned and have a fridge!

Other options, apart from camping/tents are huts which are similar to the above, but without the bathroom or kitchen. I think they may have a sink.
Attached Images     
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:53 am

I never investigated that direction. Could you tell what are highlights there?

I was planning to allocate about 18 days for whole trip: 2 days for VF, and the rest splitted across Cape Town, Garden Route and Kruger. How many days the drive towards Namibia will take? I don't want to backtrack.

Any countries except SA are not an option unfortunately - couple of people in our group do not have visa free entry anywhere in that region and getting visas from South Africa are enough hassle already.
The Cape Town - Namibia route is more about the journey, rather than any specific destination. Lots of beautiful scenery along the way. But given you cannot enter any other countries in the region, I'd suggest sticking to the Garden route. Whole length is perfectly safe and plenty of great stop off points all the way from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth. I wouldn't suggest going past East London as the road conditions get significantly worse.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Even though early November is less popular than winter (it will be hot and may have started raining), the more popular locations (south and central) can still sell out quickly in the National Park rest camps. As I understand it, accommodation opens for booking 10-11 months out, on the first day of the month, so for November 2018 bookings will open 1 January 2018.

Considering that budget is no more $100/night for two with all taxes and fees, I'd assume that public rest camps are the only options.
Yes unfortunately that budget will be incredibly tight, even for NP rest camps. With conservation fees (assuming non-southern African) of $20-25 per person per day, you may only be able to afford the shared kitchen, shared bathroom 'huts'. Note that, when staying within Kruger NP you pay conservation fees per night (your last night's conservation fee covers the day you leave the park), which helps! You also mention a group travelling. The number of family cottages and guest houses are small, so book early, but you might get much better accommodation standards if you share the cost. And by self-catering you can save some money. Roodewal is probably more than you want to pay, but it is a camp you book in its entirety. The cottages have some great advantages like the ones with amazing views at Oliphants or Fish Eagle at Letaba which has its own private bird hide. If you are willing to 'rough it' and be self sufficient, two bird hides are available to hire overnight (Sable Dam and Shipandani) at a very good cost because of the limited facilities, but you need to get up very early to vacate for day visitors. The sanparks forum has loads of information on the rest camps and accommodation types.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for info. The $20-$25 per person fee applies even if you do not stay at park and enter for day visit/drive?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the school holidays (end of November).
They start December 6th.

November is a relatively quiet month by Kruger standards.

Johan
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:52 am

Thanks for info. The $20-$25 per person fee applies even if you do not stay at park and enter for day visit/drive?
Yes, the Conservation Fees are payable per person per day if entering daily, or covers each night if staying inside the park. You mention visiting other areas, so consider an International Wild Card which covers every SA National Park for a year. If you buy an International Wild Card for a couple travelling together, it saves you money after 6 days/nights. Current fees are here: https://www.sanparks.org/docs/touris...time1500363862.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
If you buy an International Wild Card for a couple travelling together, it saves you money after 6 days/nights. Current fees are here: https://www.sanparks.org/docs/touris...time1500363862.
If I read correctly this document, fee per day is R304 per person or 608 per couple, while Wildcard per couple is R845. Meaning that even after 2 days Wildcard saves money.

Am I correct?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:42 am

If I read correctly this document, fee per day is R304 per person or 608 per couple, while Wildcard per couple is R845. Meaning that even after 2 days Wildcard saves money.

Am I correct?
International Wildcard is R3455 per couple until October 2017. Your mixing up SA resident / citizen fees and International. Still offers good savings if visiting a number of parks.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: BA BD SA

Am I correct?
That Wildcard price you quote is for South African and SADC guests only. For "International" guests it costs an eye-watering R3,455 per couple!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.