Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Victoria Falls Airport question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Victoria Falls Airport question

Im going to be traveling from VFA to JNB early next year and I hear the lines for check in at VFA are sometimes hours long. Does anyone know if British air/ Comair has a separate Business class check in at VFA with shorter lines? Im thinking, if so, it might justify the extra expense for flying business on that short hop. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:44 am

While I've never flown out of VFA, take a look at how many flights depart from it, I find it hard to believe that check-in queue can take hours...

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...vfa/departures
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Well I think the problems are 1) There is no online check in: Everyone has to check in at the counter. 2) Half of the days flights leave within 2 hours of each other. 3) They only seem to have 2 checkin agents- and, from what I understand, these agents service passengers for all flights. So that can certainly cause a back up, especially when there are issues with overweight luggage being checked in and people pushing back on that etc
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
Wow! Thanks for the heads-up on that. We'll be taking the same route in about a week.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
I haven't flown out of VFA but recently flew LVI (across the river and across the border in Zambia) to JNB with BA.

Similar situation with about four flights all departing in quick succession. Queues were longish but certainly not hours. BA had a separate J check in with no queue. The agent did not believe we were flying J (we were) but once convinced, took our bags and completed formalities with no fuss.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*

Normal parameters for an international flight should work fine. They sure fixed the place up nice.

Last time I was there was before the new terminal and shoulder season for safaris so not really a good example. Prior to that, we landed on the dirt strip out by Elephant Hills in a Cessna Caravan so missed the airport entirely.

Since you're traveling during high season, expect delays. Luggage adventures are always interesting. Your guide and/or accommodation provider should have up to date information. We followed the advice of ours and had no issues, even though there were airline/airplane issues and delays on some of the trips. It definitely helped having a local who knew the ropes though I imagine that's less important now.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Any idea if Oneworld Sapphire privileges apply at VFA, or LVI for that matter (as I'm still deciding which airport to use). Specifically, I always travel hand luggage only and haven't checked in at a counter for years. The last thing I want to do is have to turn up early and stand in a queue for ages. Can OWS use the business class check-in at either airport?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Any idea if Oneworld Sapphire privileges apply at VFA, or LVI for that matter (as I'm still deciding which airport to use). Specifically, I always travel hand luggage only and haven't checked in at a counter for years. The last thing I want to do is have to turn up early and stand in a queue for ages. Can OWS use the business class check-in at either airport?
I went through LVI last year, so things may have changed, and I was flying Club on BA back to JNB.

Couldn't check in online. Couldn't select a seat online. Had to go through security prior to getting to the check-in desks (they weren't a theatre show and no liquids rules because you were with your checked bags) and then long queues for check-in (no special J queue when I was there). Had my seat allocated for me.

No lounge although I think it was being renovated. It's a very small airport with very few facilities otherwise.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Skatering
I went through LVI last year, so things may have changed, and I was flying Club on BA back to JNB.

Couldn't check in online. Couldn't select a seat online. Had to go through security prior to getting to the check-in desks (they weren't a theatre show and no liquids rules because you were with your checked bags) and then long queues for check-in (no special J queue when I was there). Had my seat allocated for me.

No lounge although I think it was being renovated. It's a very small airport with very few facilities otherwise.
Thanks for the info. I've booked a redemption LVI-JNB on BA and will try to check-in online, but leave plenty of time if that doesn't work.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
I flew LVI to JNB in July. On-line check in worked fine but had bags to check. There was a separate J bag-check with no queue. I would assume one world privileges would apply. No lounge but I think one of the check in staff told me it is coming. It's a very small but modern airport with a few shops / cafes etc.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:36 pm

the assassin thanks for the information. Mrs. jmj9905 and I are flying lvi/jnb in j in late sept. BA. lounge site has been saying for at least a year that the lounge is "under renovAation". I will post back when return home in mid October.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:29 am

I flew out of LVI last week. I was able to check-in online for BA the night before, though collected my boarding pass at the airport. There were a separate J and status check-in queue. No queue at security despite three flights going at the same time. Five minute wait for immigration. Staff all pleasant and lovely. There is a Priority Pass lounge which I think BA customers flying J can use, but it was "computer says no" for status access. Interestingly, there were three other "lounges" upstairs complete with chairs and departure screens but not in use. There were only around 50 on the BA flight. In short, a lovely little airport which puts many in Europe to shame!
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:58 pm

Thanks kingstontoon. We are flying J so i will assume we are eligible.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We flew out of VFA in May on SA. The line was fairly long, the progress very slow. There are minimal numbers of flights. There is virtually nothing to do in the airport. The airline is not going without you. The "TSA" was quite fast.

We were in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.