Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Roadtrip from Cape Town

Roadtrip from Cape Town

Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA / TAM / Multiplus / Smiles / Hertz Gold
Roadtrip from Cape Town - next December

Hi guys,we are a family of 3 from Brazil (couple + 17 yo daughter).

what do you think about this route?

And how many days in each Town?

From DEC 06 - DEC 22

Cape Town -- Gansbaai -- Agulhas -- Mossel Bay -- Porto Elizabeth -- Oudtshoorn -- Knysna -- Cape Town

In past I did 4 long roadtrips in USA. But this time we choose Africa, but I have no clues about drive long distances in South Africa and if we will have things to do between these cities.

Can you guys give me some suggestions?

And about flying TAAG from Brazil to Africa, no problem since Emirates manages the company?

Thank you.

Flavio

Last edited by flaviocc; Jun 30, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

Long distances is all relative, I guess, the longest section you have is Knysna - CPT which is probably around 6-7 hours including stops.
Oudtshoorn is between Knysna and Cape Town though, so you may want to reconsider the order you do things.

Personally I would drive one way, and fly back the other, especially on a relatively short trip such as yours, I would spend 4-5 days in CPT, and 1 or 2 nights in the other places you mentioned.

You didn't say what you would like to see or do, so it's hard to say which of those places are "better".
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a genuine road trip, I would suggest zigzagging instead of just driving up and down the coast. Any number of great mountain passes to choose from, the vast majority easily doable even in a sedan, and quite a few carry very little traffic.

By the way, large areas around Knysna recently burnt to a crisp, including over 20 lodges and guest houses. The number of accommodation options has decreased a bit.

Johan
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Double

Last edited by flaviocc; Jun 30, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Guys, thanks.

I wrote fast and sorry my fault for not give the details and the mistake about the order of the cities.

We like hiking, mountains, beaches. Know the local culture, the local food (not fancy foods and restaurants), fresh coffee (I travel with my grinder and aeropress), wine, museums... Things like that.

Flying back is not an option due to my budget.

All my roadtrips in USA was like a square or zigzag. And my main concern is if possible to do the same thing in that itinerary. The back roads are good to drive like the main road?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by flaviocc; Jul 1, 2017 at 5:36 am
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:02 am

Most roads are fine, even gravel roads, though if you ask a South African he will say you must have a bakkie (4x4 pickup van) if you go off the tarred roads

You will not have trouble finding wine farms all around, same for foods/restaurants, it's really hard to find anything but good food in South Africa.

Unless there is something specific you would like to see that warrants more than 2 night stay, you could do an even split of nights between all places.

Some of the places are pretty close by to each other (~2 hours drive or less), so you might want to sleep in one place and drive to the other during the day, I know I would prefer not having to move every night if I don't have to.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flaviocc
We like hiking, mountains, beaches. Know the local culture, the local food (not fancy foods and restaurants), fresh coffee (I travel with my grinder and aeropress), wine, museums... Things like that.
You can't possibly go wrong in the Cape, then!

Johan
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

@Ditto,

Yeah. I'm with you. It's better stay longer in a city and do small travels. I will plan my itinerary this way.

@johan rebel,

Thank you. Everybody loves Cape. I read a comment saying, it's like California but cheaper and with another options.

If you guys have any tips about places we don't have to miss.. Pls, tell me.

I read about a farm that have coffee tasting, olive oil and wine. The farm where you see the duck parade.

About flying TAAG company, it's ok?

And the experience in Addo vs Kruger? It's so different?

Thank you guys.

Flávio

Last edited by flaviocc; Jul 1, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
For me the Cape is all about the great outdoors and its landscapes rather than the towns. There are lots of accommodation options in the National Parks and reserves (e.g. capenature.co.za) with hiking on the doorstep as well as in towns, if you are self-sufficient.

That is a lot of driving for 14 days, particularly if you spend 3-5 days around Cape Town, which I would also highly recommend with hire car to see the immediate surrounds. If you are set on getting as far as Port Elizabeth I would definitely head to Addo for at least 2 nights. The mountains and scenery are fantastic all the way along the Western Cape. I particularly enjoyed the contrast going over the Outeniqua Pass from George to Oudtshoorn. There is truly so much variety in the scenery and landscape it is hard to give recommendations! I could spend months touring the area. The beaches around Cape Town can be more sheltered and have facilities, whereas there are great swathes of coastline further east with no-one around. I think I would recommend choosing between using the highway and explore the coast between George and PE + Addo or spend 10 days touring the back routes through Bettys Bay (penguins), Gansbaai, Agulhas, Oudtshoorn (caves, ostrich farming and meerkats), R62 to Robertson / Worcester (winelands, brandy and citrus farms).

Enjoy!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:40 am
Original Poster

@konagirl2,

Thank you so much for your help.

In your opinion doing the 2 ways in 14 days isn't possible? It's better choose one or other... Ohhh this is hard to do.

I don't know if I can stay longer. I'll see the options when I buy the tickets to fly.

My plan is define the trip next week.

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.