Wiki Posts
Search

Safari in Namibia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Safari in Namibia

Heading to Namibia in June, should we prebook safari tours for etoshia ahead of time or better to do it once we are in the park?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Where do you plan on staying?
Are you planning to do self-drive during the day? What kind of tour are you trying to book?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH FTL, QR Silver, Hilton Diamond
Etosha is very easy to self-drive. If you prefer a booked safari tour, it can be easily arranged at one of the gates or lodges inside of Etosha
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lucentis
Etosha is very easy to self-drive.
Agreed.

Etosha is the easiest park to self-drive that I can think of.

- The road network is limted and properly signposted, good maps are available. Getting lost is nigh on impossible.

- Large sections of Etosha are very open, making game spotting a bit easier (though not as easy as one might assume).

- in the dry season game is concentrated at the water holes.

As everywhere else, timing is the tricky part. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy, but that takes a while.

Johan
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
If you're strictly going on a safari in Namibia, Etosha is an easy self drive, but do keep an eye out for elephant dung, it does some nasty things to tires!

I didn't go to Etosha myself last month when I was in Namibia, instead I went to Kruger when I was in South Africa. Most people in Namibai I spoke to said to forget about Etosha if Kruger was part of your travel plans.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
If you're strictly going on a safari in Namibia, Etosha is an easy self drive, but do keep an eye out for elephant dung, it does some nasty things to tires!

I didn't go to Etosha myself last month when I was in Namibia, instead I went to Kruger when I was in South Africa. Most people in Namibai I spoke to said to forget about Etosha if Kruger was part of your travel plans.
We went to both and are happy we did. Viewing the animal life at the water hole in Etosha was one of the most memorable
safari experiences we have ever had. A local guide told us when to get there
and we stood in awe as animals came walking in from all directions. This works during dry season and the advantage is that one doesn't necessarily have to spend a lot of time looking for animals, as they come to you.

You didn't ask, but Sossusvlei was a memorable stop and a change from
the animal viewing routine.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
My wife and I are planning a safari in Namibia next August. She chose a company and then they backed out. We are looking for a good company and willing to pay (but our funds are not unlimited). Looking for 2 weeks--we (esp my wife) have some mobility issues but self-drive seems fine. Any recommendations for a company would be welcome either here (or better by email. Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL MM, AS Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG, ICH
Try Safariwise (http://safariwise.com.na) Namibian-based, Namibian-owned, they offer a combination of set tours (if you want to go with a group), or custom tours.

I traveled with them in June of this year and the experience was excellent. Safariwise provided the on-the-ground staff and logistics for a US-based photography company who provided the photography expertise. The staff was OUTSTANDING, the guides were all proud Namibians very happy to share their country with a bunch of US photographers.

Really interesting country; such unique scenery; lots of windshield time if you want to see all the top sights; be sure you have 1-2 spare tires (and know which roads are paved and which aren't)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.