Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Best deal on J award from US to S Africa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

AA charges 75k miles and UA charges 80k miles. Not too familiar with non-US programs but I have plenty of transferable points.

I'm flying from LAX, but it seems I need to connect either in JFK, WAS, Europe, or Middle east. Fri and Sat departures show the least J award space.

Can anyone recommend a convenient routing that's a good use of miles?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We flew JNB to JFK for low mileage a year and change ago via DL (Virgin Atlantic). You might try Virgin Atlantic as well directly. We also have flown to Tanzania on DL awards for maybe 65,000 points one way in business. The AMS to Tanzania leg was Klm.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:48 am
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by floridagal23
We flew JNB to JFK for low mileage a year and change ago via DL (Virgin Atlantic). You might try Virgin Atlantic as well directly. We also have flown to Tanzania on DL awards for maybe 65,000 points one way in business. The AMS to Tanzania leg was Klm.
I think Delta raised prices to 80,000 to East Africa and 95,000 to Southern Africa for departures after January 1st 2017 now.

OP - I recommend looking at Qatar for LAX-DOH-JNB. Their Business Class on the 787 (JNB leg) is excellent. The 777 from LAX is decent too (I actually like the seat a a lot. Just one easy connection and a quality product. AA charges 75,000 miles and availability is decent.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
The vast majority of options include a layover in Europe.

There is a very limited number of non-stop flights from NA to JNB (ATL/JFK/IAD-JNB).

Some FFPs (such as Aeroplan) will allow a routing via South America instead of Europe, e.g. US-GRU/EZE-JNB).

Routing via the Middle East (e.g. EK via DXB, QR via DOH, EY via AUH is another option.

Last but not least, routing via Asia can work well. The best program to do this using AS on CX US-HKG-JNB.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
I think Delta raised prices to 80,000 to East Africa and 95,000 to Southern Africa for departures after January 1st 2017 now.

OP - I recommend looking at Qatar for LAX-DOH-JNB. Their Business Class on the 787 (JNB leg) is excellent. The 777 from LAX is decent too (I actually like the seat a a lot. Just one easy connection and a quality product. AA charges 75,000 miles and availability is decent.
We flew back on Qatar J and it was a nice trip. Ended up catching a great sale and paid cash. Credited to AA.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:01 am

AA charges 75,000 miles each direction for continental US-Africa (or v.v.) in J. But that lowish rate is available only when using QR to/from DOH -and- QR to/from Africa.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
You're right- connecting in Doh also requires flying QR on the inbound and outbound. Once you reach SA, you may then connect onwards via BA. E. G. I'm doing a 23 hour stopover in CPT before going to JNB.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
ANA

ANA has an award for 104k RT in business. Redeem on EY and no fuel surcharges.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Alaska miles is 62.5/70k biz/first to

I've been hoarding Alaska miles just to take the First Class award! It's via Hong Kong and you can have a stopover there as well, so its like getting a Southeast Asia trip and an Africa trip all-in-one!
Old May 3, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Air Canada option

several times I've booked an Air Canada and star alliance option from YOW when I think starslliance matched something another airline initiated. As I recall the last one was under $3000 Canadian and allowed a stop over in Europe. Once I flew to Cape Town, once to Johannesburg. In both cases I open jawed to Dar. As I recall these deals seem to come up in September. I'm currently monitoring. Too bad several of the posts above that mention good prices don't give a ballpark of what the amount was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.