Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

South African Safari Companies: Go Touch Down Travel and Tours vs others?

Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

The company is based in USA and Canada (Ontario), and specializes in tours to South Africa - I learned this a few months ago, when go to a travel show in Ottawa, Canada. Apparently, I entered a contest, and I was called a few days ago saying that both my wife and I had won a month draw whereby we each get CAN$1800+ credit towards purchases made through that company.

They had me see the 30 min video (which is the first step to activate the credits) on their 7 day Capetown tours and also the 7 day safari tours; the next step is they will call me in 8 days to give more information.

Having gone through their web site and the tripadvisor thread on this company, most reviews are positive, but they are also on the expensive side. Some other tour companies (including AAA/CAA?) offer cheaper tours?
What do you think of their 2 tours? Do they offer any other travel services or packages?

Can anyone give me details on approx. prices, deposit requirments, cancellation regulations?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
The non-discounted price of a South African Disney trip (about 9 days - including Cape Town and safari) is at least $9000.

The non-discounted price of a Go Touch Down Travel and Tours for each of the 7 day Capetown or safari tours is about $5500.

Of course, I am being offered deep discounts (I am not at liberty to state them in an open forum) for the Go Touch Down Travel and Tours packages.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Oct 17, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Old Oct 16, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
This sounds scammy. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

See the table with the comparison of this GTD's luxury tours with those of the others, including Disney.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpqbq86o4x...17-16.pdf?dl=0

GTD states that they offer 1000 tours per year to North American travelers, more than any other tour company (whether luxury or budget tours).
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
scam, or at best, a low quality highly commercialized operator.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I know this is a year old thread but I received a phone call from them as well for $1250 off per person for the both of us.

Based on the link provided by FlyerGoldII, that's about $4000 per person without airfare. Sounds like the average pricing on any other African tours out there.

My "follow-up phone call" is tomorrow
Old Sep 26, 2017, 12:24 pm

I'm curious what your thoughts are after the "follow up" call. I also won a coupon, but I did enter to win a trip....just wonder what the catch is.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KellyBear
I'm curious what your thoughts are after the "follow up" call. I also won a coupon, but I did enter to win a trip....just wonder what the catch is.
Having previously looked into this operator, I'd never pay their "regular rates" for any of their safaris or CPT packages.

Their business model seems to based on advertising hugely inflated prices and then (presumably) everyone "wins" a discount. A client of mine "won" a 40%+ discount. Make of that what you want...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.