Search

Please check out my Mozambique/S.A./Swaziland itinerary! Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Smile Please check out my Mozambique/S.A./Swaziland itinerary! Advice needed

Hi!

I posted a few weeks ago about a Mozambique visa…it’s now duly in the bag (well, passport), so I’m good to go (just over 2 weeks to go!). From Mozambique I’m continuing into South Africa and Swaziland, and now just need someone to critique my itinerary?

I’ve bought the newest (Aug 2014) Bradt guidebook to Mozambique, which is quite in depth (especially compared to the very thin on detail LP I already had for Southern Africa), although like all guidebooks, can get out of date fairly quickly. Online info is also quite patchy. I’ve booked some domestic flights already (on LAM...any reports?), so just sorting out a few more details.

Day 1: Fly into Maputo, land at 1340. Booked a cheap room at the Hotel Continental (2 nights).

Day 3: To Tofo Beach. I understand I can either go to the bus station early (time? 5am?) to get a public bus to Inhambane (8 hours?) then a taxi to Tofo, or Fatimas Nest runs a shuttle (although the one report I saw about the shuttle was that it was long (10 hours) and not comfortable). Any suggestions? The one way flight is GBP 100, which is really pushing my budget.

Day 3: Stay at Tofo Beach (4 nights). Found a lovely looking hotel via Airbnb. Will do my PADI or just chill.

Day 7: Go to Inhambane for 1 night. Any recommendations for a cheapish hotel in town?

Day 8: Fly to Nampula (via Maputo, dep 1155, arrive 1940). It was expensive, but I don’t think I can stand 2 or 3 days of bus travel up north. I will have 6 nights between arriving and leaving Nampula, and the only must do is Mozambique Island (Ilha do Mozambique). What is the best way to spend my time? I think I’m going to have to spend the first and last night in Nampula due to flight times, but might add another one if there is something worth seeing. Is there much to see in Nampula? Ethnological Museum possibly. I can be there on a Sunday if the market is worth visiting (I think I read that somewhere). Another option might be a night in Nacala.
To get to Moz Island, I read that there is a “Tanzanianos chapa” leaving Nampula daily at 10am from next to the train station….can anyone verify this? It’d be great if it does exist, although it seems to leave fairly late compared to other chapas.
Is 3 nights then a good amount of time on the island? Is it still very local, or does it feel a little touristy now? Is it similar at all to Zanzibar?

Day 14: Lunchtime flight (dep 1130) Nampula to Johannesburg, landing at 1530. Pick up hire car. I’ve found a deal with Europcar for GBP 140 for 8 days + a GBP 40 fee to take the car into Swaziland, and dropping it at Durban Airport. Does this seem like a good deal?

I have 8 nights to get from Jo’burg to Durban, with Swaziland being my main goal. So from JNB drive out and spend the night enroute to the Swazi border (Airbnb have some nice looking places around Bethal and Ermelo).

Day 15: Cross the Swazi border…..

I would like to do a safari somewhere (either side of the border. Of the Big Five, I’ve only seen elephants and rhinos), either joining a daytrip/tour somewhere, or spending a night or two (in a reasonably priced lodge…maybe max $70/night. Hotels.com seemed to have some cheap lodges dotted around). Any recommendations? Anyone been to Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary or the Mkhaya Game Reserve?

I quite like walking and (easy) adrenaline sports (like paragliding/rafting), so would like to incorporate something like that maybe.

Cross back into South Africa. The Kwazulu-Natal area looks cool, but I’m not sure if I should prioritise that, or Swaziland. From what I’ve read about Durban, I think maybe I’ll just spend my final night there. I’m much more interested in the scenery and safaris than business/trade cities.

Day 22: Fly out of Durban (dep 1815)

So, any help to improve the itinerary would be appreciated (although my flights are now confirmed). More generally, how is Mozambique? I’ve been to South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zanzibar and Namibia. Is Mozambique similar (language aside)? I gather it’s fairly safe. I’ll be there outside South African holidays, so hopefully it won’t be too busy with tourists.

Also, from what I’ve read, it seems like a lot of “chapas” leave between 3am-5am….surely I’m not the only one wondering why!? This seems like the ultimate in inconvenient timing. I mean, it can’t get much worse! You loose a night of sleep, and have to get to bus stations and find transport in the dark (when the streets are least safe). Or is it just a cultural thing, with no sensible justification.

For driving around Swaziland, I head the roads are decent enough. I should be ok in the cheapest category car? I don’t think I can afford splashing out for a 4x4.

Thanks!

Last edited by shefgab; Apr 10, 2016 at 8:59 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I haven't been yet, but will be going to Mozambique (and Zambia/Zimbabwe) at the end of the year. I'll be sticking to the northern half of Mozambique, as my brother is living there. Have heard incredible things about the beaches in Moz, including near Ilha de Mozambique. Also that people are very friendly.
Will be interested to hear your experiences. You've been to so many countries - amazing!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:36 am

Hi, great itinerary, Mozambique is a beautiful country, as a Tofo resident I can guarantee you'll have a great time, for getting to Tofo from Maputo there is a shuttle service run by a lady called zelma, you can check with her when she is coming up, have a look at tofo info dot com, a great website to show you whats happening in the area, I wouldnt recommend spending a night in Inhambane, maybe have a look at Barra instead for a night, and the reason the Chapas leave so early is to try and avoid the cops on the road as much as possible

Eddie
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by spainlover
I haven't been yet, but will be going to Mozambique (and Zambia/Zimbabwe) at the end of the year. I'll be sticking to the northern half of Mozambique, as my brother is living there. Have heard incredible things about the beaches in Moz, including near Ilha de Mozambique. Also that people are very friendly.
Will be interested to hear your experiences. You've been to so many countries - amazing!
I'll report back on here how it goes!

Originally Posted by tofoinfo
Hi, great itinerary, Mozambique is a beautiful country, as a Tofo resident I can guarantee you'll have a great time, for getting to Tofo from Maputo there is a shuttle service run by a lady called zelma, you can check with her when she is coming up, have a look at tofo info dot com, a great website to show you whats happening in the area, I wouldnt recommend spending a night in Inhambane, maybe have a look at Barra instead for a night, and the reason the Chapas leave so early is to try and avoid the cops on the road as much as possible

Eddie
Thanks for that Eddie, and welcome to Flyertalk! Where is Zelmas details? I couldn't see any mention of her on that website.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Sorry to bring this topic up after such a long time, but in a few months time I will be going for the first time to Mozambique. I only have approx 4.5 days there. Any suggestions on what or where I should visit? I will be there end Feb time frame.

I am not such a big beach fan, so a day spend on a beach/seaside area is sufficient. I would like to if there are see more nature/wildlife.

Is renting a car a better option to explore outside of Maputo?

How many days do I need for Maputo? or should I just skip it altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

I, too, am curious about travel in Mozambique. Should we? If so, what should we see? I've found a business class award ticket on TAP into Maputo and am intrigued.
@B747-347B, any thoughts? Others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.