Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

one night in between Lion Sands and Singita Lebombo

Old Mar 19, 16, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

We will be staying at Lion Sands River Lodge from Sept 1-3, and Singita Lebombo from 4-6. However, we have a in between day (Sept 3-4) due to lack of hotel availability, where we need to find a place to stay for the night before transferring to Singita Lebombo.

Does anyone have suggestions on what area we should stay at for ease of transfer? After some research I am thinking maybe Protea Kruger gate since it is close to Lion Sands. And the next day we can hire a private transfer to drive to Singita Lebombo.

Does this plan work? How long is it from Protea Kruger Gate to Singita Lebombo? Is there somewhere else more suitable we should look into?

Thank you so much!!!
Old Mar 19, 16, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poohbear0218 View Post
How long is it from Protea Kruger Gate to Singita Lebombo? Is there somewhere else more suitable we should look into?
H11 > H1-2 > H1-3 > S37 (Trichardt Road) would be the shortest route. About 110 kilometers, or 4 to 5 hours at game drive speed.

You could consider spending the night at Skukuza in the KNP. Almost, but not quite, across the river from Lion Sands. Tinga lies in-between.

Johan
Old Mar 19, 16, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply! I didn't realize it will be 4 hrs from Protea Kruger to Singita Lebombo as google map says it's 2hrs and 45 min. Do you think it will make more sense if I stay near Singita Boulders and take a flight from there the next day?

Thanks a lot for all your help!!
Old Mar 20, 16, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google presumably bases it calculation on the assumption that you drive at the maximum permitted speed, which in the KNP is 50 kph on tar, and 40 kph on gravel roads. That's completely unrealistic, calculations should be based on an average of 25 kph, or less.

It is actually a very nice drive through a variety of habitats with a very good chance of seeing plenty of game. It will afford you the opportunity to see that the Lowveld is far more diverse than one would think if just visiting Lions Sands and Singita. To maximize the game viewing, I would recommend entering the KNP as soon as the gate opens.

I'm sure that an air transfer can be arranged from any suitable airfield, but note that Singita Lebombo does not have an airstrip of its own. You will be flown to Satara in the KNP, from there is almost 30 kilometers to Singita, depending on which road you take. I suspect the transfers are via the H6 instead of the S101, even though the latter is usually far better for game viewing.

Johan
Old Mar 21, 16, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I am NOT an expert here,but want to possibly suggest doing an overnight where you can see the Blyde River Canyon area? Would this be a possible option?
Old Mar 22, 16, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep View Post
an overnight where you can see the Blyde River Canyon area? Would this be a possible option?
Sure, but the canyon is in the opposite direction, so one would have to allow sufficient time.

Johan
Old Mar 24, 16, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Can you stay at Sweni for the night?
Old Mar 26, 16, 9:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I stayed at Inyati which I think is near Lion Sands as I saw their safari vehicles on our drives. I have review on philatravelgirl blog
Old Mar 27, 16, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl View Post
I stayed at Inyati which I think is near Lion Sands as I saw their safari vehicles on our drives.
Inyati is on the Sand River in the very northwestern corner of Sabi Sand, whereas Lion Sands is on the Sabi River on the southern boundary. Even if you stick to the cutlines it is a long game drive between the two. I can't imagine they share traversing.

Johan
Old Mar 28, 16, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
We stayed at Hamilton's in September. We flew into Skukuza and Hamilton's provided complimentary pick up at Skukuza. After Hamilton's we stayed at Lion Sands Narina......Hamilton's provided a complimentary transfer back to Skukuza where Narina folks met us to take us there.

Hamilton's is going good in the same direction to Singita and I would assume you could arrange an easy transfer from there to Singita. We absolutely loved Hamilton's and would easily stay there again.
Old Mar 28, 16, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nalismom View Post
We stayed at Hamilton's in September. We flew into Skukuza and Hamilton's provided complimentary pick up at Skukuza. After Hamilton's we stayed at Lion Sands Narina......Hamilton's provided a complimentary transfer back to Skukuza where Narina folks met us to take us there.

Hamilton's is going good in the same direction to Singita and I would assume you could arrange an easy transfer from there to Singita. We absolutely loved Hamilton's and would easily stay there again.
Thanks for the info! How did you like Narina? Did you try the tree house?
Old Mar 31, 16, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
We liked Narina...very different from Hamilton's....we had wonderful guides in both lodges. We did not do the treehouse but some folks sharing our rover did so we got to see it. Romantic idea but considering it's an add-on to your already paid for room at the lodge we couldn't see the point.