Reload this Page >

Entebbe: tips, tricks, recommendations

Old Mar 15, 16, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles

Hello,

I'm being dispatched to various spots in Uganda for a couple of projects shortly.

So, I'm calling upon the collective wisdom of all on here for the following:

1) The cheapest flight is by Turkish Airlines, but the arrival time is 02:55. Is it safe? Will any hotel do a pick up? Am I nuts? Is it worth the extra to go with, say, EK or ETH who drop me off at a more reasonable hour? I'm starting in Manchester, so ETH would be a trip to London first, or Dublin. SN is also an option, but more expensive again. EK less desirable as they fly the A340 there and it's looking tired.

2) Any recommendations for somewhere to rest my head in Entebbe? Cheap, but also reliable.

3) Can someone provide the name for a reliable driver who could take me out to the Provinces?

Also, any other tips welcomed. Go crazy.

Thanks

MM
Old Mar 16, 16, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Entebbe is a pretty safe and sleepy town. Personally I would take a different flight so I could get to sleep at a decent hour. Also, some of the smaller and more B&B type hotels will not have anyone awake after midnight to check you in. The Protea or Laico hotels ought to be ok though. If you give them a call you can verify, and you can also get some good local intelligence from the concierges at those hotels.
Old Mar 18, 16, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Hey Stimpy

Thanks for the tips.

On reflection I think I will get on one of the other flights.

The EK flights are the best timed for arrival, but they give me a rubbish connection in Dubai. ET would be great timings wise, but it means getting to either Dublin or London.

SN would also be fine, though pricey.

Do you have any tips for cheap places without the requirement that they be open all night to let me in?

MM
Old Mar 18, 16, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse View Post
Do you have any tips for cheap places without the requirement that they be open all night to let me in?
Have you thought about KLM? Or flying to NBO and taking a cheap connection from there?

Sorry I know some lower cost hotels that will be open in Kampala, but I'm not current on Entebbe hotels. Try the Speke if you go into Kampala.
Old Mar 19, 16, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Have you thought about KLM? Or flying to NBO and taking a cheap connection from there?

Sorry I know some lower cost hotels that will be open in Kampala, but I'm not current on Entebbe hotels. Try the Speke if you go into Kampala.
I haven't had a 'proper' look for flights because I'm still waiting to hear about firm dates. I will then check prices and routes properly.

I have sussed out all the routes possible that are within my price range.

AMS, BRU, DXB, AUH, ADD and IST are all roughly possible. While the flights are all going to be much of a muchness on board, I believe arrival time is my major factor.

The AMS direct flight gets me in at 22.30ish, which is a bit late. Via NBO is possible though it means a 0.55 minute connection in NBO which means I will never see my luggage again.

The BRU flight gets me in at 19.30 which is perfect really.

The DXB and AUH flights get me in at lunchtime which is also perfect. Though on the way home these flights offer a dreadful connection in DXB and AUH.

The IST flight arrives at 02.55 which is almost early. Do the Turkish people hate sleep? I don't know. Are these flights popular??

Stimpy, you sound like you know the region. Could you spend a few minutes talking me through this?

I would need to stay in either Entebbe which looks quite peaceful or head to Kampala. What are the transport options to Kampala and prices? What are some good but safe places to stay? Help a confused traveller.
Old Mar 19, 16, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would need to stay in either Entebbe which looks quite peaceful or head to Kampala. What are some good but safe places to stay?
Many Entebbe hotels have the advantage of being located literally around the corner from the airport. If you arrive or don't need to be in Kampala immediately, then Entebbe is a good choice. The Protea is just fine, and within sight of the airport.

Traffic between Entebbe and Kampala can be a pain at times, the trip could take several hours.

Johan
Old Mar 19, 16, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stimpy, you sound like you know the region. Could you spend a few minutes talking me through this?

I would need to stay in either Entebbe which looks quite peaceful or head to Kampala. What are the transport options to Kampala and prices? What are some good but safe places to stay? Help a confused traveller.
I'll try, but I'm a business traveler who never checks bags, so my situation is different. I usually stay at the Sheraton Kampala and they pick me up from EBB for around US$25 or 30. But the Speke hotel is right across from the Sheraton and probably a lot cheaper. Those are two good choices if you want to be right in the center. There are many, many vans, taxis and buses going between EBB and Kampala all day and night. I try to fly in and out of EBB at night to avoid the traffic on the road to/from Kampala. Or Sunday mid-day is usually fine. But as Johan says above, if you don't need to go to Kampala, maybe it would be best to avoid it due to congestion. Personally I like the town though and have never felt unsafe.
Old Mar 19, 16, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

So far, I don't need to be in Kampala at all. I'm being sent out to some places on the border with the DRC. My thoughts for staying in Entebbe were that I would need a full day to get out there, and so arriving either in the night or in the day, I would need a hotel.

I will be travelling with luggage as I'm there for 5 weeks or so.
Old Mar 19, 16, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far, I don't need to be in Kampala at all. I'm being sent out to some places on the border with the DRC. My thoughts for staying in Entebbe were that I would need a full day to get out there, and so arriving either in the night or in the day, I would need a hotel.

I will be travelling with luggage as I'm there for 5 weeks or so.
Just my personal opinion, but it doesn't cost much to have your laundry done in Uganda and it's pretty warm. I could do 5 weeks with one duffel bag that is just small enough to go in the cabin. Plus I really would not want to lug heavy luggage if I were heading to western Uganda. Lastly, the less things you bring, the less of a target you make for theft.

If you plan on spending more than 12 hours in a hotel to recover from your flight, you'd better make it a nice hotel with a comfortable bed. I'd splurge on the Laico or Protea in Entebbe.
Old Mar 20, 16, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Just my personal opinion, but it doesn't cost much to have your laundry done in Uganda and it's pretty warm. I could do 5 weeks with one duffel bag that is just small enough to go in the cabin. Plus I really would not want to lug heavy luggage if I were heading to western Uganda. Lastly, the less things you bring, the less of a target you make for theft.
I second all that. Furthermore, things like t-shirts etc. can if need be usually be purchased at one's destination, often cheaply.

Luggage is a pain, the less the merrier.

Johan
Old Mar 26, 16, 6:17 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Staying in EBB is far easier than going into Kampala. I, for one, try to avoid roads in Uganda after dark. I've stayed at a handful of different B&B's close to EBB, that all have pickup options, are clean, safe, and inexpensive.

However, the Speke is very nice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: