Wiki Posts
Search

Shire, Ethiopia (and region)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Shire, Ethiopia (and region)

A friend's wife is spending 10 days in Shire on business. Any suggestions for what to do in that vicinity, resources to use, and what to avoid?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:46 am

I've passed through once, cycling between Gondar and Asmara, back when the Eritrean border was open. Frankly, the Tigray Region didn't interest me much. Axum is the big (relatively) tourist draw. I'm far less interested in the ancient than the modern (including living people); others obviously enjoy the world differently.

I didn't have any hassles (until I got to the border, of course), but I travel really low-profile: alone, by bicycle. Language barriers were high for me, but learning to say "thank you" in Amharic was very, very useful. "Ahmesugenalew."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.