Robben Island/Table Mountain Timing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: HH, UA, HGP
We just did both of these trips (on separate days). We showed up at Table Mt. at about 10am on a beautiful and busy saturday morning to what looked like a huge line, just to buy tickets (filled the other side of the street waiting area queue). The line for the cable car wasn't too bad with just the line full on the cable car side of the street. Not wanting to wait in line to buy tickets, I jumped on the phone and ordered them online -- a barcode was instantly presented and we hopped right into the loading line. Worked like a champ! We ended up spending a lot more time at the top than I had guessed...but it was really a top attraction and lots to see while hike around. Also, the cable car was slowed way down for mechanical issues for the trip down and the line became super long -- one trip every 20 min or so. Issues like this apparently are common, so I'd hate to have this be an issue to miss a booking for another activity.

We pre-ordered the Robben Island tickets online before a week or so before our trip. Worked out just fine, but it seemed like it would be no problem to get them on the spot as well. The boat ride over was great with lots of whales, dolphins, and great views. The tour unfortunately was a disappointment -- probably my least favorite thing we did on our whole trip. Guides added very little and even struggled to tell the basic story in such a way that my kids could follow it. the sites were not all that interesting -- it's a hallway of cells/a quarry/a snack bar so you can buy some water. You're crammed in bus for a loop that seems like it would have been done in the same amount of time walking (seemed like only a couple of kms). Just the whole thing was not good. It had potential, but my whole group (my parents and my kids) thought it fell flat -- especially when there was so many other great things to do in the area. We went at 11am and got back around 3pm -- got on the big boat on the way back which was tons slower -- the smaller boats that loaded after we left beat us back by probably 20-30 minutes.

I would think doing both in a day would make for a pretty long and full day, especially if it was warm and sunny.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

It took me three days to get to top of Table Mountain due to weather. The hotel concierge reserved my ticket so I could skip the ticket queue. I ended up having the day tour from the wineries drop me off on way back to watch sunset which was incredible and not that crowded. Downside was that I had limited time so couldn't hike out much. But it was so worth it (photos on my blog - same as user name)

Robben Island ticket was booked in advance.

If you get great weather and water you should be able to do same day.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of the Robben Island ferries sank last Friday.

"The National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) responded to the emergency on Friday, and managed to help 63 passengers and five crew to safety.

The ferry was found to be listing to one side from water ingress due to unknown causes.

Not having the ferry running will affect business drastically, especially with the tourism season approaching.
"

Johan
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
It took me three days to get to top of Table Mountain due to weather. The hotel concierge reserved my ticket so I could skip the ticket queue. I ended up having the day tour from the wineries drop me off on way back to watch sunset which was incredible and not that crowded. Downside was that I had limited time so couldn't hike out much. But it was so worth it (photos on my blog - same as user name)

Robben Island ticket was booked in advance.

If you get great weather and water you should be able to do same day.
We were in Capetown several years ago and able to do both in a single day. We had pre booked the early Robben Island ferry on the internet (I think there was slight discount), which did leave on time. On the return, a much smaller boat arrived on Robben Island which clearly could not accomodate all the passengers wanting to leave. We got on the boat, and the seas were pretty rough but we made it back early afternoon I believe. We went to Table Mountain just before sunset and did not hike, but spent time at the top to watch the sunset, which was really beautiful. We had been warned that it was unlikely we would be able to do all of this is a day but I guess we were lucky and it worked out. Based on our crossing, I am not surprised at Johan's post of the ferry evacuation. It seemed then that there were improvements to the process that needed to be made.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
On the return, a much smaller boat arrived on Robben Island which clearly could not accomodate all the passengers wanting to leave. We got on the boat, and the seas were pretty rough.
Check out pics of the overloaded and sinking ferry here.

"The Democratic Alliance’s (DA) MPP, Beverley Schäfer, said in a press release that the video footage showed Robben Island Museum (RIM) employees going against regulation by secretly boarding ferries meant for tourists, resulting in ferries, such as the Thandi being overloaded. ... employees of RIM had separate ferries to transport them to and from work between shifts, however these boats took twice as long to reach the island, “therefore many employees resort to secretly boarding tourist ferries to cut the duration of the trip”. Schäfer said passengers wanting to visit RIM were at constant risk, due to negligence. “It is becoming increasingly pressing to root out the alleged corruption at the heart of RIM management.

“Employees should not be using touring ferries,” says Schäfer.
"

Johan
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
That's a pretty interesting story..not good..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.