Wiki Posts
Search

JNB-CPT return flights on whose metal?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade

During my visit to Sth Africa I am looking at booking a return JNB-CPT flight. I see BA/Comair and SA fly the route - any others?

For a short flight like this any significant difference between the two i should be aware of (eg on time reliability, service, etc) or does it bascially come down to price? I'm assuming the mile accrual on either (I have OW and *A membership) will be inconsequential in Y anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would pick BA/Comair in Y if there isn't much in it pricewise. If you have 6500 Avios (12750 for J) then you only need to pay the RFS fee on BA.

Kulula (also run by Comair) and Mango are LCCs which both provide a reasonable no-frills service.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
7500 Avios, right?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by u2g0d
7500 Avios, right?
6500/12750 is the new "Off-peak" pricing, it is 7500/15000 on "Peak" days.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BA BD SA
If you are indifferent to miles earning you should consider some of the LCCs: Kulula (which belongs to Comair) and Mango (which belongs to SAA). There is also Safair which is offering very aggressive fares currently.

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
6500/12750 is the new "Off-peak" pricing, it is 7500/15000 on "Peak" days.
You will also be offered options using fewer Avios and more money. These are invariably excellent value - unless you are literally drowning in Avios.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just booked JNB to VictFalls on BA/Comair. It was 9000 + $50US each way in "first/business" using Avios. No idea what service we should expect.

Unable to do advance seat selection.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:07 am

You get lounge access to the excellent SLOW lounge at JNB and good standard of catering and service on board.

You get free seat selection if you hold Oneworld status otherwise it is available to all at OLCI.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
You get lounge access to the excellent SLOW lounge at JNB and good standard of catering and service on board.

You get free seat selection if you hold Oneworld status otherwise it is available to all at OLCI.
By status, I assume you mean more than the entry level. Only status above entry I have is with Skyteam. Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
By status, I assume you mean more than the entry level. Only status above entry I have is with Skyteam. Thanks
Yes, Ruby level members can select seats at T -7 Days, Emerald and Sapphire can do this at the time of booking: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...flyer-benefits
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Kulula flights can be very cheap.

I bought the JNB-CPT, and CPT-JNB flights on Kulula flight number and they are only 718 Rand each way. With the exchange rate between 15.5 to 16.5 (fluctuate pretty widely), the final posted charge to our Citicard was $91ish for 2 persons each way. This compares to 6500 avios + $44 USD per person, meaning the Kulula ticket is only a buck or so more than the $44 USD cash portion but you save 6500 avios.

However if you buy the BA flight number, the ticket price is 3x the Kulula flight number, and the planes are almost identical except for the livery.

On TripAdvisor forum people said if Kulula flight is delayed they would put people on BA flight as both are operated by Comair.

Kulula flight does not earn anything and BA flight earns Avios or other oneworld currency. But do you really want to pay 300% to earn those Avios?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Kulula flight does not earn anything ...
Correction: you can now earn Avios on Kulula using Avios.com. The earning rate is 3 Avios per R10 spent.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Correction: you can now earn Avios on Kulula using Avios.com. The earning rate is 3 Avios per R10 spent.
Not bad for folks in UK as Avios.com requires UK address to open. I put in our BA numbers anyway but the website said Invalid FFP number used.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
In terms of luggage allowance I see that Mango offers free luggage but the other LCC's charge for this?

Does comair have european business class style seats?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:14 am

Comair has "old style" business class seats i.e. a plusher seat, wider than economy and with more legroom in a fixed 2-3 configuration.

So, apart from the config, more like domestic F seats in the US.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
So, apart from the config, more like domestic F seats in the US.
Surely they will be less wider if they have managed to fit in 5 abreast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.