Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Cape Town Base Sea Point or Green Point?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

What is a better area to be based in CT? Coming here in the Spring and have heard differing views as Green Point is closer to the Waterfront but that Sea Point has better local restaurants than Green Point but a little farther away from the waterfront? What would be the best area to stay in?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
What is a better area to be based in CT? Coming here in the Spring and have heard differing views as Green Point is closer to the Waterfront but that Sea Point has better local restaurants than Green Point but a little farther away from the waterfront? What would be the best area to stay in?
I stayed in Sea Point over the Christmas holidays and disagree that Sea Point has better restaurants. In my opinion the selection, quality and scenery of the Waterfront restaurants was better.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: BA BD SA
There really isn't much in it. They are after all pretty much adjacent (if you ignore the tiny sliver that is Three Anchor Bay).

Green Point is definitely trendier with more cafe culture and bars and clubs for the young and/or gay. But that doesn't exactly make it some sort of bohemian paradise - most of it is plenty boring. Where exactly would you be thinking of? Green Point is long and some spots are far better served with restaurants etc. Accessibility to the Waterfront and its restaurants is better than from Sea Point (but not by a whole lot) and would still require motor transport in many instances.

Sea Point is rather dowdy in many respects and has lost the reputation it once had of offering loads of good restaurants. That died a long time ago with the advent of the Waterfront. But Sea Point has revived quite a lot in the past few years again. I can think of several worthwhile restaurants right off the top of my head. Again it a a long, strung-out suburb so precisely where you are situated will make a difference.

IMO the decision would depend more on what you intend to do and what sort of transport you intend using.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, American Airlines, Delta Skymiles, Jet Blue, SAA
Hi ASUDan130!

I completely agree with Cheetah_SA. Where you stay depends entirely upon what you'd like to do while visiting Cape Town as well as how much resulting free time you will have to enjoy your choice of area.

You also didn't indicate how long you plan on staying in Cape Town so I'd also add that if your visit is longer than the fairly typical 3-4 nights, then you may have more time available to invest in the local vibe of the neighborhood/area that you choose as your base.

One last thing... Getting around is not difficult nor costly no matter where you choose. The HOHO bus is great for getting around and clients as well as posters say uber has worked well!

All the best! Enjoy your trip!
Dianne
Africa Direct USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.