Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Long connection/stopover at ADD / Addis Ababa: lodging and airline courtesy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long connection/stopover at ADD / Addis Ababa: lodging and airline courtesy?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Well, last year if you had a voucher, you just head through immigration and meet with the hotel reps at the hotel desk. No need to wait at the transfer desk.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
So in sum even if you have a voucher (we didn't) in advance you will still be waiting a looong time for your room..
If you have a voucher already from origination station (and this is now done almost 100% of the time as there should be an automatic SSR in the PNR for STPC eligible pax which the station picks up in pre-flight editing - the only time this may be missed is if you are booking within 48 hours of the flight departure), you go directly to immigration. Once you clear customs but before you exit the arrivals hall there is a desk which will validate your voucher and arrange the local transport. If you are in Cloud Nine, your voucher is for the Hilton and you will be directed to the Hilton desk in arrivals who have a regular shuttle service.

I'm usually in my hotel room within an hour of touchdown. Never taken me longer than 90 minutes, and that is with dozens of data points at all hours of day.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Palal
Well, last year if you had a voucher, you just head through immigration and meet with the hotel reps at the hotel desk. No need to wait at the transfer desk.
We had no voucher. We originally had a 1.5 hour connection at ADD and had no plans to spend any time there.

Originally Posted by B747-437B
If you have a voucher already from origination station (and this is now done almost 100% of the time as there should be an automatic SSR in the PNR for STPC eligible pax which the station picks up in pre-flight editing - the only time this may be missed is if you are booking within 48 hours of the flight departure), you go directly to immigration. Once you clear customs but before you exit the arrivals hall there is a desk which will validate your voucher and arrange the local transport. If you are in Cloud Nine, your voucher is for the Hilton and you will be directed to the Hilton desk in arrivals who have a regular shuttle service.

I'm usually in my hotel room within an hour of touchdown. Never taken me longer than 90 minutes, and that is with dozens of data points at all hours of day.
We had no voucher because the plan (and then backup plan) was to spend <2hours at ADD. The Pointe Noire team was very nice during the 9-hr delay but completely useless on re-bookings or anything else like hotel vouchers.

As I noted above, the immigration folks would not let us through to customs without a hotel voucher (would not even permit us to pay for a visa!) So your plan above did not work.

An hour to get to the hotel would have been great but impossible with the epic fail by ET. The worst irrops support I've ever seen, but then again I try to avoid 3rd world carriers and won't make that mistake again.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
We had no voucher because the plan (and then backup plan) was to spend <2hours at ADD. The Pointe Noire team was very nice during the 9-hr delay but completely useless on re-bookings or anything else like hotel vouchers.
Ah, so you were not on an STPC. You were an IROPS rebooking. Totally different situation.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:51 am

I have a long reservation, multiple cities on a single PNR.

On one of many flights, I have a flight from Kilimanjaro to Capetown South Africa, 12 hour overnight layover in Addis Ababa, both flights on EA.

Do I grab/ask for my voucher in Kilimanjaro? or my very first flight of my reservation which originates in the USA?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Do I grab/ask for my voucher in Kilimanjaro? or my very first flight of my reservation which originates in the USA?
You will get your voucher in JRO when you check-in. Alternatively, you can now get your voucher automatically from the Android App after you OLCI (choose the "Feel Addis" option and it will then email you the voucher).
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
You will get your voucher in JRO when you check-in. Alternatively, you can now get your voucher automatically from the Android App after you OLCI (choose the "Feel Addis" option and it will then email you the voucher).
Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Palal
If I have a 25-hour transfer, flying in cloud nine, what are the chances of me getting a free hotel and a free transit visa?
Any other experiences with a 25 hour transfer in cloud nine that would otherwise be eligible except that its 25 hours instead of 24?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by beofotch
Any other experiences with a 25 hour transfer in cloud nine that would otherwise be eligible except that its 25 hours instead of 24?
Not officially. See if you can convince someone at the originating station to issue you the certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.