Reload this Page >

Bringing Personal Medications into South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing Personal Medications into South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You can request the Pharmacy issue you a copy of the physical RX. Unless it's not allowed by law where you are, they can make a copy and just mark it as a copy. No Pharmacy will be able to use it.

Or you have your doctor write a quick note stating they prescribed you this medication on X date and the correct dosage & frequency.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for that. I've only started on meds a few months ago (and will probably do forever!) so I'm a complete novice in this area. Still, I can't complain, having reached 72 without needing any
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We take our meds in baggies (snack), with little notes of what they are, and dosage on all our trips. Plus 1 or 2 weekly sectioned plastic carriers. We also carry a list of all our prescriptions with some details, in case we need to replace any.

The concept of sealed bottles, is only good for the first flight, you open it and take some pills, now it is unsealed for the next flight. So?

Maybe we have just been lucky?

30 years ago, we went around an 8X year old lady getting off a cruise ship, who way holding up the line, explaining each and every drug she had, and that was a lot.

To, and in Africa, we were on a total of 8 flights. We went thru 10 or more changes of countries (Customs, visa purchase, etc). Had pills in each of our backpacks, as in first line above.

Never showed the "liquids" baggie, in which we keep some of our prescription eye drops, or our pills. At one airport our back packs were searched, as was everyone carryon for that flight. Nothing said or questions asked.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
When traveling with medicines, best practice is to leave them in the bottles or blister packs they were dispensed in with the pharmacy printed prescription attached. This leaves very little room for anyone, police, border control., etc., to misunderstand.

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
When traveling with medicines, best practice is to leave them in the bottles or blister packs they were dispensed in with the pharmacy printed prescription attached. This leaves very little room for anyone, police, border control., etc., to misunderstand.
That's what mine are .. blister pack with Pharmacy label attached. I have no concerns about travelling with those.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by T8191
Just wondering vaguely how I get to show the prescription, when I hand that in to the Pharmacy to get issued with the medication!
On the mainland, my NHS prescription is in 2 parts - one sheet with a perforation to allow the prescription proper to go to the chemist and the remaining part acting as a menu for next time the doc prescribes. I take the remaining part on my travels together with a slightly generous supply of medication in original packaging. I take the next few days' requirements in a handy dispenser bought from Clicks in SA. I've never been challenged, except for a swab of my contact lens lotion (in the UK).

An alternative would be to copy the prescription?

No idea whether the CI procedure is different from the mainland.

Er, I'm using 'mainland' to be GB, not F.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah-Ha! I have discovered receipt stubs from the first batch, but none from the latest. I guess that will do. Cheers, roger ^
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
On the mainland, my NHS prescription is in 2 parts - one sheet with a perforation to allow the prescription proper to go to the chemist and the remaining part acting as a menu for next time the doc prescribes.
The NHS still does paper perscriptions?

In Sweden I just walk into any drugstore and show them my ID. That's it. If I don't feel like going to town, I can get the stuff sent to my local general dealer, where all I have to say is "hi".

Johan
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The NHS still does paper perscriptions?
Yes. There is a system that allows a processing pharmacist to acquire prescription details automatically and deliver them without charge. I suspect that that's more suitable for those with chronic conditions.
In Sweden I just walk into any drugstore and show them my ID. That's it. If I don't feel like going to town, I can get the stuff sent to my local general dealer, where all I have to say is "hi".
Well, that's Sweden for you.

In the UK, we have no formalised ID system. No ID cards; travellers have passports; otherwise a driving licence (if you are a driver); utility bill (but mine are online rather than snailmail, and printouts of online statements are not accepted). If you are a non-driving, non-travelling patient, the Swedish system would be difficult to apply in the UK.

ETA: I don't know how the 'thumbs up' symbol appeared in my post, nor do I know how to get rid of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.