Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 Days in Namibia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

10 Days in Namibia

We have 10 days to spend in Namibia in March and want to see Luderitz, Aus, Fishriver Canyon, Swakopmund and Etosha. Besides using a rental car (4WD?), any feedback on using public overland busses/trains (with luggage)? We are trying to keep the cost down but 10 nights with moderate hotels/car seems to be quite expensive. Any suggestions? What COULD we leave out to keep the cost down? Thanks much.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:41 pm

I did Namibia a little over a year ago. I only had a few days and just did Swakop and planned to do Sossusvlei, thus my comments are limited. But I also debated getting a car. I was worried about a stick shift on the opposite side of the road, so I tried public transport. It sucked. I took a van, and there were several options on companies. They were quick enough. One way was overcrowded with a person on the floor. But it just felt like I was missing a lot. That was my biggest problem is it seemed so much more was accessible with a car. I was unable to find a good van option to Sossusvlei, and missed that entirely. I plan to go back, and will not go without a car of my own.

If you have to leave something out to do that, I'd happily skip over Swakop. Mostly a backpacker town and a stopover for couples in cars going other places. However, the scenic flights from there look great to me, so if that is in your plans maybe keep Swakop.

Last edited by maverick17; Jun 1, 2015 at 10:25 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bear in mind that Namibia is a huge country. Although the road nework is excellent and the roads generally in good condition (you do not need a 4WD unless you plan on tackling the Van Zyl's pass or want to bounce around the Kaokoveld), you could easily end up spending far too much time on the road.

Rather pick a few spots to focus on and keep the driving to a minumum.

Personally I would skip Lüderitz and Aus. The former's best claim to fame is that they offer the world's only campsite located in what was once a German concentration camp. Some may enjoy pitching their tent where natives perished by the tens of thousands.

Johan
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Many threads on Namibia but my question probably fits here best:

Does the following schedule sound a bit OK, or is it too tight?

25.11 Arrival in WDH at 10:50 AM. Drive via B2 (fast route) to Swakopmund / Walvis Bay
26.11 Swakopmund / Walvis Bay
27.11 return to Windhoek via C28 (scenic route)
28.11 Flight to Lüderitz
29.11 Lüderitz
30.11 Returnflight to Windhoek
01.12 Returnflight homebound
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA
If you miss Sossusvlei, you are missing out. The roads are okay, but you need to budget 3 full days to get there, see it and return.

Here's how one could do it.

Day one...Leave WDH early AM. Arrive Sossusvlei around 4pm. Go out and see a dune or two outside the park.

Day two...Start out at dawn at Hill 45, then go to Deadvlei. See the Canyon on the way back to your camp/hotel.

Day three....Return to WDH
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
If you miss Sossusvlei, you are missing out. The roads are okay, but you need to budget 3 full days to get there, see it and return.
This is sage advice. We drove from Windhoek to the Sossusvlei area. It's a desolate drive, albeit easy enough. You need to be mindful that there are few gas stations and repair facilities. We then drove north to Walvis Bay and Swakopmund. I found this area rather boring and wouldn't have wanted to have driven from Windhoek just for this.

We dropped the car at Walvis Bay and flew on to Cape Town.

We are planning to return to Windhoek and drive north this year, spending about a week doing so. I hope some folks weigh in as to itineraries they liked between Windhoek and Etoasha.

As an aside, I really like the Hilton in Windhoek. It's a lovely hotel that treats guests well.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Thanks for the tips - I am inclined to drop Walvis Bay / Swakopmund from my itinerary and instead head on to Sossusvlei.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This is sage advice. We drove from Windhoek to the Sossusvlei area. It's a desolate drive, albeit easy enough. You need to be mindful that there are few gas stations and repair facilities. We then drove north to Walvis Bay and Swakopmund. I found this area rather boring and wouldn't have wanted to have driven from Windhoek just for this.

We dropped the car at Walvis Bay and flew on to Cape Town.

We are planning to return to Windhoek and drive north this year, spending about a week doing so. I hope some folks weigh in as to itineraries they liked between Windhoek and Etoasha.

As an aside, I really like the Hilton in Windhoek. It's a lovely hotel that treats guests well.
At a lower price point, I recommend the Hilltop Guest House. Stunning location, great staff, great breakfast.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Thanks for the tips - I am inclined to drop Walvis Bay / Swakopmund from my itinerary and instead head on to Sossusvlei.
Spent 10 days in Namibia... great country and beautiful scenery. Would not miss Sossusvlei and a early morning dune climb, even though I loved our stay at desert rhino camp even more.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:00 pm

If you don't wish to drive to Sossusvlei, Consider using a tour operator from WDH. We used a group called Wild Dog Safaris. It was easy enough and it wasn't expensive...we did the camping option, but they will put you in hotels if you'd like. Plenty of people drove it too, but the roads aren't paved and gas and repairs are pretty spartan out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.