Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Safari lodge payment advice

Old May 6, 14, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, onePass

At end stage of direct booking for 2015......sent CC Auth which also requires photos of front and back, CVC, MOTHERS MAIDEN and photos of detail page of PP.

Is this usual and customary?

I feel MMN is TMI along with PP ......at least right now understand need for PP for registration but 16 months ahead???

How do others handle this?
Old May 6, 14, 11:50 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by nalismom View Post
At end stage of direct booking for 2015......sent CC Auth which also requires photos of front and back, CVC, MOTHERS MAIDEN and photos of detail page of PP.

I feel MMN is TMI along with PP ......at least right now understand need for PP for registration but 16 months ahead???

A bit heavy on the acronyms, but AFAIK this is normal operating procedure. I've had the same things requested from lodges in India and Argentina.

And as for your mother's maiden name, who do they know that it is not Nixon?

If this is a reputable lodge, I would not be worried.

Cheers,
T.
Old May 6, 14, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Customary? Depends. Any lodge worth its salt will offer a secure online payment options. It is not exactly rocket science, I know mom & pop lodges that can do it. On the other hand, some very large operators seem incapable of embracing modernity, and stick to the archaic procedures you describe.

How to handle it? I adamantly refuse to send scans of the front and back. Sending such scans to the reservations department of a large and reputable SA hotel chain once resulted in several fraud attempts, which the CC issuer fortunately nipped in the bud. I now have it in writing from said issuer that I should never send scans to anybody, ever. They take a very dim view of that, and may pass on the bill if fraud results.

In the case of one particularly intransigent operator, I've cut a deal where I've provided the necessary scans to an employee who happens to be a personal friend of mine, so that they are in safe hands.

Johan
Old May 6, 14, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, onePass
These are upscale lodges that are well known and established and part of a larger network.....not mom and pop. They do have online booking engines however the engines are not loaded for dates 16 months ahead.

I questioned this with the lodges....their response was to send an ETF and that even if online booking was loaded and utilized they would still require the information. Seems a bit sketchy to me.

I've traveled a lot and have never been asked for this. I called my CC issuer and they advised against it.

I suppose I could find a TO I can make payment to and they can disburse the funds.
Old May 6, 14, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are upscale lodges that are well known and established and part of a larger network.....not mom and pop.
I know, it is weird. The mom & pop ones have no trouble offering secure online payment that works like a charm, whereas some of the big ones with 50+ lodges, 200 people working in reservations and God knows how many back-office staff are still stumbling about in the Middle Ages. It's nuts!

Johan
Old May 6, 14, 11:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

Sounds like a lot to me - I stayed in Sabi sands but booked via local Capetown travel agent that I paid by cc secure online tool none of that info needed for my one month itinerary
Old May 7, 14, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT Plat >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I would not send this much information without a secure online payment method. There is no reason that the mmn is needed for a cc transaction by a merchant. It is used to authenticate you when you call, but it is NEVER needed for a transaction. We recently paid a deposit for fall trip to Africa with an American operator. We signed the cc authorization forms with our signatures and no credit card information and scanned those. We then called in the credit card numbers so they were not sent over an non secure internet connection. Not only were there no issues, they were very accomodating, and said that many people will not scan the authorization forms with all the information filled in. Alternatively you can have a password protected pdf created which at least provides a minimum level of security.
Old May 13, 14, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AMEX Platinum Card
Nalismom - you could rebook it through one of about 30 US based Africa agents/tour operators. It would likely not cost you any extra and could even save you money if you are dealing with &Beyond or one of the other big chain lodges. That way, you can pay by CC to a US company with no foreign currency fees or unknown exchange rate variables.

Craig Beal
Old May 20, 14, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SafariCraig View Post
Nalismom - you could rebook it through one of about 30 US based Africa agents/tour operators. It would likely not cost you any extra and could even save you money if you are dealing with &Beyond or one of the other big chain lodges. That way, you can pay by CC to a US company with no foreign currency fees or unknown exchange rate variables.

Craig Beal
any operators you would recommend? Looking to go in the future but not sure who specializes in Africa.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: