Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kruger Park Hotel near JNB

Old Dec 15, 13, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH 1*SEN

I am looking for a (good) hotel inside Kruger Park, not too far from JNB. I have only 2 days time: I arrive in JNB, and want to go to that hotel inside Kruger, spend 1 night there, explore Kruger just for a few hours the next morning (a short drive, probably have a look at a lion or a hippo), and then head back to JNB. Unfortunately, thats all the time I have. But I do want to visit Kruger when I'm already in JNB. Can anybody give me an idea?
Old Dec 15, 13, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming you arrive JNB early morning, you can:

- catch a SAX flight to HDS (Hoedspruit Eastgate), followed by a transfer to your lodge. Kapama is literally across the road from the airport, you will be on a game drive from the minute you get in the vehicle.

- catch a FedAir flight to Skukuza, followed by a transfer to Rhino Post. You will be on a game drive from the minute you get in the vehicle.

FedAir also serves many other Lowveld lodges, and Madikwe is another option.

Note that most private lodges are not "inside" Kruger, they are mostly located on private land, which may or may not be adjacent to Kruger proper. Kapama is not inside Kruger, Rhino Post is. If you want to restrict yourself to lodges in Kruger itself, you are limited to Rhino Post and its walking trails sibling Plains Camp; Jock/Fitzpatrick's; Shishangeni/Shawu/Shonga; Lukimbi; Hoyo Hoyo/Hamilton's/Imbali; Tinga/Narina; Singita Lebombo/Sweni; and The Outpost. Tinga & Narina are also very close to Skukuza airport.

Johan
Old Dec 15, 13, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Assuming you arrive JNB early morning, you can:
- catch a SAX flight to HDS (Hoedspruit Eastgate), followed by a transfer to your lodge. Kapama is literally across the road from the airport, you will be on a game drive from the minute you get in the vehicle.
Thank you very much. I like that. And I guess I can trust SAX (not so sure about Fed Air )There is one problem: This flight already leaves at 10 in the morning, and my flight will arrive just at the same time
Is there a possibility to drive up there? I mean I arrive in JNB at 10, it is a 5 hours drive, so I could be up there at 3PM. For the way back, I can take the plane. Do you know if these lodges offer something like a limousine transfer from JNB?
I don't care so much if the lodge/hotel is inside the park or not. I just would like to visit the park once for a few hours. Very modest
Old Dec 16, 13, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience, FedAir is perfectly reliable. The have a sizeable fleet and serve most game lodges in South Africa, with lots of departures every day.

I don't know when you are traveling, but there should be two flights from JNB to HDS daily, the first at about 10h15, the other two hours later. Flight numbers are SA1225 and SA1227.

Johan
Old Dec 16, 13, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

there should be two flights from JNB to HDS daily, the first at about 10h15, the other two hours later. Flight numbers are SA1225 and SA1227. Johan
Yes, you are right. Thank you for that hint! I think I should get the 2nd one.
So Kapama it is
Old Dec 23, 13, 9:29 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

I hope I'm not making a mistake by self-driving to Kruger from JNB. My first night is open, second night in Kruger. Johan you make this all so easy to understand. Thanks for all your tips.
Old Dec 23, 13, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego View Post
I hope I'm not making a mistake by self-driving to Kruger from JNB.
I thought about that myself. But I think it is just too dangerous.
Old Dec 23, 13, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
I hope I'm not making a mistake by self-driving to Kruger from JNB.
There's no reason to think that is a mistake or too dangerous (as long as you aren't too tired
from your flights).
It's nearly all expressway.
Old Dec 23, 13, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyernick View Post
There's no reason to think that is a mistake or too dangerous (as long as you aren't too tired
from your flights).
It's nearly all expressway.
How long is the drive from JNB to HDS?
Old Dec 23, 13, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyernick View Post
There's no reason to think that is a mistake or too dangerous (as long as you aren't too tired from your flights). It's nearly all expressway.
I hope I'm not making a mistake by self-driving to Kruger from JNB. My first night is open, second night in Kruger. Johan you make this all so easy to understand. Thanks for all your tips.
As long as you don't drive during the hours of darkness and keep a wary eye open for motorized morons you should be fine.

Traffic on the R40 (Klaserie - Hoedspruit - Phalaborwa) can be quite heavy, with lots of trucks. Also, beware of corrupt cops picking on tourists in rentals. Do not under any circumstances pay any bribes. Apart from all the obvious reasons, there is a good chance they will issue a regular fine anyway, knowing that the rental company will not contest it, as they can simply charge your card.

Johan
Old Dec 23, 13, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

As long as you don't drive during the hours of darkness and keep a wary eye open for motorized morons you should be fine.

Traffic on the R40 (Klaserie - Hoedspruit - Phalaborwa) can be quite heavy, with lots of trucks. Also, beware of corrupt cops picking on tourists in rentals. Do not under any circumstances pay any bribes. Apart from all the obvious reasons, there is a good chance they will issue a regular fine anyway, knowing that the rental company will not contest it, as they can simply charge your card.

Johan
I don't like to read that... I mean corrupt police is something serious... so, you are clearly saying that it CAN be dangerous, especially during nighttime? Or let me ask like that: is it much more dangerous than for example the drive from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth?
Old Dec 23, 13, 10:37 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

I'm not worried about dangers per se. In fact, in never crossed my mind until I read the posts above.

I was thinking it might be too long. The tourist info talks about how slow and complicated the back routes are. I know that the speed limits in Kruger and other animal areas are slower than average.

But it seems like the main highways are pretty straightforward. Are they a couple of lanes in each direction or one lane each way? Do you drive on the right or left?
Old Dec 24, 13, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a time and distance point of view it is easily doable. I've done JNB - Crocodile Bridge (468 km) in 3h50m, at an average of 127 kph. That was out of necessity, and before the N4 became a toll road and freeway. Not recommended.

The back roads are by definition slower, but often far more scenic.

In South Africa you drive on the left, and you need to get used to the traffic.

The affluent minority drive luxury sedans and SUVs, and many of them seem to think that 160+ kph is the speed they are entitled to drive at, the rest be damned.

Then you get those who can barely afford a vehicle. They can certainly not afford to replace tires or maintain their cars, and usually drive at 60 - 80 kph, trying hard to stay on the road.

There is a lot of heavy traffic, with trucks and semis spanning the whole range from spanking new to wrecks with all the wheels pointing in different directions.

It is also pretty safe to assume that about half the drivers bought their driver's license at the local fish market, and DUI is endemic.

On top of all that, you get pedestrians, often in large numbers, walking along or crossing roads, including freeways. At night, many of these are drunk.

Add in the cattle and goats in rural areas, and you get the picture. Last year they had 1465 fatalities over Christmas (no doubt a significant undercount), it will be interesting to see whether they set a new record this year.

As long as you keep all this at the back of your mind and adjust your behavior accordingly, you should be fine.

Johan
Old Dec 24, 13, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Let me point out the highlights:

- 160+ kph is the speed they are entitled to drive at, the rest be damned.

- drive at 60 - 80 kph, trying hard to stay on the road.

- wheels pointing in different directions.

- half the drivers bought their driver's license at the local fish market

- many of these are drunk.

- 1465 fatalities over Christmas (no doubt a significant undercount)

- you should be fine.
Yes, I guess I'll be fine...

Yes, I WILL be fine, cos I'm gone take the plane!!!

Thx johan
Old Dec 24, 13, 10:02 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Add in the cattle and goats in rural areas, and you get the picture. Last year they had 1465 fatalities over Christmas (no doubt a significant undercount), it will be interesting to see whether they set a new record this year.

As long as you keep all this at the back of your mind and adjust your behavior accordingly, you should be fine.

Johan
Was that 1465 a tally of HUMANS? Or animals? Either way...Good grief!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: