Wiki Posts
Search

First time to LOS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
First time to LOS

Off to Lagos for the first time in a week or so. The internet seems still to have some fairly <ahem> interesting stories re. bribes, hassles etc. Can anyone give me some advice on what the airport is like these days?

Many thanks,

BC
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by BlackCat
Off to Lagos for the first time in a week or so. The internet seems still to have some fairly <ahem> interesting stories re. bribes, hassles etc. Can anyone give me some advice on what the airport is like these days?
Sure, I was there for the first time two weeks ago.

Your experience will depend very much on who you know. That said:

Immigration: Expect long confusing queues, with agents unmotivated to move very quickly. No problems, however.

Check-In: Chaos, but functional

Security: Slow and disorganized, I was asked to help the screener "have a happy weekend" and told him "It's Monday, WAY too early to be thinking about the weekend" and walked on

Gates: Nothing special

All in all, I was rather disappointed it didn't even come close to the horror stories I'd heard. However, there was a couple flying JNB-LOS-IAH on an award on my flight, disabled to boot, and they were acting like the world had ended during their transit.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Thanks. Hopeful that my client (large Nigerian bank) will lubricate matters. Happy to hear of any other experiences!

BC
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I will be visiting Lagos for the first time from tomorrow. I'll be there for three days. The company that I will visit is arranging transportation and accommodation during my stay, and so far I'm impressed with the level of care they've taken.

I believe I'll be spending the whole time on Victoria Island. With regard to personal safety - Should I just stay within the confines of my client's office and my hotel and travel only in the car provided by my client? Do I risk being mugged if I step outside to look around? Apparently, a driver has been assigned to me and my colleague for the duration of our stay. Not sure how that will work, but ...

I have read some threads where people advise to check luggage and have nothing to carry on. I assume that's to avoid being shaken down for a bribe by security or something .. but it goes against my every instinct. My normal approach is to fly with hand luggage only. Is this a bad idea?

Also grateful for any other tips and up-to-date info.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jib71
I have read some threads where people advise to check luggage and have nothing to carry on. I assume that's to avoid being shaken down for a bribe by security or something .. but it goes against my every instinct.
I did all carry-on and had no problems at all. This was a big laptop bag, and a 24" slightly-too-big-for-the-new-united rolling bag.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by BlackCat
Thanks. Hopeful that my client (large Nigerian bank) will lubricate matters. Happy to hear of any other experiences!

BC
My experience last month was quite pleasant. From the plane to my driver was less than 30 minutes (no checked luggage). Departure was smooth . Hoping to "lubricate matters"at the airport is tantamount to encouraging bribery .
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Reporting back on my experience -

LOS was fine. Entering the country was straightforward. I didn't experience the crushing crowds that people have reported in the past. Leaving the country, I took hand luggage only. My colleague with a checked bag had to go through a process to have it inspected, weighed and then checked in. The process seemed a bit confusing. Other than that, all went smoothly and the uniformed staff were courteous and helpful. People told me that this improvement is quite recent. There were some guys in the departure area, who were helping people in return for tips. My colleague told me that they were freelancers. If the airport improves any more, they may find that they're redundant.

Transport from LOS had been arranged by my hosts. I was a little surprised to see that we would be accompanied by an armed policeman - and I saw vehicles with much heavier security (motorcade style) on the road into Lagos. In the city I mostly stuck to a routine of hotel-office-hotel-office. I did make one trip with my hosts to look around a suburban market / strip-mall. That was fun and informative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.