Reload this Page >

Mozambique Visa Question

Mozambique Visa Question

Old Aug 15, 13, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA exp, UA 1p, DL gold, HH diamond
Mozambique Visa Question

Hi All,

I am flying to Vilankulo (VNX) airport from JNB this coming November. It reads on Mozambique's state website that you can purchase visa's at points of entry into the country if you are a US citizen. Can anyone confirm that is the case? If so, can you pay in dollars (cash)? I'm flying LAM if that makes any difference. Thanks for your input.

Here's the website I'm going off of: http://www.embamoc-usa.org/index.php...ject&Itemid=64
Old Aug 17, 13, 1:39 pm

According to TIMATIC, VOA is only available at MPM

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.3/Diamond - TIMATIC: Expert Mode: TIDFT/MZ/VI/IS/ID23549]
Code:
[Visa Information] Mozambique (MZ)

Visa Issuance:
- Nationals of all countries can obtain a visa on arrival for
  a max. stay of 30 days at Maputo (MPM) (extension of a
  further 30 days is possible), provided  holding an
  onward/return ticket [[TIRULES/R38]] and proof of purpose of
  visit:
  - if traveling as tourist: a hotel reservation;
  - if traveling for business or duty: an invitation letter.
  Fee: USD 66.-.

CHECK [[TINEWS/N1]] - CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.): 72-HOUR VISA-FREE
TRANSIT AT GUANGZHOU

17 Aug 2013 / 20:36 [UTC]
Old Aug 19, 13, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by rdl27 View Post
Hi All,

I am flying to Vilankulo (VNX) airport from JNB this coming November. It reads on Mozambique's state website that you can purchase visa's at points of entry into the country if you are a US citizen. Can anyone confirm that is the case? If so, can you pay in dollars (cash)? I'm flying LAM if that makes any difference. Thanks for your input.

Here's the website I'm going off of: http://www.embamoc-usa.org/index.php...ject&Itemid=64
I am US citizen living in Maputo. Things have recently changed regarding visas. It's difficult to find accurate official information, but the current situation is that it is generally NOT possible to get a visa on arrival at the airport in Maputo. The only exceptions are visitors from countries that do not have a Mozambican embassy or anyone traveling as an "emergency". Apparently, it is still possible to get a visa at land border crossings, but this could be a big hassle. I do not know the situation at Vilankulos, but I imagine that it's probably the same as Maputo. My recommendation is to get a visa before you arrive.

Good luck and safe travels,
Ben
Old Aug 19, 13, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by rdl27 View Post
Hi All,
Also, maybe I'm missing something, but the Mozambican Embassy website you linked to pretty clearly says that US citizens DO need a visa....
Old Aug 19, 13, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA exp, UA 1p, DL gold, HH diamond
Thanks everyone for your input, I'll plan on getting my visa in advance.

And gerdemb, you're right, I must not have linked the proper page that said visa's were available at points of entry for US citizens - I'm sure I read it somewhere, unsure where now.
Old Sep 9, 13, 4:55 am

Programs: BA; SAA
rdl27

I travel a lot by land from Zim into Moz, and visa's are freely available at the land border crossings, at a cost of $76.00, which is clearly marked at the border post. I know people who have flown into Beira with no problems. As a guideline though this is a single entry 30 day visa, where you can get a multiple entry 6 month visa prior to arrival.

Vilanculos is a large tourist area for Moz, and the perception of tourists has changed over the years, from slightly distrustful and officious, to pleasantly welcoming and helpful.

Hope this sort of helps.
Old Sep 11, 13, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by zimmurungu View Post
rdl27

I travel a lot by land from Zim into Moz, and visa's are freely available at the land border crossings, at a cost of $76.00, which is clearly marked at the border post. I know people who have flown into Beira with no problems. As a guideline though this is a single entry 30 day visa, where you can get a multiple entry 6 month visa prior to arrival.
When did your friend fly to Beira? They visa situation in Maputo changed a few months ago...

Cheers,
Ben
Old Dec 9, 13, 2:44 am
Suspended

You can definitely get a visa upon arrival in Mozambique as long as:
1- You can prove you are a tourist (accom bookings, onward flights etc.)
2- You are not from countries that Mozambique deem as problematic. This list is not official but includes: Portugal, Most West Asian countries, essentially every African country that is not part of SADC.
Old Dec 10, 13, 2:10 am
Suspended

Kenya passport holders can get a tourist visa on arrival with proof of a hotel booking. Kenya is not an SADC member.
Old Jan 20, 15, 1:27 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

It appears that the single entry visa for American citizens for 30 days is now $160.00; and it must be obtained in advance.

That is rather expensive...
Old Jan 21, 15, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, WN A-List Pref & CP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott (LT) Plat, Hertz PC
To an additional point of reference, although now dated: In December 2014, the woman next to me on the plane was able to obtain a visa upon arrival in Inhambane from South Africa. I was surprised she was even allowed to board.
Old Jan 21, 15, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Duke777 View Post
To an additional point of reference, although now dated: In December 2014, the woman next to me on the plane was able to obtain a visa upon arrival in Inhambane from South Africa. I was surprised she was even allowed to board.
There's no problem with getting visas on arrival and Mozambique does not find airlines if their passengers have to be turned away.

The cost of visas for non-SADC citizens is high but it really is just a tourist tax which generates badly needed revenue.
Old Jan 21, 15, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
There's no problem with getting visas on arrival and Mozambique does not find airlines if their passengers have to be turned away.

The cost of visas for non-SADC citizens is high but it really is just a tourist tax which generates badly needed revenue.
I plan on arriving by car from Swaziland, however.

I called Consular Services of the Embassy of Mozambique in Washington, D.C. earlier today; and the person on the telephone confirmed to me that a visa must be paid in advance: $160.00 — even if only for a day or two.

Although I am trying to ascertain whether or not $160.00 is worth visiting Mozambique, I would prefer to pay for it at the border crossing rather than mailing the payment in, as the embassy only accepts cash or money orders only.
Old Jan 21, 15, 3:39 pm

https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/t...buser=EMIRATES
Old Mar 3, 15, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie View Post
I plan on arriving by car from Swaziland, however.

I called Consular Services of the Embassy of Mozambique in Washington, D.C. earlier today; and the person on the telephone confirmed to me that a visa must be paid in advance: $160.00 — even if only for a day or two.

Although I am trying to ascertain whether or not $160.00 is worth visiting Mozambique, I would prefer to pay for it at the border crossing rather than mailing the payment in, as the embassy only accepts cash or money orders only.
I am in Maputo right now.

I had absolutely no problem obtaining a visa at the border. In fact, everyone was quite helpful; but the process did take about an hour due to an issue over the registration of the rental car — which was not a problem for me after all. The cost for the visa was $82.00 in cash. Ensure that you have newer notes, as they would not accept a dollar bill from 1999. I brought passport photographs with me just in case; but they took my photograph.

Third-party insurance is compulsory if you drive into Mozambique through a border crossing, as I did from Swaziland. The cost is 150 South African rand.

I had a Plan B just in case I was unsuccessful; but again, I had no problems at all.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: