Wiki Posts
Search

One day at JNB: What to do?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.

I will be on a MR at JNB on May 13 for about 12 hrs. Is there anything worth seeing downtown? I can rent a car for a day if the public transportation not efficient or reliable. Or should I just stick to a *A lounge at the airport? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old May 9, 2013, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did an MR here back in January. The Gautrain is quick, clean, and efficient from the airport. I wouldn't recommend getting a car. Once downtown, I took the City Sightseeing tour bus -- http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/joburg.php. The Apartheid museum was fairly well done and interesting. There's an amusement park next door, but it was closed the day I did the tour. James Hall transport museum was mildly amusing. Constitution Hill was interesting, but a bit spooky (I was pretty much the only person there at the time). Also did the SA Brewing tour which was pretty elaborate, but might be boring if you are not into the history of beer. Also somewhat weird as I was the only one on the tour. Overall, downtown Jo'burg is kind of sad and depressing. I stayed at a hotel in Sandton for a couple days which is considerably more upscale and has a large mall if you are into that.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While I appreciate OP is on a MR as this is a destination specific query about sights in and around JNB I'll move it over to the Africa forum for further input.

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old May 10, 2013, 1:03 am
Ambassador

Taking the Gautrain down to Sandton is easy enough. There's a large mall and lots of restaurants.

If I had just one day I would probably head up to the Cradle of Humankind and the game reserve there. It's about an hour or so from the airport.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:03 am

We had a 12 hour layover at JNB a few weeks ago... rented a car and drove up to the "Lion Park"..... Filled much of the time in nicely in a relaxed/low key fashion...
Old May 10, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I booked a private tour w/Chris of Cashan tours found on tripadvisor for the day. As it was Monday the museums were closed but felt my 9am-5pm tour of JNB well worth it - he picked me up at airport hotel and I told him to make the itinerary up as I was at the end of a one month visit to Botswana, safari, Capetown - great way to see the city
Old May 14, 2013, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH.
Originally Posted by trooper
We had a 12 hour layover at JNB a few weeks ago... rented a car and drove up to the "Lion Park"..... Filled much of the time in nicely in a relaxed/low key fashion...
On my way back from JNB. The Lion Park was the winner. Rented a cheap car, drove to Lion Park and petted cubs. Great fun! Stopped at the mall on the way back and got some Rooibos tea for the Mrs.

Thanks to all for great suggestions!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, *A Plat
Originally Posted by buzz4fly
On my way back from JNB. The Lion Park was the winner. Rented a cheap car, drove to Lion Park and petted cubs. Great fun! Stopped at the mall on the way back and got some Rooibos tea for the Mrs.

Thanks to all for great suggestions!
Just saw this post and glad you had a good time. I would have recommended getting a car and visiting the Lion Park and the Crocodile Park (even cooler) -- I usually don't do touristy things when I travel (for business) but I sometimes stop by these two if I have some extra time before heading to the airport. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.