Wiki Posts
Search

Critique my South African Honeymoon!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold
Critique my South African Honeymoon!

I am in the process of finalizing my honeymoon plans and I would love to get some outside opinions:

First, I would spend 3 nights in Cape Town
I have narrowed down the choices to
1) Grace Cape
2) Ellerman House
3) 12 Apostles

Then I would spend 1 night in Stellenbosch. (I still need to pick a place)

Then I would do 4 nights on Safari at either
1) Singita - Lebombo
2) Singita - Sweni
3) MalaMala - Rattray's

Finally, I would do 4 nights on a beach somewhere and I have a choice of either
1) Azura Quiniela in Mozambique
2) Four Seasons in Mauritius
3) Maradiva in Mauritius
4) You Tell Me!

What do you all think? Where would you stay if given these choices? Are there other choices that I've not considered?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

I like the Cape Grace, but the other two are much more congruent with a honeymoon vibe. Ellerman House is a class act, and is a bit better located if you're planning any excursions.

One night in Stellenbosch: Delaire Graff. It's actually at the top of the Helshoogte Pass, which runs between Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, but it's an easy drive down the hill to Stellenbosch, and no particular reason to be right in town.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I just got back from South Africa including Cape Town. We stayed at the Westin and walked by Grace Cape. Looked nice and being by the waterfront is a good location. But if I were there on a Honeymoon I think I would want to be right in Camps Bay. The Bay Hotel was the only hotel I saw right on the beach. We drove by 12 Apostles on the road back from Hout Bay and it looked nice, but off by itself and a little farther from the things you will want to do in Cape Town.

I did not see Ellerman House, but I have yet to be let down by any Relais & Chateaux affiliated property. Their location would work too.

We stayed at Asara Wine Resort in Stellenbosch and it was nice. But for your Honeymoon I think you can find more romantic places like Delaire Graff mentioned above.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jan 26, 2013 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I appreciate the words of advice. I am hoping to square away all the accomodations tomorrow.

Do you have any opinions for the end of the trip? "Plop Down on a Beach" suggestions? Right now I am torn between a Mozambique resort or a Mauritius resort. Maybe there is something I have yet to consider. I tried looking into Seychelles, but the flights don't work.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:57 am
Ambassador

What time of year are you going?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

First 2 Weeks in May
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
The 12 Apostles for me is a winner. We have stayed here 3 times, and the rooms, service, breakfasts, etc., are all very good. They will serve room service breakfast for free. The spa is excellent, great bar and views to die for. They do it all very well. There is also a free shuttle to Camps Bay.

I would not go to Stellenbosh for just one night. Try Constanisa.

Constansia is not too far from 12 Apostles. You could do a day trip there from Cape Town. We had the concierge from 12A arrange lunch reservations for us at La Colombe with a car. The driver took us to 2 wineries first, and had loads to talk about on the drive there. Left us for lunch and picked us up 3 hours later for the drive back to 12A.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Boris,

I like the general idea of this trip but I do have a few tweaks and suggestions. First of all, I suggest you rearrange the itinerary so that you go on safari first. I make this suggestion for two reasons. It is easier to overcome jetlag on safari vs. in Cape Town as a safari is quite regimented. That is minor compared to the second reason. You can avoid an unnecessary overnight in Johannesburg in-between your safari and the beach if you go to Cape Town in the middle. There is no longer a direct flight from Nelspruit to Vilanculos so the only way to get to Vilanculos, Pemba (for Aura Quilalea) or to Mauritius if you are on safari is to fly back to Jo’burg and overnight OR charter a private plane to leave the safari in the early morning missing your last game drive.

Why are you not considering one of the Singita properties in the Sabi Sands? Both Lebombo and Sweni are awesome but they are on a private concession inside the Kruger National Park vs. on private land in the Sabi Sands. They do not have a permanent river flowing through the property. With the Sand River flowing directly through the middle of Singita Ebony or Boulders (both in the Sabi Sands) this area will, in my opinion, offer the best animal viewing in South Africa only rivaled by MalaMala. Also, it does not seem you have price sensitivity, but Singita Ebony has the Lewis Suites which are much less expensive compared to Singita Ebony and Boulders and almost the same price as Rattrays. The Lewis Suites are sort of a marketing gimmick to allow Singita to sell two units at a lower price and until 2012 these two suites sold for the same price as the rest of the suites at Ebony. With the exchange rate being near a one year low this morning Singita is almost affordable…

Rattrays is nice and in my opinion and experience it will offer the best general big five animal viewing in Southern Africa. I do tend to use it a little more for milestone trips and couples traveling together vs. honeymoons.

All three properties you mentioned in Cape Town are fine. I think for a honeymoon, Ellerman House may have the edge. It is ultra-private with butler service et al. I would also suggest a one bedroom suite at the Cape Grace if your DO not rearrange your itinerary. If you are in Cape Town on the first part of your trip you might appreciate a bedroom separate from the living room in case someone can’t sleep then they can go in the living room. You will need to be sure and make all your dinner reservations ahead of time and the choice of restaurants in Cape Town is overwhelming. If you go to Cape Grace AND you only have four nights to spend in the Western Cape then I suggest you stay four nights as the property has stay4pay3 rates for all of 2013. I am sure your agent brought this to your attention.

I DO NOT recommend Stellenbosch for a honeymoon. If you do want to forgo stay4pay3 at Cape Grace or add another day to your plan then I suggest going to Franschhoeck and checking out La Quartier Francais or La Residence instead. Stellenbosch is a college town (I have cousins in University there) and it is quite busy for a honeymoon. If you do go to Cape Town first then I would go to the wine country last so you are not wine touring with jet lag.

Two places you did not consider for the beach are Azura Benguerra and Vamizi Island. Azura Benguerra is closer to South Africa than Azura Quilalea. These are the two places I use most for Mozambique Honeymoons. I book very little Mauritius. It is too hectic there.

Try this:

Day 1 Depart JFK.
Day 2-5 Land Jo’burg at 8am and fly at 11am to Singita Lewis Suites at Ebony for four nights.
Day 6 La Residence
Day 7-10 Cape Grace stay4pay3
Day 11-14 Early morning fly to JNB then to Vilanculos or Pemba for Azura (either one) (add one day using stay5pay4).
Day 15 Fly home via jo’burg.

How to book: Be sure to check the exchange rate used when you book this. With the exception of Rattrays every property in South Africa discussed above is priced in Rand. If you book direct with the lodges make sure they give you the exchange rate first or be sure VISA/AMEX gives you the rate. We were buying rand this morning at .1120 $/Rand. AMEX and VISA were using about .1150 to exchange on the credit card. If you book direct or with an operator that charges in Rand be sure to know the rate first. It is best to get quoted in Rand so you can compare the price to the internet pricing but then have the operator charge your card in dollars to avoid the credit card companies profit on the exchange rate.

I hope all this helps.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
2011/2012 Travel & Leisure A-List agent for Botswana and Zimbabwe
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks a ton for all of this info!

I considered doing the safari first for that very reason. However I need to overnight in JBurg no matter what, since the arrival in Johannesburg is at 5pm in the evening and the shuttle flights are long since gone by then. Plus i'd then lose out on an afternoon drive (think of how jetlagged I'd be on that.)

Second, I was looking at Singita Lebombo because they were offering stay 4 pay 3. Ebony/Boulder didn't seem to be offering those promotions.

I have not looked into the other Azura properties, the one selected was chosen by my travel agent. I will ask about the other recommendations, although I fear I am driving him absolutely crazy.

What should something like this run per person? I want to make sure I'm not being taken for a ride.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:25 pm
Ambassador

May is getting into the dry season in Mozambique with lower humidity and more pleasant temperatures.

The closest I've been to Mauritius in May is late April. One time the weather was very nice - warm and sunny with a few storms. The other time there was more rain and cloud and it was generally less pleasant.

I'd probably go with Mozambique.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Honeymoon is Booked

Honeymoon is now confirmed. Thanks everyone for your help!

Arrive in Cape Town
3 Nights at Ellerman House
1 Night in Fransschoek at Le Quartier Francais

Depart Cape Town for Safari
4 Nights at Singita Lebombo

Depart Cape Town for JBurg
1 Overnight in Johannesburg to set up for flights

Depart JBurg for Pemba
4 Nights at Azura Quineliea in Mozambique

Return Home!
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Hi Boris,

That is a darn good trip. Sorry I did not answer your question earlier. I just logged onto FT for the first time since my post the other night.

Craig
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Looks great Boris. Will you come back and let us know how it went, what the properties were like, etc.?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Looks great Boris. Will you come back and let us know how it went, what the properties were like, etc.?
Absolutely! Expect great feedback and lots of photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.