Search

Dar es Salaam and Stonetown

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Dar es Salaam and Stonetown

There's nothing much recent on Tanzania that doesn't relate to safaris and yellow fever. I'm not interested in the former, and I've got an up to date YF certificate.

I'm going to Zanzibar for four days, stopping off for two nights in DAR on my way out. I've no idea if DAR is worth the stop-over.

I've spent a lot of time in a number West African capitals, and some of those I'd advise visitors to spend time: in the case of others I'd say "move on". Where does DAR fit?

And if you are positive about the city, any recommendations about restaurants/sights to see, that would be a bonus.

Thanks, IAN
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I spend a day in Zanzibar at the end of a month long trip to East Africa.

To be honest, it was OK but not amazing. A lot of buildings weren't in great shape. It was still interesting, and you should go, but I thought Stone Town can easily be done in a half-day, certainly a day.

I did not investigate Pemba or the other parts of Zanzibar, that may be worth looking into.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Zanzibar is one of my favorite places on the planet. I can spend hours wandering around the Stone Town.

Dar is worth about a half day or so. You might also want to note that it hasn't been the capital since 1996. All of the government functions moved to Dodoma.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mhnadel
You might also want to note that it hasn't been the capital since 1996. All of the government functions moved to Dodoma.
Yes, I was aware Dodoma is the Yamoussoukro of Tanzania Blessedly the ministry I need to drop by is firmly in Dar es Salaam, otherwise I think we'd have flown directly into Zanzibar.

Apart from that brief duty call, it doesn't sound as though there is much reason to stay in the city.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Apart from that brief duty call, it doesn't sound as though there is much reason to stay in the city.
If you know what you're doing, a day or two in DAR would be fine. Otherwise, no.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mhnadel
All of the government functions moved to Dodoma.
Parliament moved. But most of the other functions have not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.