Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Mauritius safety concerns. No warnings on tripadvisor.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: qantas , golden circle

I have the option of flying air Mauritius between Australia and London with a stopover in each direction and a side trip to cape town.
I'm concerned about safety there as I've read about the murder of the Irish honeymooner there - I know that can happen anywhere but what I'm concerned about is that the 2 who were accused have been found innocent even though it looks like they did it from my understanding. And to make matters worse a local newspaper has shown photos of her body.
I was going to ask a question on tripadvisor but they were shutting down all the threads about it yesterday - talk about burying their heads in the sand! It makes me worried about what else may be hidden from us.
My problem is that I'll be traveling on my own - will I be safe. Obviously I'd stay around the hotel at night and keep all my valuables in the safe but I don't want to be frightened in my room on my own.
I really want to do it as I'd like a couple of days on cape town to meet up with an old school friend I haven't seen for nearly 11 years.
Oh and has anyone flown air Mauritius - I normally fly either BA or qantas.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:21 pm
Ambassador

It has never occurred to me to be worried about my safety in Mauritius (except perhaps in a taxi ). I would just take normal precautions if I were you. You can probably find a bad story for most destinations.

Are you looking at staying in a resort hotel?

I don't know what Air Mauritius is like now but when I last flew long haul with them in 2004 they had noticeably more generous seat pitch than BA.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I'd say the chance of being targeted as a tourist in Mauritius are lower now than ever.

Would this stop you using Heathrow, or visiting London? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-heathrow.html

Enjoy Mauritius.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
I'd say the chance of being targeted as a tourist in Mauritius are lower now than ever.

Would this stop you using Heathrow, or visiting London? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-heathrow.html

Enjoy Mauritius.
Agreed.
Mauritian people are friendly and it's a reasonably interesting island to explore as well as being perfectly safe provided the usual precautions are taken.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:22 pm

I have visited Mauritius multiple times and have never felt unsafe anywhere on the island (whether in urban areas, at beaches or out in the countryside). It's very sad about the Irish honeymooner, but I think that's a very rare and isolated incident.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Jul 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.