Wiki Posts
Search

1 Week in JNB, What to see/do? Safari?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldiswide
insight into how and why borders came into being
Have you read How the States Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein? US states, not African, by interesting nevertheless. I keep a copy in the bathroom, as the chapters are suitably short.

if you have resding suggestions I'm all ears.
Oh boy, where shall I start?

- With Alan Paton, of course. Cry, the Beloved Country is a classic, and for good reason.

- Classics by other SA authors : The Conservationist (Nadine Gordimer); The Story of an African Farm (Olive Schreiner); Circles in a Forest, The Day the Swallows Spoke, Toorbos and Fiela's Child (Dalene Mathee. Afrikaans readers will no doubt prefer them in that language).

- Then you have Doris Lessing and Breyten Breytenbach. The best apartheid (prison) literature includes his The True Confessions of an Albino Terrorist and A Season in Paradise. Other excellent books in this field are Bandiet: Seven Years in a South African Prison by Hugh Levin (a shocking and gripping story); Inside by Jeremy Cronin (if you are into poetry) and Longlive! by Menán du Plessis (fiction). Less well known, but remarkable and well worth reading is Brief Authority by Charles Hooper.

-J.M. Coetzee can be a bit too much on the intellectual side for my taste, but Boyhood is a short and very accessible autobiographical account of childhood in Apartheid SA.

-In the (military) history field the choice is endless. On the Zulus I recommend The Anatomy of the Zulu Army (Ian Knight); The Washing of the Spears (Morris) and Ropes of Sand (Laband). On the Boer War: The Boer War (Thomas Pakenham) and the best autobiography by far to come out of that conflict, Commando by Deneys Reitz. On the Border War: Eden's Exiles: One Soldier's Fight for Paradise, and The Buffalo Soldiers, both by Jan Breytenbach (amazingly, colonel Breytenbach is the brother of Breyten Breytenbach, the staunch Apartheid opponent); 19 with a Bullet - A South African Paratrooper in Angola (Granger Korff). General SA history: The Afrikaners by Hermann Gioliomee (if you want to understand South Africa, this is the one book you must read. Take it from me.); Rhodes, the Race for Africa by Anthony Thomas; The Scramble for Africa (Pakenham again)

-If you cast your net a bit wider in time, distance and scope, there is the biography Storyteller -The Many Lives of Laurens van der Post, by J.D.F Jones, not to mention all the books Van der Post himself wrote. He was a bit of a fraud, though. There are lots of books about travel in the (pre)colonial days, e.g. A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa (Selous) and Travels in Southern Africa (Delegorgue), as well as more recent ones by well-known authors such as Waugh (Remote People) and Greene (Journey Without Maps) and almost unknown ones, e.g. Henno Martin (The Sheltering Desert), a book I warmly recommend.

Should you be going to the Kruger NP, then African Eden - the Kruger National Park 1902-1946 (Stevenson-Hamilton) and The Kruger National Park: a Social and Political History (Jane Carruthers) are the titles I would suggest.

There, these books should keep you busy for a while! When you are done, I can think of quite a few more.

Johan
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:09 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Wirelessly posted (Android: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.3; GT-I9100 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.133 Mobile Safari/535.19)

If I was to rent a car and drive to the camps I mentioned do I need to rent a SUV or will a regular car be enough? And how is driving on the left?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jason8612
[SIZE=1]If I was to rent a car and drive to the camps I mentioned do I need to rent a SUV or will a regular car be enough? And how is driving on the left?
To Kapama or Shindzela?

Any old car will do.

Kapama is a cinch, tar all the way.

To Shindzela, you drive up Argyle Road past HDS airport, over the Klaserie River and throught the control gate. You continue straight past Royal Legends (on your right) and Gomo Gomo (on your left), then turn right at the sign onto the cutline (boundary road between two farms). Argyle Road is tar, from the turn-off it is gravel. It is quite a long drive on the gravel, you go straigth for quite a distance, turn left, straight for a long distance again, turn right, drive past Ngala and turn right into Johnniesdale. In the rainy season (the austral summer), it could get tricky if you are driving a small car, a bit of clearance will make things easier.

Johan
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Have you read How the States Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein? US states, not African, by interesting nevertheless. I keep a copy in the bathroom, as the chapters are suitably short.

- With Alan Paton, of course. Cry, the Beloved Country is a classic, and for good reason.

- Classics by other SA authors : The Conservationist (Nadine Gordimer); The Story of an African Farm (Olive Schreiner); Circles in a Forest, The Day the Swallows Spoke, Toorbos and Fiela's Child (Dalene Mathee. Afrikaans readers will no doubt prefer them in that language).

- Then you have Doris Lessing and Breyten Breytenbach. The best apartheid (prison) literature includes his The True Confessions of an Albino Terrorist and A Season in Paradise. Other excellent books in this field are Bandiet: Seven Years in a South African Prison by Hugh Levin (a shocking and gripping story); Inside by Jeremy Cronin (if you are into poetry) and Longlive! by Menán du Plessis (fiction). Less well known, but remarkable and well worth reading is Brief Authority by Charles Hooper.

-J.M. Coetzee can be a bit too much on the intellectual side for my taste, but Boyhood is a short and very accessible autobiographical account of childhood in Apartheid SA.

-In the (military) history field the choice is endless. On the Zulus I recommend The Anatomy of the Zulu Army (Ian Knight); The Washing of the Spears (Morris) and Ropes of Sand (Laband). On the Boer War: The Boer War (Thomas Pakenham) and the best autobiography by far to come out of that conflict, Commando by Deneys Reitz. On the Border War: Eden's Exiles: One Soldier's Fight for Paradise, and The Buffalo Soldiers, both by Jan Breytenbach (amazingly, colonel Breytenbach is the brother of Breyten Breytenbach, the staunch Apartheid opponent); 19 with a Bullet - A South African Paratrooper in Angola (Granger Korff). General SA history: The Afrikaners by Hermann Gioliomee (if you want to understand South Africa, this is the one book you must read. Take it from me.); Rhodes, the Race for Africa by Anthony Thomas; The Scramble for Africa (Pakenham again)

-If you cast your net a bit wider in time, distance and scope, there is the biography Storyteller -The Many Lives of Laurens van der Post, by J.D.F Jones, not to mention all the books Van der Post himself wrote. He was a bit of a fraud, though. There are lots of books about travel in the (pre)colonial days, e.g. A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa (Selous) and Travels in Southern Africa (Delegorgue), as well as more recent ones by well-known authors such as Waugh (Remote People) and Greene (Journey Without Maps) and almost unknown ones, e.g. Henno Martin (The Sheltering Desert), a book I warmly recommend.

Should you be going to the Kruger NP, then African Eden - the Kruger National Park 1902-1946 (Stevenson-Hamilton) and The Kruger National Park: a Social and Political History (Jane Carruthers) are the titles I would suggest.

There, these books should keep you busy for a while! When you are done, I can think of quite a few more.

Johan
Thanks so much for the reading list. It is most appreciated. I don't think I'll be able to read all but I'm glad I have a few months time before we leave to start this great list and be a little more educated.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by BA304
If you're interested in battlefields, South Africa sadly has quite a few.

unfortunately everywhere does. And traveling is a mix of nature and beauty and the history of man which isn't always so pretty.

Can you provide more comments on the cradle of humankind. Worth visiting?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:32 am

That is not true for all of the country, though. SA has pretty distinct climate zones.

Johan
True altough I had no problems in the places I visited(Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo, Freestate, Northern Cape and Western Cape).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:34 am

Any old car will do.
Indeed, but lock your doors at all time while driving. Driving at the left is not really a problem if you keep going with the "flow", you'll get used to it after 2 days.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxJ91
Indeed, but lock your doors at all time while driving. Driving at the left is not really a problem if you keep going with the "flow", you'll get used to it after 2 days.
Sound advice, but most rental cars in SA nowadays have doors that automatically lock once the vehicle gets moving.

Anybody flying into HDS and driving to a lodge from there need not really worry about safety. The airport is beyond the first control gate, so in a restricted area where there is not much crime by SA standards, and traffic is light.

Johan
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:52 pm

Johan
Its been a few months and Ive been reading away and just wanted to thank you again for providing this reading list. Ive read The Afrikaaners, Scramble for Africa, Boers, Gold and War and Lessing, Paton, Gordimer... I also found a fulbright scholar mongane serote book and Ive got coetzee in reserve . Ive found some music in the library from a series called next step soweto as well. Its interesting to read the English versions vs Gioliomee frame of reference. Like all histories, there is no one easy explication for where we are right now, and why and what makes humans act they way they do and how far they will go to preserve the status quo or in pursuit of the all mighty dollar (or rand).

Everyone prepares differently for their experiences, but this helps set the stage for me even as there has been so much change in the near past.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entirely my pleasure.

I've just read A Just Defiance by Peter Harris and Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfullness by Alexandra Fuller. Both non-fiction, but very different books. The latter is mostly about Kenya and Rhodesia, not South Africa, but it is very funny.

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Entirely my pleasure.

I've just read A Just Defiance by Peter Harris and Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfullness by Alexandra Fuller. Both non-fiction, but very different books. The latter is mostly about Kenya and Rhodesia, not South Africa, but it is very funny.

Johan
I'd highly recommend "Playing the Enemy," the book on which the (somewhat mediocre) Invictus movie is based on. The book offers excellent insight into Nelson Mandela's life, apartheid, how South Africa avoided civil war, and the structure of S. African society. A really good read.

I'm still trying to finish another great book, My Traitor's Heart, which provides even further insight into race issues in South Africa and is a good follow up if you like Playing the Enemy.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:19 am

My Traitor's Heart is very good; raw and honest. If you like that book, you may enjoy Malan's new book, 'Resident Alien', which is a collection of some of his more recent writings.

Another fiction suggestion is Zakes Mda's 'Heart of Redness'. JM Coetzee's 'Disgrace' is very good, but maybe read it after you've got back; it's pretty grim.

Not South Africa-specific, but two other books I've really enjoyed: Ryszard Kapuscinski's 'The Shadow of the Sun', and John Reader's 'Africa: A Biography of the Continent'
Old Sep 14, 2012, 8:28 pm

Just when I thought the unread pile was getting a llittle smaller, thanks to all those who added their suggestions for great reads... always open to suggestions and great reads to expand the mind. I am more of a non fiction reader so those are really appreciated. I actually enjoyed Invictus but Ive yet to see a movie that was better than the book so "playing with the enemy" is definitely high on the list. Cant wait until late November and I get my feet on the ground!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:53 pm

Entirely my pleasure.

Johan
Johan, thudandblunder and iaphx

I know I am a broken record, but great suggestions and thank you. After the large history tomes I finished, it was a pleasure to read two alexandra fuller books, the one you suggested about her mother, and the other about her growing up,. Lots of overlap in subject matter, but funny and poignant.

A Traitor's Heart was real moving. Could not put it down and read it in two days and went on the internet to see if there was any more information on the alcocks or more writing by malan.. I see resident alien, and there were a couple of interviews from the last couple of years. Interesting that all of these books were actually at my local public library but A Just Defiance was not.. so I am considering purchasing it.

Reading Playing with the enemy now. So far what has been most interesting is all the pre-work that was done with Mandela to acclimate him to life outside of prison. It seems that even though these things were secret, there were a lot of people involved, as he went to houses of his prison guards etc... seems like there would be lots of people/places for information to leak out. How much of a surprise was it in SA when he was released?

As Ive read, one comment has been that all of these classics dont really reveal the current state of affairs after apartheid ended.

What would be good source for understanding current events and what the key issues and concerns are today in SA? Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading Playing with the enemy now. So far what has been most interesting is all the pre-work that was done with Mandela to acclimate him to life outside of prison. It seems that even though these things were secret, there were a lot of people involved, as he went to houses of his prison guards etc... seems like there would be lots of people/places for information to leak out. How much of a surprise was it in SA when he was released?
The impression that both my wife and I got from reading Playing the Enemy was how unbelievably fortunate South Africa was to have Nelson Mandela. I haven't read enough other stuff to know with 100% certainty, but Carlin sure makes it seem like the county would likely have gone up in flames without him. He seems like the essential figure to keep the blacks and whites from killing each other.

And relevant to this thread, I get the impression that we all might not be going on safari in South Africa if Mandela hadn't been around to keep the transition peaceful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.