Search

Kilimanjaro Timing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:41 am
TDC
Original Poster

Programs: WN, UA (old CO), AA
Kilimanjaro Timing

After lots of research on Kilimanjaro (maxed out the tabs in another browser window), I'm very tempted to squeeze this trip in to my winter holiday. How much time should I allow? I know that there's a better chance of success by taking another day or two on the climb. It also seems as though the inexpensive approach is to book a climb after arriving in Arusha. Given my frugal nature, this is the approach I'd prefer.

I'm thinking I might fly into Nairobi (flights appear to be substantially cheaper), arrive in the middle of the night, and then grab one of the busses to Arusha.
Day 1: Arrive Nairobi, catch a bus, arrive Arusha
Day 2: Search for climb operators, book climb.
Day 3: Begin seven-day climb
Day 9: Finish seven-day climb
Day 10: Depart Arusha
Day 11: Depart Nairobi

Is this realistic? Could I get away with a six-day climb? It's possible the last two days could be combined if I catch a late flight from Nairobi (of which there appear to be a few). I know that a general rule in Africa is that life moves slower, which might complicate things for someone like me.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You run the risk of a very bad experience if you choose an operator based primarily on cost and if you try to do it in six days.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:12 am
TDC
Original Poster

Programs: WN, UA (old CO), AA
Of course I know I need to shell out some money. My point is I want to pay a Tanzanian operator directly, avoiding extra costs tacked on by an office in the US. Plus, I don't need the nicest gear and a toilet-in-tow. If I can save $1000 (say) by using a local operator that doesn't need some extraneous features either, it's worth it to me.

My real question is about timing. Can I realistically arrive in Nairobi, ride to Arusha/Moshi, hike Kilimanjaro, and ride back to Nairobi in my timeframe?

Last edited by TDC; Apr 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:32 pm
Ambassador

Have you had a look at this thread?
Old May 1, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by TDC
My real question is about timing. Can I realistically arrive in Nairobi, ride to Arusha/Moshi, hike Kilimanjaro, and ride back to Nairobi in my timeframe?
Seems reasonable to me. The Nairobi-Arusha shuttle is 4-5 hours and very comfortable and convenient. I don't know what your NBO flight times are, but make sure the shuttle times match up with your flight times:

http://www.riverside-shuttle.com/

You could surely fly out of NBO the evening after your last day on the mountain. No need to spend an extra night in Nairobi at the end, unless you want to do some sightseeing.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:19 pm

When planning a trip like this I always rely on local knowledge. Use this:

http://tripcook.com/cc--Tanzania--Tour_Operators--tz8

to have your question answered by many tour operators, you will surely receive something valuable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.