FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa-459/)
-   -   Cape Town Hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/africa/1317398-cape-town-hotel.html)

lsk4jmi Feb 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Cape Town Hotel

I haven't seen any recent discussion on Cape Town hotel recommendations. I'll be there for 6 nights in October. Looking at Tripadvisor is a bit overwhelming and it seems that the options range from really cheap to really expensive. I'm looking for some middle road that is centrally located.

DLcoop1977 Feb 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Check out the tread on the Cape Town Hilton in the Hilton Honors forum. It is a hign end hotel, with some tricks to get it cheap.

naxos Feb 24, 2012 8:18 am

Not sure how you define cheap or expensive, but I just returned from a 6 night stay at An African Villa-check out the tripadvisor reviews-- they are overwhelmingly positive and accurate!

I hope I can return soon.

marshall200 Feb 24, 2012 9:03 am

I have just returned from Cape Town last week. I have always stayed in Dewaterkant.
great neighborhood, pretty much anything you need including a grocery store less than 3 minutes walk.
Most of the neighborhood is owned by Village and Life, you can book a room in a guesthouse or a private apartment or house.
I have stayed here every trip to
Cape Town for the past 10 years.

roadwarriorafrica Feb 24, 2012 10:59 pm

I always have a look at www.portfoliocollection.com Always find a nice hotel / guest house at a great price.

I am going in July and staying at The Last Word Constantia. 3 nights for the price of 2.

dlerner Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

We had a great stay last year at the Westin Cape Town.

oktane Mar 9, 2012 6:35 am

If you want something cheap and cheerful because you are travelling - Try the breakwater lodge. Its right on the Cape Town Waterfront, is 1/3 the price of nearby hotels, is connected to a hotel school, so you get cheap breakfasts and is rather quaint as its actually an old prison. The rooms are tiny, but I wouldnt expect to sit in these wasting away the evenings. A car rental is a must and they have free parking for guests

gallagher Mar 12, 2012 1:00 pm

My favorite Cape Town hotel at the moment is 15 on Orange which can be had for a very reasonable price if you search around.
I have also stayed at the Taj, the Cullinan and the One & Only. All good although the O&O is rather expensive :td:

lsk4jmi Mar 19, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks all for the info. I have a booking on hold with the Westin. I couldn't resist the great cash and points offer! Anyone have any experience staying at this hotel? I'll ask in the Starwood thread as well but i thought I may get more experienced responses about Cape Town here.

lsk4jmi Mar 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by lsk4jmi (Post 18230237)
Thanks all for the info. I have a booking on hold with the Westin. I couldn't resist the great cash and points offer! Anyone have any experience staying at this hotel? I'll ask in the Starwood thread as well but i thought I may get more experienced responses about Cape Town here.

Still hoping to get some feedback from FT'ers with Cape Town knowledge. I can't seem to grasp the layout of the city and what area to stay considering I won't have a car. I'm not planning on touring far outside the city area (no winery tours).

Thanks

roadwarriorafrica Mar 24, 2012 12:40 am

Near V&A Waterfront

My suggestion would be to stay near the V&A Waterfront, or make sure your hotel is close by and provides complimentary shuttle service to the V&A. Then you can walk around the V&A Waterfront which has restaurants, shops, etc.

Gardyloo Mar 24, 2012 9:50 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica (Post 18261978)
My suggestion would be to stay near the V&A Waterfront, or make sure your hotel is close by and provides complimentary shuttle service to the V&A. Then you can walk around the V&A Waterfront which has restaurants, shops, etc.

I stay at the Southern Sun Waterfront (it isn't) which has a shuttle to the V & A (or it's also walkable). Very nice hotel. http://www.southernsun.com/hotels/wa.../overview.aspx

brp1264 Mar 27, 2012 6:40 am

Holiday Inn Express

Heya,

I am in Cape Town right now (for work) and am staying in the Holiday Inn Express here in city centre. The rate is pretty cheap (corporate rate of ~1066 ZAR) and it being an express, breakfast is included. They also through in 30mb of wifi a day per device, which is enough to check your e-mail if needed and/or change a booking. Right now I am on weekly wifi, which runs ~500 ZAR for 7 days or 3Gig.

There are plenty of restaurants and Long Street is 2 blocks away. Tons of bars and awesome nightlife abounds in this area. Also, it's a quick cab ride away from V&A waterfront if you want to do some touristy things.

Only thing to watch out for here is to keep a low profile when out on the streets, especially alone at night. Only carry cash and maybe one credit card, as it is not uncommon to be pickpocketed or held up for money. There are a lot of vagrants around, but it's nothing worse than New Orleans, NYC, or Philippines/Thailand.

Enjoy Cape Town either way!

CFFrost May 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Ok, I'm looking for an opinion from some more seasoned Capetown travelers regarding hotel options.

It looks like Capetown has tons of great local hotels, but somewhat limited options for the big chains. I'm trying to travel mostly on points, and given my current point balances the most likely options are the Westin Cape Town or the Hilton Cape Town City Center. The Holiday Inn Express could maybe be an option, but much less likely.

So, do any of you have a preference between these properties?

honu May 26, 2013 9:08 am

I have a question too, but about CPT hotels. We're going back to South Africa, and, as we visited Cape Town in our previous trip (and loved it), this time we'd like to drive north, towards the West Coast NP, the morning after we arrive from JNB. So we would prefer to sleep near CPT (as we have a very late incoming flight), rather than going into the city and then having to fight our way through traffic the next day. Can anyone recommend a good hotel, preferably with a free airport shuttle?
My only previous experience of CPT hotels is the Road Lodge, quite close IIRC, which is basically a motel, ok, but just. Any other options?